Juvenile Emperor Angelfish issue

Perthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, first time poster here, I'm looking for some quick advice!

I have an issue with my Emperor Angel I'm hoping to fix before it becomes too late.
I have had the fish for about 10 days in a quarantine tank, it has been feeding well on nori, pellets, flakes and mysis. It's colouration has been fine too. It has also been through one round of Prazipro with no issues.

As the final part of my QT process I am putting it through TTM, I transferred the fish yesterday lunchtime. This morning I found it stuck to the intake for the filter, it is pale, very lethargic and seems to be breathing very heavily.

I used fresh saltwater, temperature is fine, parameters are good. I'm at a loss at what could have caused a seemingly healthy fish to go downhill so fast after one transfer?

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 10.39.55 am.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
P

Perthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had already done a Prazi treatment, I'm confused because it seemed very healthy in QT, it ate really well and was active. I moved it to another QT as the first TTM transfer and 24 hours later it was dead, it happened so fast that I would ordinarily say velvet but when I inspected the dead fish it had absolutely no visible signs of disease.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes- once stuck to powerhead, it’s chances for recovery are greatly diminished.
How was fish acclimated to display tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had already done a Prazi treatment, I'm confused because it seemed very healthy in QT, it ate really well and was active. I moved it to another QT as the first TTM transfer and 24 hours later it was dead, it happened so fast that I would ordinarily say velvet but when I inspected the dead fish it had absolutely no visible signs of disease.
Sorry to hear. Velvet (Amyloodicnium) will cause very rapid breathing. It does kill swiftly, so mant acute fish deaths (unless from mechanical trauma) are from that disease.

Jay

OP
OP
P

Perthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- once stuck to powerhead, it’s chances for recovery are greatly diminished.
How was fish acclimated to display tank?
Hi Vetteguy, the fish never made it to the display tank. I transferred from one QT to another as part of the TTM method. There was no acclimatisation as the S.G and temperature of the quarantine tanks are identical.

OP
OP
P

Perthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Velvet (Amyloodicnium) will cause very rapid breathing. It does kill swiftly, so mant acute fish deaths (unless from mechanical trauma) are from that disease.

Jay
Hi Jay, yes I mean velvet was my initial though, however there were absolutely no visible signs of any form of disease on the fish.
The fish had also been eating well in its first QT for about 12 days with absolutely no sign of any issues, it was only once I did the transfer that it went downhill VERY rapidly!
So for velvet to the cause of death and manifest itself at the exact time that I did the transfer would be a huge coincidence.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Vetteguy, the fish never made it to the display tank. I transferred from one QT to another as part of the TTM method. There was no acclimatisation as the S.G and temperature of the quarantine tanks are identical.
Oh no and Sorry to hear. These are beautiful fish

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back