Justin's dream build - Innovative Marine Nuvo 150 INT - Pic Heavy & Video!

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They want me to send it in for a tech to look at. I don't know if there is necessarily anything wrong with either the dry side or the driver. The guy I got the older replacement dry sides from said they worked fine. I actually bought two from him and both do the same thing with the driver. It's so weird. I wonder if the dry sides are just too old maybe?
Could be . I just know that after I dropped my dry side it never worked again and did the same as yours. I took it apart to try and figure it out and watched the piece not connect or work insink. Being the magnetic drivers inside.

OP
OP
jp1986

jp1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be . I just know that after I dropped my dry side it never worked again and did the same as yours. I took it apart to try and figure it out and watched the piece not connect or work insink. Being the magnetic drivers inside.
I just checked running the unit without the wet side and it works fine then. No rattle or shake, just a smooth hum. When I try and run it with the wet side, it is like it stalls. I know I have the correct spacer so I am at a loss.

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tight was the fit of the 44" sump inside the cabinet? I am looking at the same setup and assumed based on the listed dimensions they simply would not fit. Is the sump evenly supported?

Tank looks amazing.

OP
OP
jp1986

jp1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tight was the fit of the 44" sump inside the cabinet? I am looking at the same setup and assumed based on the listed dimensions they simply would not fit. Is the sump evenly supported?

Tank looks amazing.
Very tight width wise. Just barely fit. Front to back there is plenty of room. Since it is the width of the stand bottom I would say it is evenly supported.

OP
OP
jp1986

jp1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a long time since my last update on the tank. Everything seems to be doing well except for two things.

1.) I have been fighting some brown algae on my sand for a couple months now. Not on the rock, just on the sand. Have tried less feeding, stirring the sand, changing out filter socks more often, GFO, and even got new gyre pumps thinking the flow wasn't enough but none has seemed to help. Though it was dinos but seems more just like diatoms. Changed my RODI to include a third DI canister so now it run cation, anion, then di resin which is suppose to help with silicate so we shall see if that helps.

20210623_182232.jpg

2.) Statrted a refugium with Chaeto. Got the GRO light from Neptune. Switched and went refugium first in the sump then the skimmer in the next section. Seemed good at first but now it's just like I have hair algae in the refugium and the chaeto is dying. I did add more chaeto thinking there maybe wasn't enough to take off. Now stuff seems ok but the orignal stuff is starting to turn brown. There's also this like paste of green algae on the top of the water in the refugium section. Not sure what I am doing wrong there.

20210623_181303.jpg

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good. Scoop out the surface scum in the fuge. The chaeto may need more flow. Consider adding a small powerhead to add movement.

Tritium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things going? And thoughts on the tank at this point? I think this is what I am leaning towards when I inevitably want to upgrade to something bigger.

OP
OP
jp1986

jp1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things going? And thoughts on the tank at this point? I think this is what I am leaning towards when I inevitably want to upgrade to something bigger.
Things are going good, not great. Just lost most of my LPS coral, but I believe that is my own doing from switching salts and doing too big of a water change. Really like the tank, but the shape of the internal overflow does bother me. Can't put anything on the back which is where I'd ideally like my pumps.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Sorry to hear about your corals. I am looking at this tank with the external overflow long term as my next big build as the dimensions are very nice. Hopefully stuff will rebound. Looking forward to more updates.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Things are going good, not great. Just lost most of my LPS coral, but I believe that is my own doing from switching salts and doing too big of a water change. Really like the tank, but the shape of the internal overflow does bother me. Can't put anything on the back which is where I'd ideally like my pumps.
Everything will be fine

Last edited:

Marckoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of reefing, I finally was able to get my dream tank...the Innovative Marine Nuvo INT 150. I've had wide tanks, tall tanks, but always really wanted a deep tank. Here is how the process went!

Equipment:

Aquarium - Innovative Marine Nuvo INT 150

Stand - Innovative Marine APS matching stand

Canopy - DIY floating canopy

Lighting - Reef Breeders 32 v2

Sump - Trigger Systems sapphire CR44

Return Pump - Reef Octopus Varios 8

Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus Regal 150 INT

Heater - 2x BRS 200 watt titanium heaters with BRS temp controller

Powerheads - 2x Vortech MP40s

ATO - Tunze Osmolator

Controller - Apex Lite

The day before the tank was supposed to arrive, I received a phone call while at work from a number I didn't recognize. Being at work I just silenced the call and thought nothing of it. Got another call a couple minutes later and they left a voicemail. Finally got a chance to check the voicemail and it was the freight carrier driver saying "Uh Hey, I'm at your house and you're not home...please call me!" Thankfully I was able to contact him and quickly run home and take care of it. He was nice enough to bring it into the garage for me but he refused to stay while I inspected it. He ended up notating the delivery slip "pending inspection" and was gone. Knowing I had to get back to work, I got the lid off and inspected what I could quick and everything looked great. Back at work nothing productive was done the rest of the day as all I could think about was getting home to get this thing fully unpacked!
20200818_121851.jpg
20200818_122905.jpg

20200821_212957.jpg

20200822_175223.jpg

I started assembling the stand as soon as I got home. Instructions were decent and I had my son Logan to help me too. Amazed at how light it was but yet still very sturdy. Loved the side doors that open up. Makes access to the sump so much nicer. Wish the front doors were maybe just two big doors instead of three smaller ones because with the one brace that has to be installed, it can make access from the front a little tight. After getting it all assembled, Logan of course had to double check my work!
20200819_090438.jpg
20200819_090433.jpg
20200819_091727.jpg
20200819_091830.jpg

After that was done, it was time to move in the tank. Took four big guys to muscle this thing downstairs. Not horribly heavy just kind of awkward being so wide and deep. We ended up using an appliance dolly to move it. Two guys on top holding straps that were through the dolly handles and two guys on the bottom for support. That way it could just slide down the steps. Went smoothly and got it up onto the stand.
20200822_192435.jpg
20200822_185111.jpg

Plumbing the sump was up next. Not my first time working with pvc, but still it had been awhile. Went with the blue pvc from BRS. Also made sure I had plenty of unions for easy maintenance. Screwed up when gluing it all together...I forgot to put the screw cap thing on one of the unions before I glued it! Had to cut the pipe then and order a replacement union. Always order more than you need for plumbing for situations just like this! Once it was all glued and had time to dry, I filled with RODI water for a leak test. Some small drips so had to tighten some bulkheads.
20200826_113356.jpg
20200830_205454.jpg
20200830_190908.jpg
20200830_190914.jpg

Next was on to my canopy. With using the lights I had on my current system, a Reef Breeders 32 v2, I knew I couldn't just use the legs that came with it as they wouldn't be wide enough. A floating canopy was the way I wanted to go. I figured it would look a lot nicer, plus I could hide the cords for the light making it look even nicer. The wall the tank was going on was opposite my storage/utility room. I knew I would have 3 studs I could mount the canopy too. I made the frame out of 1x4s with the back piece that would mount to the wall being a 2x6. I made the sides and front cover with just a 1/8" MDF board I cut to the size I wanted. Six 3 inch lag bolts were used to secure it to the stud. Turned out better than I thought it would.
20200831_191126.jpg
20200901_141540.jpg
20200904_161737.jpg
20200904_161721.jpg
received_1493885394147972.jpeg

With all that taken care of, I could now start getting everything out of the old tank. Water was drained into buckets that then was put into a 40 gallon breeder with a heater so the fish could be in there while I figured out my aquascape. I first drained a lot of the water and then grabbed the fish out before removing any rock. That way the water was clearer and cleaner. Was worried I wouldn’t have enough rock for the new tank, had about 70 lbs, but actually was just the perfect amount. I tried to do a lot of swim throughs and leave a lot of room all around the perimeter of the tank. Really liked how it turned out.
20200902_204029.jpg
20200902_204039.jpg
20200902_204059.jpg
20200903_091906.jpg

Got the rock set up, the new dry sand in, and the new saltwater I had previously made pumped back into the new tank. I did put in a cup of established sand from the old tank and did add some bacteria additive to help seed the new system. Also moved a marine pure block I had in the 65 gallon aquarium to the new sump to help as well. Checked the tank temp and salinity of the new tank and it matched exactly to the tank the fish were currently in so I didn’t even acclimate the fish or inverts. Just transferred to the new tank. Finally, the new system was all set up and running. Very happy with how everything turned out!
20200904_155738.jpg
20200904_155748.jpg
20200904_155756.jpg
20200904_155804.jpg
20200907_120120.jpg
20200907_120246.jpg
20200907_120318.jpg
20200907_121325.jpg
@jp1986 love the setup and helper! I have almost the same setup; curious - did your IM drain come glued or just push fit? if push did you glue? Thanks!

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good build. How do you like the IM150 so far, any pros and cons?

OP
OP
jp1986

jp1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go external. Easier placement for powerheads as you can't put any on the back wall with the internal. Also, that whole back area is an overflow on the internal, so a lot of detritus settles to the bottom on the sides and its very hard to clean.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go external. Easier placement for powerheads as you can't put any on the back wall with the internal. Also, that whole back area is an overflow on the internal, so a lot of detritus settles to the bottom on the sides and its very hard to clean.
^^ This. Not to mention loosing valuable space in the aquarium.

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for your build thread! I have the 150 EXT coming this week. I've been eyeing the same sump you have. Tell me, can it handle the backflow when the return pump is off without check valves? IM tells me up to 17 gallons can be displaced to the sump and I haven't been able to find a sump with the capacity to handle that. Even the CR44 seems to be a couple gallons shy even with the water level set to the minimum 7". I'm wondering if IM added a safety factor to their estimate that's not realistic. If it is, the IM sump ( which you cant buy separately) or a custom are the only options if you're not comfortable relying on check valves.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back