K.p aquatics premium real live rock!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased 10lbs of k.p aquatics premium live rock and it was at my house not even a few days later! I just opened it and I am actually very happy with the look and smell of the rock it looks amazing, completely submerged in water! its just so hard to get real live rock around me or even quality dry rock.

I ran across their name on r2r and looked at a few reviews so I figured I would try it, in only 10 lbs there were allot of hitch hikers on board but just some brittle stars and I think red emerald crabs I've never seen red b4 but looks just like green emeralds. And a few worms:( but its live rock and my systems already have hikers, hikers welcome .. im going to still cure them long b4 they go near my nice tank if they even dew.. I have a few holding tanks im going to put them in and keep an eye out for when they get back in stock!

They look great to me and i support their harvesting practices! I just wanted to put this information out so maybe someone else could benefit from this too.

Thank you all

20211006_155728.jpg 20211006_160843.jpg

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! I’m anxiously awaiting to place an order for 80-100lbs. Did you ship in water via freight?
Wow! 100lbs that's going to be on a pallet..
Yes I had the overnight in water, it was the only available product in stock with 1 quantity in stock..it was fully samerged for the most part with a cooler pack and paper. The order was for 10lbs and the package weight was 24lbs I didn't weigh anything or take a water count as far as gallons. But it was at 1.027s.g

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100lbs , whsts that cost $800 shipped? Just starts getting borderline crazy

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best live rock available. Better than TBS IMO. Doesn’t come with a lot of macro algae which typically you don’t want or winds up dying off over time. Not cheap, esp if you get it shipped in water. I got 300+ pounds. No uglies, no dinos/cyano/GHA or ammonia spike. I had the rock in my tank for several months and with just the rock it was beautiful. Still love going at night with a flashlight to see all the fauna come out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
KP - Great quality and reoutation. Do place rock in bucket for 2-3 hours allowing anything like gorilla crabs, unwanted worms or slugs a chance to come out

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They should just sink 10000 marine pure sheets down there for a year then sell them submerged in water for $60 . No gorilla crabs , no pistol shrimp no bobbitt worms . The rock itself is not very appealing in terms of lots of holes and good shapes (I'm sure there are some nice pieces I'm just saying lol). Do you think this way could be successful in terms of seeding dry rock and making it "live". A 12x 12 piece of marine pure has some kind of insane amount of surface area for bacteria . Obviously it would take a little bit for the bacteria to spread on the dry rock but how is that different from people saying o well I seeded my tank with 10 pounds of good live rock ? I've just been thinking about this and I'm starting my new tank with a marine pure block and spheres that have been sitting in my friends sump for 4 months .

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should just sink 10000 marine pure sheets down there for a year then sell them submerged in water for $60 . No gorilla crabs , no pistol shrimp no bobbitt worms . The rock itself is not very appealing in terms of lots of holes and good shapes (I'm sure there are some nice pieces I'm just saying lol). Do you think this way could be successful in terms of seeding dry rock and making it "live". A 12x 12 piece of marine pure has some kind of insane amount of surface area for bacteria . Obviously it would take a little bit for the bacteria to spread on the dry rock but how is that different from people saying o well I seeded my tank with 10 pounds of good live rock ? I've just been thinking about this and I'm starting my new tank with a marine pure block and spheres that have been sitting in my friends sump for 4 months .
It would be very hard to handle...diving to retrieve flat blocks from the bottle of the ocean. They are very easily broken and crumble if not handled properly.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one buys cultured in the ocean live rock for the bacteria. They buy it from the quality and quantity of life on the rocks. Look at the pics, sponges galore, cool hitchhikers, some corals maybe and macro algae. That’s why they buy it.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If someone wants good shapes, you can always buy some nice-shaped dry rock and 10-20lbs of this stuff. You'll get loads of algae all over the dry rock for awhile as it matures, but all that life on the live rock should spread, with the exception of things that are novelty items anyway- tunicates and the like.

You're right that people mostly buy live rock for the critters (best way to get detritivores and beneficial algaes, after all), but there is something to be said for the bacteria content of the rock. That's mature rock right there, years worth of progress, sitting in a biodiversity unmatched by any reef tank. You get that stuff shipped in water, you put it in water for a week or so, and bam- not just instant cycle, but instant maturity. Can start putting corals in as soon as any die-off is gone.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back