Justin's lagoon 25 build

Colin Levy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you decide on a skimmer?

I bought a used IM Ghost Skimmer for my IM25. Heard horror stories of the microbubbles but figured, like others, I could find a work around. Nope. Tried everything.

So been in the market for a different one. Want something that fits in the 2nd chamber, but the choice are limited

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought a used IM Ghost Skimmer for my IM25. Heard horror stories of the microbubbles but figured, like others, I could find a work around. Nope. Tried everything.

So been in the market for a different one. Want something that fits in the 2nd chamber, but the choice are limited
Loving mine, hard to find but skims like a champ. Cadlights pls50.
7cac51057838890addeebf122d554f99.jpg

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually I just installed a ghost skimmer on my tank 2 days ago. I just haven’t had time to do an update. I had micro bubbles for about 6 hours and they went away. I got lucky.
One way around them is to put some filter floss between the skimmer and the wall leading to the return area. That works very well for eliminating the micro bubble problem.

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving mine, hard to find but skims like a champ. Cadlights pls50.
7cac51057838890addeebf122d554f99.jpg
. I was looking at this skimmer myself, but wanted a more low profile look. If my ghost skimmer craps out I may bite the bullet and get one.

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time. Got my ghost skimmer installed, and my first corals.
D757993E-12B9-4D9F-AD16-5623A8E0D5EB.jpeg
Group photo

5954F4D5-8405-4624-A063-9CC062ADF4F5.jpeg
WWC Pretty in pink zoas
43952A63-181E-4670-8B14-DEF3DE7F7C61.jpeg
WWC green birds nest
B0C6D2B5-EA70-4B3E-8503-C0984280BDAD.jpeg
WWC bullion favia
87C728B2-EB40-4AAD-93FE-5A86BADA632F.jpeg
Acan coral from my LFS 7A9E87FC-94B3-42F6-B6A5-C7C5FFECB5DE.jpeg
Red mushroom from my LFS
4A26F07C-DBA8-4285-ACDB-7BD4A1988247.jpeg
WWC neon blasto
4C0FF9A8-DE2E-4258-A183-71136E140AC1.jpeg
WWC green star polyps(not opened up yet)

I picked up the 2 from my LFS last weekend and ordered a 5 frag mixed pack from @WWC and couldn’t be happier. They have been acclimating to my lights and I’ll start moving them to their locations soon. Updated pics to come after they are placed.

P.S. sorry for the crappy pics. I need to get some filters, or just a good camera.

Colin Levy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I just installed a ghost skimmer on my tank 2 days ago. I just haven’t had time to do an update. I had micro bubbles for about 6 hours and they went away. I got lucky.
One way around them is to put some filter floss between the skimmer and the wall leading to the return area. That works very well for eliminating the micro bubble problem.

I have had mine running for probably 3 or 4 days now. I have read hundreds of posts from people on this and tried a lot of it. Turning the unit 180 helped some, but still a ton of bubbles. I kind of tried the filter floss thing, just couldn't find a good way to put it in. Would you be able to get a decent photo of yours?

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine running for probably 3 or 4 days now. I have read hundreds of posts from people on this and tried a lot of it. Turning the unit 180 helped some, but still a ton of bubbles. I kind of tried the filter floss thing, just couldn't find a good way to put it in. Would you be able to get a decent photo of yours?
I’m not home right now. I’ll get a good pic of it tomorrow after work and post it for you

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Colin Levy sorry it took so long to get back to you. Here are a few pics of my skimmer installed and running.

First 2 pics are of it installed and skimming
12E1BA24-B229-4415-9B58-A90A28CD6FF5.jpeg FCA61D52-0CA7-4CC4-B7ED-3504DA30619E.jpeg

This pic is showing where I put the filter floss. My finger closest to the skimmer, there is a gap between the chamber wall and skimmer.
F183D71B-5412-48D9-83F8-F04EEABE5BB9.jpeg

I took a piece of floss the length of the gap and carefully used my feeding tongs and pushed Flush with the top of the wall. Just make sure that it is not so low that most of the water runs over the top of the floss.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a couple new additions to my aquatic family.

First up is a skunk cleaner shrimp. He’s hiding under this ledge. I’ll try and I get a better pic once he is comfortable.
1F379FE3-1E53-4952-BD67-78D198D9A450.jpeg

And here is my yellow watchman goby. He was openly swimming around for half a day and now resides in my firefish’s cave.
01BAE3DC-7590-47B6-8CA5-BB92213AFE1E.jpeg
I thought it was funny when I was trying to locate him when he disappeared. I looked under the ledge where my fire fish lives and saw 2 heads poking out and the shrimp hanging upside down on the ledge. They are one big, happy family in there.

Colin Levy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Justin Simmons

Somehow I overlooked those pictures and just finally saw them. Still been struggling with the microbubbles after 3-4 weeks. To the point I am considering getting a different skimmer. I have tried different variations of the filter floss in that section, and it definitely helps the microbubbles. Brings them from thousands to maybe just a hundred...but any is too many.

What size filter floss piece are you stuffing in that section? I know you have it as wide as the chamber, but how deep? Maybe mine is too small/big. Also, you have the top of the filter floss flush with the top of that overflow wall?

Hopefully you can shed some light. I am giving up on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Justin Simmons

Somehow I overlooked those pictures and just finally saw them. Still been struggling with the microbubbles after 3-4 weeks. To the point I am considering getting a different skimmer. I have tried different variations of the filter floss in that section, and it definitely helps the microbubbles. Brings them from thousands to maybe just a hundred...but any is too many.

What size filter floss piece are you stuffing in that section? I know you have it as wide as the chamber, but how deep? Maybe mine is too small/big. Also, you have the top of the filter floss flush with the top of that overflow wall?

Hopefully you can shed some light. I am giving up on it.
I use a piece that is the width of the chamber and about 1 1/2 inches deep. I put it in where it is flush with the overflow wall. I tried a couple different types of floss and the one that worked best was the poly filter floss from InTank.
66EC0103-D477-4946-96D1-A4CA5B0CA0EF.jpeg
Now the only time I get micro bubbles is when I turn off the skimmer during maintenance then turn it back on, but it only last like 15 minutes.
I’m not sure if maybe I got lucky or you got unlucky with the skimmer. I hope this helps you out.

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas came early for me. I picked up a reefkeeper lite with an SLX module and ph probe on a Black Friday sale. I got it mounted on a board that is going to be a false wall in a cabinet I’m going to make soon. Please ignore the mess of wires as it’s only temporary.
1B5D92CD-2632-4DEA-BF29-02ED674EB915.jpeg Here is a FTS. It’s coming along quite nicely.
269D8B49-3E1C-4934-A990-0255264433D2.jpeg

Updated stocking list:
2 Wyoming white clownfish
Purple fire fish
Yellow watchman goby
Green acan
Red mushroom coral
WWC green birds nest
WWC neon blasto
WWC bullion favia
WWC pretty in pink zoanthids
WWC green star polyps

Updated equipment list:
Ecotech Radion xr30 pro G3 with mount
Ecotech vortech mp10WQD
Cobalt Neotherm 100w heater
IM desktop ghost skimmer
Tunze nano osmolator ATO
DA reefkeeper lite with SLX Module and ph probe
2 InTank media baskets

I’ll have more pictures coming later on.

Hummerkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas came early for me. I picked up a reefkeeper lite with an SLX module and ph probe on a Black Friday sale. I got it mounted on a board that is going to be a false wall in a cabinet I’m going to make soon. Please ignore the mess of wires as it’s only temporary.
1B5D92CD-2632-4DEA-BF29-02ED674EB915.jpeg Here is a FTS. It’s coming along quite nicely.

Updated stocking list:
Purple fire fish
Yellow watchman goby
Green acan
Red mushroom coral
WWC green birds nest
WWC neon blasto
WWC bullion favia
WWC green star polyps

Updated equipment list:
Ecotech vortech mp10WQD
IM desktop ghost skimmer
Tunze nano osmolator ATO
2 InTank media baskets

Looks like someone was hanging out for a live sale [emoji106]. Nice looking tank too.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Updated stocking list:
Purple fire fish
Yellow watchman goby
Green acan
Red mushroom coral
WWC green birds nest
WWC neon blasto
WWC bullion favia
WWC green star polyps

Updated equipment list:
Ecotech vortech mp10WQD
IM desktop ghost skimmer
Tunze nano osmolator ATO
2 InTank media baskets

I took advantage of that same sale for the Reefkeeper Lite package and I added the SLXV2 and the Salinity Probe as well for my Lagoon 50 build. I’m interested to see how your mounting board/false wall turns out. How are you planning on mounting it inside the APS stand? Please post pics when you do it.

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took advantage of that same sale for the Reefkeeper Lite package and I added the SLXV2 and the Salinity Probe as well for my Lagoon 50 build. I’m interested to see how your mounting board/false wall turns out. How are you planning on mounting it inside the APS stand? Please post pics when you do it.
I’m not putting it in the stand, I’m making a custom cabinet that will be right next to my tank for all my electronics and to store my test kits, additives, dry foods etc...
I will post pics once I get around to the cabinet

jld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not putting it in the stand, I’m making a custom cabinet that will be right next to my tank for all my electronics and to store my test kits, additives, dry foods etc...
I will post pics once I get around to the cabinet

i just picked up a new lagoon 25/aps stand, ato/dosers, sicce, nanobox duo, etc, etc, etc, $$$ - for an upgrade to my overgrown biocube14. was thinking of building a small electronics/dry stand next to it so interested what your up to.

have the aps stand 90% built and it does have some issues i'm going to fix but a solid stand but a little $$

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been awhile since I have updated. I’ve been battling dinoflagellates for the past month, and from the looks of it I’m winning this one(knock on wood).
Two days ago I also lost my yellow watchman goby. He found the smallest gap in my screen top and took the leap of faith. Unfortunately I was at work.

Back