Juvenile Lemonpeel Mimic Tang Coloration

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've been thinking about getting a small juvenile lemonpeel mimic tang. I love the blue accent marks on them, but when ever I go to my LFS, they lack those markings.

I would like one like this:
Mimic Lemon Peel Tang

However, all of the ones I have seen look the same as the Lemonpeel Mimic (not the Harold's Mimic variety mind you), but without the blue accent marks pictured here. Are they only present in very small juveniles or do most just lack the accent markings? Thanks.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mimic may or may not have the blue marking. I believe they must loose it eithzr due to maturity or not needing it once in captivity. I've only seen it a couple of times, and witnessed it disappear from one week to another at a lfs.

OP
OP
Aari007

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mimic may or may not have the blue marking. I believe they must loose it eithzr due to maturity or not needing it once in captivity. I've only seen it a couple of times, and witnessed it disappear from one week to another at a lfs.
I know they lose it as they mature, but never really thought that they wouldn't need it in captivity. There are no predators (mainly) for them in captivity so they wouldn't really need to mimic the lemonpeel angel in captivity. Good point.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between mimics of Harold's vs lemonpeel could be where the tang is collected, and what angels they are mimicking because of geography.

Hawaii area for lemonpeel and Indonesia for Harold's, for example. Or half black angels around Palau.

OP
OP
Aari007

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between mimics of Harold's vs lemonpeel could be where the tang is collected, and what angels they are mimicking because of geography.

Hawaii area for lemonpeel and Indonesia for Harold's, for example. Or half black angels around Palau.
+1 This is 100% correct & is the reason why we have a lot of mimic tangs.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just get a lemonpeel ....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank .... I have both (along with a bunch of others, but it’s a huge tank).

OP
OP
Aari007

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank .... I have both (along with a bunch of others, but it’s a huge tank).
He is in a 90 gallon FOWLR (Too small, I know), but I am upgrading my other 125 to something larger so they will be moved there soon.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back