Juvenile YWG is scared of skunk cleaner

Meowwwwmix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a small YWG paired with a small pistol shrimp, they were a little skittish, but saw them frequently, I added a cleaner shrimp and the goby hasnt came out of their burrow at feeding time anymore, If I uncover the burrows door, and leave some pellets the shrimp will pop out and grab them, but hoped my goby didnt die, after 3 days MIA I sucked up the substrate covering the burrow entrance, and a few minutes later the goby popped out! I got some food to him, but the second he saw the shrimp he shot back in and they covered the entrance again, will the shrimp bring him pellets? Is there any way to encourage him to come out more?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,i would say just keep doing what you are ,yes the pistol will bring food into burrow,
hopefully just a matter of time to get used to cleaner shrimp.. :)

OP
OP
M

Meowwwwmix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,i would say just keep doing what you are ,yes the pistol will bring food into burrow,
hopefully just a matter of time to get used to cleaner shrimp.. :)
Thank you! I was worried that messing with his entrance all the time would make them even more angry, which it may have but it seemed to be beneficial, they went full constriction mode while I was at work and made a new entrance and I've seen him a couple times since and got a good feeding into him!

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps at all, my 2 yr old YWG is neurotic and every time I add a new tank mate he flips out. Attempts to suicide against my tank cover, and hides for weeks lol.... but eventually gets over it and comes out once again. Sometimes when he hid I didn’t see him feed for weeks. Just squirted food near his hiding hole!

OP
OP
M

Meowwwwmix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps at all, my 2 yr old YWG is neurotic and every time I add a new tank mate he flips out. Attempts to suicide against my tank cover, and hides for weeks lol.... but eventually gets over it and comes out once again. Sometimes when he hid I didn’t see him feed for weeks. Just squirted food near his hiding hole!
Lol that does make me feel alot better! Hes so tiny, and I've read alot of horror stories about tiger pistol shrimps killing gobys too so I was extra paranoid since they're nearly the same size, but they paired instantly and have been best buds ever since, I bought the tank with pistol goby as my #1 priority, so hopefully the YWG gets a little less shy as he gets bigger!

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that does make me feel alot better! Hes so tiny, and I've read alot of horror stories about tiger pistol shrimps killing gobys too so I was extra paranoid since they're nearly the same size, but they paired instantly and have been best buds ever since, I bought the tank with pistol goby as my #1 priority, so hopefully the YWG gets a little less shy as he gets bigger!
It’s a beautiful fish with a sassy personality, when mine is feeling in top shape he likes to let everyone know he’s the boss. Postures to any fish that dares come near his burrow.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back