Just upgraded from a biocube (have had it for 8 years) to an aquatop 48.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor.gif
two primes over that footprint of 36x18x18 would work fine for a mixed reef with sps corals towards the top portion of the tank
#WelcometoR2R

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard with the sump
If you go the prime or any single "compact" led where is essentially a led puck, you'll probably need two to get good coverage in the middle and less on the sides.
You can probably get by with 1 Hydra 26.

What do you plan on keeping in the tank? Softie? Lps? Sps?

Personally, I tried the programmable led route with my 20 long. But I ended up playing with it and constantly changing the settings. I went with T5's and life is much better.

Any thought to T5's or a led combo?

OP
OP
Allison Craig

Allison Craig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the prime or any single "compact" led where is essentially a led puck, you'll probably need two to get good coverage in the middle and less on the sides.
You can probably get by with 1 Hydra 26.

What do you plan on keeping in the tank? Softie? Lps? Sps?

Personally, I tried the programmable led route with my 20 long. But I ended up playing with it and constantly changing the settings. I went with T5's and life is much better.

Any thought to T5's or a led combo?
I would like to have the ability to keep both lps and sps. I have not thought about that option, I am going to look into it now! Thank you for your suggestion!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing is, it's not a very deep tank so all the AI products would be able to grow what you want. It just depends on how large of an area they'll be able to do that in.

One thing to look at is all the functions of the light, that you'll never use. For me, I'm never home when the lights come on, and rarely in the room when the turn off. So ramping up and down isn't a concern for me.

Things like that made it easier for me to pick a "simpler" light.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a 2ft 4 bulb basic fixture on my standard 29g, you can find on Amazon for about $60. I swapped out the bulbs for some coralife bulbs, but may go with some ati's in the future.

I'm not that well versed in 3ft fixtures. I would imagine ATI makes one that fits.

I'll see what I can find

OP
OP
Allison Craig

Allison Craig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a 2ft 4 bulb basic fixture on my standard 29g, you can find on Amazon for about $60. I swapped out the bulbs for some coralife bulbs, but may go with some ati's in the future.

I'm not that well versed in 3ft fixtures. I would imagine ATI makes one that fits.

I'll see what I can find
Thank you!

Back