Just starting out... equipment question?

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there. Been reading a bunch on here and had an equipment question. I was given as a gift, by the wife, a whole Current USA setup. The dual IC Pro lights with mount, two powerheads, the return pump and the LOOP controller. My tank is a 20gal AIO tank and I would like to try for a LPS/softie tank. My question is can I use the equipment I was given? Is it going to work for what I want? I don't want to sell it if I don't have to, not to mention the wife would be very upset if I do. Thanks for the input.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds like a very nice gift and setup. You have everything you need aside from filter media, sand & rocks :) Best of luck

OP
OP
Dizzle26

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a very nice gift and setup. You have everything you need aside from filter media, sand & rocks :) Best of luck
I actually just bought the filter media and the rock and sand, I just need water. But this last weekend when I was getting ready to start with everything I came down with Covid. So I've been stuck in the back bedroom quarantining from everyone, and naturally I've been scouring this forum and I'm itching to get started with my tank.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I started with Current USA lights and pumps. Its ok at its best. I do like the lightning effect it had.

IMO Current USA lights is weak. I could not grow anything but softies with it. Their selling point was a complete lighting and pump package at a reasonable price. I spent $300 and couldn't even recover $75 back. I sold it all for $50

Sorry man, don't want to be a downer as its a gift from the wife.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry to hear! Get better soon :) Sounds like you got it down though. Keep reading up and best of luck!

OP
OP
Dizzle26

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Current USA lights and pumps. Its ok at its best. I do like the lightning effect it had.

IMO Current USA lights is weak. I could not grow anything but softies with it. Their selling point was a complete lighting and pump package at a reasonable price. I spent $300 and couldn't even recover $75 back. I sold it all for $50

Sorry man, don't want to be a downer as its a gift from the wife.
She got the whole thing as a package deal. If I can only grow softies then I can only grow softies. I'm ok with that. I know that if I want to upgrade to a bigger tank I'm going to have to upgrade the equipment as well. No need to be sorry. I appreciate the info.

Sorry to hear! Get better soon :) Sounds like you got it down though. Keep reading up and best of luck!
Thanks so much. I appreciate it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back