Just so crazy with a Pico, Nano tank

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I'm just going to leave it alone and no testing for a week. I have a few lbs of Caribsea life rock coming today. I'll see how that goes. Thanks for all the advice, most appreciated.
Heads up. Waiting a week won't change the results of that API test. They are notorious for the .25.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heads up. Waiting a week won't change the results of that API test. They are notorious for the .25.
I'm going to find a different LFS in the area today. The problem where I am in LA, there's really just the one I've been going to.
His shop has been around since the stone age. He doesn't even use checkers. He just uses a refractometer and the dreaded API SW kit. He told me he judges results by sight. In his defense, his tanks, both salt and fresh are pristine.
My only other option is Petco and they don't even use kits. They use strips. I only use them for Ph.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are super hardy and API is notorious at giving a false reading. Happened to me at first also. I ended up getting a clown and adding to the tank. No adverse affect. I rarely test for ammonia but when I do I get a for sure 0 with API now. Just my $.02. Don’t bother buying another brand ammonia test as it’ll just be a waste seeing that ammonia doesn’t have to be tested after the cycle. Just ride with what you got.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are super hardy and API is notorious at giving a false reading. Happened to me at first also. I ended up getting a clown and adding to the tank. No adverse affect. I rarely test for ammonia but when I do I get a for sure 0 with API. Just my $.02. Don’t burger buying another brand ammonia test as it’ll just be a waste seeing that ammonia doesn’t have to be tested after the cycle. Just ride with what you got.
Thanks, I'm going to follow your lead. I'm just having a clown and an emerald crab. I'm not doing corals or any sensitive fish and I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. But I did make a list of what tools and chemicals you guys suggested if I do in the future.
I'll just admire all the big, beautiful tanks on here :) Thanks all.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm going to follow your lead. I'm just having a clown and an emerald crab. I'm not doing corals or any sensitive fish and I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. But I did make a list of what tools and chemicals you guys suggested if I do in the future.
I'll just admire all the big, beautiful tanks on here :) Thanks all.
You’re welcome. Just take it slow and you’ll be ok.
Life Rock does not equal live rock.

You have no live rock in your tank.
He’s correct but with time and good husbandry it’ll be live rock before you know it. Just gotta give the good bacteria a chance to inhabit the rock.

You’re most likely gonna want to get into corals and such, it’s an addiction lol. I suggest you get quality testing methods. I initially went with Red Sea for nitrate, phos, alk, mag and, calcium but, test procedure became annoying and trying to color match results, let’s be honest, sucks. Ended up goin with Hanna on alk, calcium and phos (on the fence with nitrate) and don’t regret it. I still use the Red Sea test kits when I feel I need to verify what hannas putting out. Life is soooooo much better with a digital readout. Best of luck!

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome. Just take it slow and you’ll be ok.

He’s correct but with time and good husbandry it’ll be live rock before you know it. Just gotta give the good bacteria a chance to inhabit the rock.

You’re most likely gonna want to get into corals and such, it’s an addiction lol. I suggest you get quality testing methods. I initially went with Red Sea for nitrate, phos, alk, mag and, calcium but, test procedure became annoying and trying to color match results, let’s be honest, sucks. Ended up goin with Hanna on alk, calcium and phos (on the fence with nitrate) and don’t regret it. I still use the Red Sea test kits when I feel I need to verify what hannas putting out. Life is soooooo much better with a digital readout. Best of luck!
Now, I'm confused. I currently have dry, base rock in. I ordered life rock which I understand is infused with bacteria. I'm assuming that will come to life at some point. Live rock is not in the budget right now.

So.......okay, I lied. I tested today. My ammonia is still .25, my nitrites are 0 and my nitrates at 20 ppm. I've attached pics. These were taking in morning sunlight with the flash off. If you guys agree that it's good for a hardy clown and perhaps an emerald crab, I'm getting them today.

Lastly, if I do get the fish today, will it be safe to put life rock in with fish in the tank? It just shipped last night, it won't arrive until Thursday. Many Thanks for all the help.

20210830_084835.jpg 20210830_084816.jpg 20210830_084912.jpg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, I'm confused. I currently have dry, base rock in. I ordered life rock which I understand with infused with bacteria. I'm assuming that will come to life at some point. Live rock is not in the budget right now.

So.......okay, I lied. I tested today. My ammonia is still .25, my nitrites are 0 and my nitrates at 20 ppm. I've attached pics. These were taking in morning sunlight with the flash off. If you guys agree that it's good for a hardy clown and perhaps an emerald crab, I'm getting them today.

Lastly, if I do get the fish today, will it be safe to put life rock in with fish in the tank? It just shipped last night, it won't arrive until Thursday. Many Thanks for all the help.

20210830_084835.jpg 20210830_084816.jpg 20210830_084912.jpg
You have nitrates which means that ammonia is being converted. Nitrite test can be thrown away lol, nitrite is non-toxic to fish in saltwater and don’t put too much thought into the rock. If you already have dry rock in, most likely there is already bacteria setting up shop…..

if you have bio-media in, you’re already ahead of the game. I started with dry rock and bio-media that came with tank (evo 13.5) and within a month was ready for fish.

like previously told, you can do a water change to bring nitrate down but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t. I’ve read of people having nitrates in triple digit numbers with livestock being good.

I see you’re a double reefer like I!!!! lol!

Last edited:

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll most likely go through bacteria blooms (slight milky water) pick up a bottle of seachem stability and add a capful of it after water change or accordingly based on your tank size. A capful is what I did for my evo. If you have a skimmer or UV sterilizer, Shut em off for a few hours.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We covered on nano-reef.com this nano is cycled. Your test kit is missing tan conversion

after directions are followed that reading above for nh3 is .025

search out the known safe levels of nh3 form ammonia, check them against .025

you ammonia nh3 is actually lower than .025 but in repeat, you’d need to buy a digital test kit to see it, salifert isn’t digital nor api. how you select for disease is where you should concern and be posting questions and showing quarantine tank preps etc. it’s not about the cycle, that was ready days ago. All future discovery on the setup needs to involve not adding untreated fish from a pet store into the setup/ what constitutes most causes of fish loss in the first eight months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have nitrates which means that ammonia is being converted. Nitrite test can be thrown away lol, nitrite is non-toxic to fish in saltwater and don’t put too much thought into the rock. If you already have dry rock in, most likely there is already bacteria setting up shop…..

if you have bio-media in, you’re already ahead of the game. I started with dry rock and bio-media that came with tank (evo 13.5) and within a month was ready for fish.

like previously told, you can do a water change to bring nitrate down but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t. I’ve read of people having nitrates in triple digit numbers with livestock being good.

I see you’re a double reefer like I!!!! lol!
hee hee, is a double reefer a good or a bad thing? I'm still learning reefing slang.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fifth post on the matter across boards:

this nano is cycled. Your test kit is missing tan conversion

after directions are followed that reading above for nh3 is .025

search out the known safe levels of nh3 form ammonia, check them against .025

you ammonia nh3 is actually lower than .025 but in repeat, you’d need to buy a digital test kit to see it, salifert isn’t digital. how you select for disease is where you should concern and be posting questions and showing quarantine tank preps etc. it’s not about the cycle, that was ready days ago. All future discovery on the setup needs to involve not adding untreated fish from a pet store into the setup/ what constitutes most causes of fish loss in the first eight months.
Thanks Brandon, won't post anymore until I upgrade. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to spam the board.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brandon, won't post anymore until I upgrade. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to spam the board.
By all means, ask the questions you want answers to. This is an information forum after all.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of the best things you can take away from your cycle testing in the globe tank and in this square one is that after ten days, any arrangement you created using bottled bacteria is done and no degree of api hashing will change that fact

said any seneye owner in history :)

it means you dont have to test to cycle reefs, this is 2021 the bottle bac has a label with a number of days on it, its correct.

I'm also saying if anyone can show me one single example on the internet of a failed reef tank cycle at day ten after adding bottle bac, I'll fess up in public that one example does exist.

That means no degree of testing back and forth makes for proof of a stalled cycle. a stalled cycle is a crashed reef tank, find me one ten days after setup ever posted online and link it here.

That will help you to never doubt cycling again, until such an example is posted.

right now someone is feverishly searching google return page 156 on key terms "stuck reef tank cycle"

and even though my posts on the matter ended on page 154 you're still only seeing rolls and rolls of no TAN pics, and nh3 is all we care about in reefing. not total ammonia, per details they hash out in the chemistry forum. You are also reading about 70% mistests because people used Prime and left it out of the description. Prime directly causes elevated ammonia misreads.

There are no stalled cycles, none, you are done because you're past day ten on a bottle bac run.

Last edited:

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, will do. I'll just keep it to this one thread. I got a little carried away :)
I found that using the search feature here sometimes helps find the answer you’re looking for but, I get it, sometimes we feel that time is against us. I’m most cases it’s not and time is what is usually needed to right wrongs…..unless it’s fish or coral disease. That’s when time is of the essence.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back