K' my new venture FB HEX!!

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in light of all the nanos and such, I am going to try and put together a tank that I have thought about for a long time!

It will be 28" side to side on the back
the sides will be 9"
the front face will be 18" so.......
I am not sure what the lenght of the angled sides will be and if it can be done?
(Haven't asked the LFS yet, gettin dimensions first)
OH It will be 24" tall!

I am thinking of instatiling my own overflow boxes as mini filters, if I don't go under? one with cheto and the other for carbon and such? returns will come out he bottom with lock line or 45 deg. elbows?

THE HOLE!
DSC01078.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

The mirror has got to go! LOL The second shelve up is 24 to the bottm of it. So above that I will be makeing another cabinet to match the ones on the bottom, it will have a shelve at the same height of the ones on either side, maybe a bit lower, to mount the lights to the bottom of it and set a RO water for evap./kalk., and a place to set what ever else? The Drawer under will have to be 1/2 the size. SO am going to have to cut the back off a resecure it? I think a table saw will work?

Well there is cabinet underneith that I am thinking of drilling some holes in the bottom under the tank I could run a 15 Gallon, down there? But it will be completly closed in no ventalation? What will that do to the cabinet? The wify will not be happy if I ruin it! LOL

I am thinking of doing Xenia and ton of rubble in he Fuge with 24/7 24" 2xT-5light? Partioned like a eco? With a in sump return? I need to go 4' with about 300-500 gph, will give 10x turn over if this thing is about 30-40 gallons? What do you suggest?

OK the plan then will be to light this bad boy with as many 24" T-5s I can fit in 9"! The front 9" will only get light from these and will have Glass top to help with evap.?

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a good high effeicancy pump, with about 500 GPH @ 4', in sump also? Any Ideas?

I am thinking of running 6' T-5 on 3 workhorse 5 ballast? Bulbs would be $25 and ballast for 2 bulbs $25 + $225 for lights?

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do ya guy think? Not enough eye candy in my tank thread yet I know but I am work in progress!

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K found an old supplier of mine that I use to buy tanks from that is going to help me luild the tank!! Unforunetly there is more envoled that just paying for it and picking it up! I actually have to help! LOL so we are working out a time we both have ! Very sparse in the summer?

SteveO

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the depth, Id do single luminarc 3 with a 400w halide. That would be sweet! T5's are cool, but they dont have the water penetration of MH

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang where you been BBZD?? :D

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL livin the dream.......rev, you know family and what not! :rolleyes:

Acrylic is gonna cost at cost...$400+ so acrylic will not be the way I go, gonna have build it my self! :(

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was acrylic they would have been the rounded corner, type. But that ain't gonna happen any more. :(

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AZ I have no idea, I am more worried about the angles and corners to make a perfect jig would be a pian and somethin I ma not sure I feel confident doing?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go with cut corners or bends anyway, any acrylic shop should be able to bend them for you. If they do it properly you will have no issues with crazing in the bends. The bends will also give the front panel support. I have a 39 gallon with bent corners at about 120 degrees(something like that). What I had them do was take the total length of the front and sides told them how big each side is supposed to be and that dictated where they bent it. If you get on upwards of 1/2'' to 1'' acrylic it is more difficult to bend the acrylic.....Once it was done the front and sides were all one piece except for the back. As long as it is with in a 1000th you can just chemically weld it with no issue....Acrylic would be your best option for having the hex shape...

Mine was front panel measured 22''x22'', the sides are 17''x22'' and the piece in the back that welded the 2 sides together was 3''x22''. It fit perfectly into a corner with a large front pane for viewing.....I think with a 24'' tall you would have to be at least 1/2''-5/8'' acrylic. But it isn't that deep either so you wouldn't have a lot of pressure pushing out so you might be able to do it with 1/4'' that is what mine is....I saw absolutely no bowing what so ever, I also have a brace around the top of 1'' acrylic. You can save yourself a lot $$ if you have them cut and bend your pieces and you weld it together. It is very easy actually.....Just have to be patient and water test a couple of times to make sure it is sealed on all joints. Then what I did was left water in it for 3 weeks to make sure it was secure and sealed....If I lived closer I could help you out....

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw your post for acrylic....They raping you on that? You should be able to that that with one sheet of acrylic.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back