Just When I Thought I Had QT Under Control . . . Bacteria?!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I go out shopping for more Furan-2 tomorrow?

Is there another course that might be more appropriate??

~Bruce

You may need to isolate the angel and treat with erythromycin. It's good for eye infections like that. Further treatment is needed for her anyway, but switching to this med may garner better results.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update ...

Used up my Erythromycin, but continued with an additional dose of Kanaplex. Regal's eye is looking _much_ better, though not quite 100%.

Was home this afternoon at lunchtime, and dropped some Ocean Nutrition and NLS pellets into the tank. Regal scarfed 'em like there's no tomorrow, and of course, had to poop.

It was like someone dropped an M-80 into my grandmother's sewing box. White threads uncoiling everywhere. <sigh>

Focus, man - Focus!!

It's on top of some thawing frozen food as I type this, along with an equal amount of General Cure, but . . . really, Universe?!

~Bruce

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, I feel like we are QT twins these days. My larger clown just had a nice white string hanging. Like, really? These fish have had just about every treatment in my arsenal.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uggh - I mean ... seriously?

Well, at least they're keeping us in practice, so we don't come on here with a cocky attitude, LOL!

~Bruce, sorry to see you having to deal with it, but knowing you will.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question . . .

If dosing General Cure (= Metro + Prazi) through food, is it acceptable to dose it in the water as well?

~Bruce

You can, though unless you have a serious need, I would just stick with one method or the other.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just when you think you're out of the woods . . .

The yellow longnose butterfly fish has been eating everything, and seemed to be just fine ... until this evening:

20170612_212751.jpg
20170612_212712.jpg

The only thing I see wrong is the red discoloration along the base of her dorsal fin - oh, and the fact that she's dead. Any idea what new form of nastiness I'm dealing with here?

~Bruce

P.S.; It should be noted that all the other fish seem just fine, and ate heartily this evening - though I'm thinking the regal angel may have lost the use of her left eye in the bacterial infection a couple of weeks ago.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce, that looks like a bacterial infection to me. These red streaks can pop suddenly on new butterflies and when they do, this stuff is what I use to save them: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

Can't really take credit for it. I learned about NFG from one of the masters, and IMO it's a "must have" when QTing angels & butterflyfish. Sorry for your loss, my friend. :(

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads-up, Humblefish!

I'll have to see if I can't get some of that somewhere. I've had this one for over a month - she'd already been through a battle with bacteria; the black edge on her anal is where it grew back. Thought we were gonna make it.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ug.

Why is it always one of those meds that I _know_ I've seen locally, but can't find _today_.

Any idea whether this is likely to be isolated to the butterfly, or more likely to spread to the angel, blenny, parrotfish, damsels & tang?

This is one round of QT that I just can't _wait_ to clear out. I'm going to laugh maniacally as I pour bleach and vinegar into this thing, and pretend I can hear these bacteria screaming . . .

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea whether this is likely to be isolated to the butterfly, or more likely to spread to the angel, blenny, parrotfish, damsels & tang?

Impossible to say without a scope ID. Fish are much more likely to successfully overcome gram-positive bacteria via their natural immune system. Gram-negative... not so much. :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one round of QT that I just can't _wait_ to clear out. I'm going to laugh maniacally as I pour bleach and vinegar into this thing, and pretend I can hear these bacteria screaming . . .

I can totally relate to this. lol I did this very thing in the commercial fish system at work a year ago. Brook and infections were out of control (stupid clownfish supplier who will remain nameless!!). I literally moved all the remaining fish out, treated them for brook and infection and BLEACHED the entire 900 gallon system. It was empty for two weeks as I restarted it and attempted to cycle it. An entire gallon of Seed by aquavitro and a few large bottles of that live Fritz stuff. Boy what a time that was.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Begin.

Again.

Begin again, little pig . . .

(Read a book about Merlyn and Arthur once that opened up that way, never really got those lines outta my head...)

Two weeks ago, feeling safe once again, I did a water change on this QT and didn't replace the copper. The next day, the powderblue tang was puffing like a racing steam engine. Again. Re-dosed copper to 2.0+, but the tang didn't seem to be gaining a lot of relief, and I'm now running low on Coppersafe - which isn't easy to find 'round me. Cupramine can be had, but chelated copper? Cross half the state for that. (Granted, CT is a small state!) And another water change _really_ needs to be done . . .

Reef-A-Palooza. Someone's sure to have Coppersafe at RAP, right? Aquarium Village _had_ some, but had sold out of two boxes by the time I found his booth.

Then I spotted the Fritz booth - and the bottles of Coppersafe on the shelf, and I grabbed one . . . only to discover that they're empty displays. The young lady had another product that I could try though - Fritz "Pro" chelated copper. She's got two 4oz. bottles, priced at $10, but the dosage on the bottle is 5ml / 10 gallons.

20170628_191837.jpg

Fill a 32 gallon Brute can with salt water, add 15ml of the Fritz Pro . . . and it's barely measurable. Empty the remaining Coppersafe; 30ml _and_ the rest of the bottle of Fritz Pro (There were grey fuzzy things in it that I threw out - eewwww!) into the barrel, and it looks good to go.

Here's how my copper is testing now in the 75 (One is the vial on the card, the other is with the vial being held just above):
20170629_181842.jpg

20170629_181859.jpg

New plan.

Keep these guys in this tank until late next week. Remove one of the AquaClears, disinfect it with vinegar & bleach, and mount it on a 40-B that I have available, with a sponge block that's been sitting in my sump for a few months. Transfer all the fish from the QT to the 40-B, and _nuke_ the QT with bleach, vinegar, hot water, sunshine and spite.

Pray. Hard.

Grr. This has gone on too long, and isn't good for anybody.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce, I think your Cu level is pretty high. Closer to 4ppm than 2ppm IMO.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Humblefish & Meredith ... Sounds like there's another WC in my future.

<sigh>

That's what I get for doing the water change at one in the morning.

The tang's the only one in the tank who seems uncomfortable in it, oddly - regal angel is completely unphased.

~Bruce

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back