Just When I Thought I Had QT Under Control . . . Bacteria?!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a group of fish in QT since early April. Some showed signs of velvet, so in went CopperSafe, to an API reading of about 1.75 ppm.

Four weeks in, and I performed a partial water change, as the tank has been persistently cloudy, with a yellow-green tint. Same as all the other water changes, but given the timing, I felt it safe (even prudent) not to replace the copper in the new water, and to dose Prazi-Pro, as I was again seeing some flashing and head-shaking. (Couldn't be velvet, right...? Nobody is showing any spots, no dusting . . .)

It wasn't long before the powderblue started flashing more vigorously, and swimming in the flow of the powerhead. (Tank is a 75 gallon, powered by two Aqua-Clear 110s [foam blocks only] and a venturi powerhead blowing bubbles and current across the back.) Bring the copper up again - this time to a solid 2+ ppm.

Everyone settled down a bit, everyone is back to eating aggressively, everything's good, except that the tank is still murky. Performed a 30+ gallon water change on Monday, replenishing CopperSafe as I went, which helped ... but only temporarily.

Not good enough. The regal angelfish, in particular, is rubbing her gills on the PVC, head-shaking and fin-flicking, even a week and a half back into copper. Her fins were looking ... off ... but not really anything I could nail down - until tonight. Pretty sure that she's got a nasty bacterial infection, especially at the base of her right pectoral. I'm not surprised, as there seems to be a persistent, nasty bacterial bloom throughout the tank.

I won't deny it - I'm in over my head again.

Video below, focusing on the angelfish. Unfortunately, she wouldn't show her right pectoral until near the end of the clip.

I've got some Erythromycin, some Furan-2 ... I think, some Kanaplex ... floating around. Time to rip open some packets? (And do I have enough to dose a 75? For how long ? . . . <goes to check>)

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that looks infected. there may be something else going on internally as well. I hope not, but all you can do is try. I would go with the kanaplex and furan2 together, though it's scary to do while the water is that cloudy. Just curious, did you break this tank down and sterilize before starting this newest batch of fish?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't, but clearly should have.

What effect should I be watching for between the cloudy water and antibiotics?

~Bruce

Well even though you have all that filtration and the powerhead, lack of O2 can still be a problem. Then there is the effect the antibiotics might have on the other fish that don't need it. It's tricky. If you have another smaller tank to move the angel to, it might be best to do that.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha.

I've got other tanks, but nothing I could set up tonight. I might prep a water change though, in case things get hairy under the antibiotics. (I've only got enough Furan-2 for 24 hours ... hadn't planned to visit any fish shops for the next several weeks, but . . . )

Thanks, Meredith.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many rounds of Prazipro did you get in? I would be tempted to give the Regal a FW dip to check for flukes. I'm sure you have velvet in play here, but I'm wondering if flukes could also be lingering (double trouble).

About the cloudy water ... How long after you do the WC does it go back to being cloudy?

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan-2 and Kanaplex are in ... and the regal looks twice as unhappy as she did in the video.

The 30 gallon WC on Monday got the water halfway to clear - by Wednesday, it was as cloudy as before.

One round of Prazi only, then back into copper. (I've tried Prazi and copper before - it didn't end well.)

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 30 gallon WC on Monday got the water halfway to clear - by Wednesday, it was as cloudy as before.

I would try this little experiment: Mix up some new SW, wait a few days, and see if it remains clear or turns cloudy. It could be your salt.

Or any chance that a contaminant of some kind is getting in the QT water?

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is Reef Crystals ... but I suppose everyone's entitled to a bad batch now and again.

Overnight mixing had it crystal clear ... and it's clear in the 65 display and in the 220 as well, so pretty sure it's just the QT.

Question . . . is it normal for CopperSafe to cloud up when it hits the water? 'Cause mine does.

QT is in the living room (different corner from 65, and across the room from the 220) - but there's a good part of the day when I'm not watching it, so I suppose a contaminant is possible . . .

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question . . . is it normal for CopperSafe to cloud up when it hits the water? 'Cause mine does.

It shouldn't. Copper doesn't normally cloud the water unless it's interacting with another chemical (Prazipro, antibiotics, etc.)

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought.

Perhaps it's reacting with the remnants of Prazi in the water, but watch how quickly it reacted when I tipped this vial (just the drops remaining in the bottom) into the flow of an Aqua-Clear - video shot about a week and a half ago:

~Bruce

P.S. - The angel - and all the fish - are out and about this morning, eagerly snarfing "LRS Herbivore Frenzy" . . . fingers are crossed!

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maritimer That is strange! :eek: BTW, what is all that noise? Is the impeller on your powerfilter hitting something or going out? o_O

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. That is pretty weird. My copper system at the store will cloud up just about every time I dose prazi in there. It goes away after a water change 48 hours later though and doesn't come back until I dose prazi again.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if there's any possibility I got an off-beat bottle of CopperSafe?!

Water change tomorrow, and I've gotta get out there and find more doses of antibiotics. (The perils of having a 75 gallon QT.....)

Everyone seems to be as well as can be expected in such a chemical soup, and they all seem to have a hearty appetite this evening.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The water's a bit less "cloudy", but much more yellow from the Furan-2. The angelfish is holding in, but her condition has declined pretty significantly. All other fish seem uncomfortable, but are going about their business.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The water's a bit less "cloudy", but much more yellow from the Furan-2. The angelfish is holding in, but her condition has declined pretty significantly. All other fish seem uncomfortable, but are going about their business.

Any way you can move the angel into a different QT?

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe ...

I'd have to purchase a new filter & heater, so certainly not before tomorrow . . . and then figure out where to _put_ the darned thing! I do have an Aqua-Clear sponge that's been sitting in my sump for a couple of months.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe ...

I'd have to purchase a new filter & heater, so certainly not before tomorrow . . . and then figure out where to _put_ the darned thing! I do have an Aqua-Clear sponge that's been sitting in my sump for a couple of months.

Sometimes a fish just needs a fresh environment and a break from the meds.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's got a nasty white buildup (slimecoat? bacteria? both??) covering half of her face, and a decayed-looking pinkness to her pectoral bases. She really looks significantly worse than she did in the video posted above. I'd love to put her in clean water, but hesitate to take her out of medication!

~Bruce

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back