JUVENILE BLUE TANG QT

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tiny blue tang with copper safe. Im in week 2 of QT and I know tangs are shy and reserved but jeez. I think i've only seen it move once out of it's spot. I think it's eating the nori can't really tell but is this normal? Will it ever stop hiding away in the one spot? I'm worried once QT is over and I move to my main tank it's going to be even more stressed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
QT tiny blue tang with copper safe. Im in week 2 of QT and I know tangs are shy and reserved but jeez. I think i've only seen it move once out of it's spot. I think it's eating the nori can't really tell but is this normal? Will it ever stop hiding away in the one spot? I'm worried once QT is over and I move to my main tank it's going to be even more stressed.
Took mine near 4 months to stay out more often
They are known to hide or play dead when frightened or unsure

OP
OP
C

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took mine near 4 months to stay out more often
They are known to hide or play dead when frightened or unsure
Oh wow 4 months! Okay that makes me feel better lol Just wanted to make sure this was normalish for them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh wow 4 months! Okay that makes me feel better lol Just wanted to make sure this was normalish for them
If you ever see a show with them underwater in schools, they will lay flat and play dead as a diver approaches. Quite the site

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the second week of QT a tiny blue tang too. I feed him 2 times a day and this is the only time I see him coming out of his hiding place too. But he ate like a pig so I am not too worry about ....... :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding it other foods than nori? Diced up mysids would be a good option.
Jay

OP
OP
C

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much cover do you have in the tank? More hiding places tend to make a fish more confident to come out more.
Not much since it's my QT tank just two pvc pieces. And he'll hide behind the nori clip & HOB filter lol

OP
OP
C

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the second week of QT a tiny blue tang too. I feed him 2 times a day and this is the only time I see him coming out of his hiding place too. But he ate like a pig so I am not too worry about ....... :)
lol I wish I could see mine eating

OP
OP
C

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding some more pvc to hide behind. It may help (even a bit).
When I added more hiding places to my qt my angel almost immediately improved in behavior.
Will do! Btw, I have PVC that I've used in prior QT that I have to clean. Any tips for cleaning?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve rinsed things under hot freshwater, but those were pieces taken from the garage.
From a previous qt, you could always bleach but I’d imagine just being out of water so long would kill most of what’s on it. If nothing was actively sick in the qt there is likely nothing to worry about either.

OP
OP
C

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve rinsed things under hot freshwater, but those were pieces taken from the garage.
From a previous qt, you could always bleach but I’d imagine just being out of water so long would kill most of what’s on it. If nothing was actively sick in the qt there is likely nothing to worry about either.
By hot fresh do you mean tapwater? I keep seeing fresh water and I'm thinking this will be tedious having to get a bunch of reverse osmosis water just to clean stuff out.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By hot fresh do you mean tapwater? I keep seeing fresh water and I'm thinking this will be tedious having to get a bunch of reverse osmosis water just to clean stuff out.
It was straight tap water for me (but I also have well water). You can always give it a rinse in tankwater when done.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every now and again as I don't want to polute the tank but yes I'll try some today and see if it comes out
I presume this is a hepatus tang? As juveniles, these are more carnivores than herbivores. You should be feeding it meaty seafoods instead of nori (which is very low in calories). As long as you don't allow uneaten food to build up in the tank and you monitor for ammonia, you won't have an issue.

jay

OP
OP
C

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume this is a hepatus tang? As juveniles, these are more carnivores than herbivores. You should be feeding it meaty seafoods instead of nori (which is very low in calories). As long as you don't allow uneaten food to build up in the tank and you monitor for ammonia, you won't have an issue.

jay
Thanks, saw her eat a little piece of frozen mysis so I'll keep at it

OP
OP
C

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so slow and steady, I put a camera and can confirm she’s eating when I’m not around lol. I did see a little something on her top fin today can anyone confirm if that looks like ich? Everyone’s pictures I’ve seen it looks like dots this isn’t so much a dot. Using Copper power and the rest of that is just dust on my glass
6759B88A-2F4B-4E28-B370-902209474382.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1917.MOV
    89.3 MB
OP
OP
C

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That spot looks more a result of damage or lympho to me.
Yeah I was thinking damage as well but I've actually never seen ich or any parasite on my fish so I wouldn't know what's what lol. Shoot I wonder if it's lympho because I do see her always rubbing up on the glass but doesn't have anything visible to itch.

Back