Just When I Thought I Had QT Under Control . . . Bacteria?!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's got a nasty white buildup (slimecoat? bacteria? both??) covering half of her face, and a decayed-looking pinkness to her pectoral bases. She really looks significantly worse than she did in the video posted above. I'd love to put her in clean water, but hesitate to take her out of medication!

What meds is she currently in? Refresh my memory.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CopperSafe at 2.0, Furan-2 (daily dose; 7 pouches) and KanaPlex (three scoops every two days)

I would add Metroplex to the mix, just in case brook is also in play here.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay .... found my Metronidazole . . .

It's in the form of "General Cure" - still OK to dose? (No wrasse in the QT, but there is a parrotfish, which is a labrid . . . )

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay .... found my Metronidazole . . .

It's in the form of "General Cure" - still OK to dose? (No wrasse in the QT, but there is a parrotfish, which is a labrid . . . )

Yes - GC is a prazi/metro mix. So, if you haven't already dewormed you are about to do so. ;)

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Nother update ... and it's not very pretty.

The angelfish has taken to hiding in a pipe. She'll come out, swim a circle around it, and go right back in. When there's LRS and Hikari "Mega Angel" in the water, she'll look at it for a moment . . . and go back into her pipe.

The butterfly's fins, especially her anal, are becoming ... tattered. She eats aggressively, even flake and pellet.

The powderblue tang has puffy white growth appearing on his right pectoral fin. He swims well, and eats, but ... I'm worried for all of them.

The striped parrotfish and orange-spot blenny seem more-or-less unaffected.

Two of three blackbar chromis are gone, the pair of Talbot's damsels seem unaffected, but are now chasing the remaining chromis.

20 gallon water change this evening; copper replaced, new doses of Furan-2 and Kanaplex added. Only five packets of Furan-2 remain - the shop I picked up a box of salt at today "had one box, but someone bought it." I swear, it's like trying to buy _drugs_!

Video shows the damage to the butterfly's anal fin, and hopefully the tang's pectoral as well. He wasn't cooperating . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it back.

Even the angel came out and popped a few bits of Reef Frenzy - though not too enthusiastically, and her targeting is off. (Everybody else _stayed_ out, and chowed down.)

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, although her right eye is still a mess, with what appear to be ragged strings of bacteria hanging off of it, that seems to be the worst of it ... and overall, she looks better.

I'm tentatively hopeful that last night was "the darkest before dawn".

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay the course for at least 10 days, my friend. Antibiotics are notoriously slow acting with fish and it sounds like maybe you've turned the corner.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've scored four more boxes of Furan-2. Took two shops to fill the order, but that'll get me out to the ten days.

In future, I may just pop the C-note for the bulk jar.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where we're at:

Tonight, I'm going to run a 20 gallon water change, and drop my last dose of Furan-2. I'll also dose Kanaplex and General Cure (Metronidazole / Praziquantel).

The tang is looking good. The butterfly's fin is growing back. Only the regal angel, whose infection started it all, and was the worst of all, has any issues remaining, and that seems focused on her left eye. She's feeding and swimming well, but have a look at her eye in the video below:

Should I go out shopping for more Furan-2 tomorrow?

Is there another course that might be more appropriate??

~Bruce

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back