K1 Kalc Reactor and 50g AIO

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about purchasing an Avast Marine K1 Kalk reactor for my Innovative Marine 50g Lagoon AIO tank.

I already have a BRS 1.1ml/min dosing pump and a 15 gallon tank for R/O water/ATO and plan to house the K1 under my tank, inside the cabinet.

It seems that a typical application fir the K1 is to put the the dosing pump between the R/O Topoff tank and the K1 reactor. This forces fresh water from the R/O tank into the K1 and then the Kalk solution appaers to leave the reactor by gravity, out the side port of the reactor. The issue is that although this seems to be ideal for a tank with a sump, My AIO tank does not have a sump, so the output will need to go up about three feet above the top of the K1, and into the tank.

I believe the top of the K1 reactor is NOT water or air tight and just sits on top of the reactor, so using the traditiponal method, the reactor would just over flow (Would it not?)

Is it possible to have the BRS dosing pump suck the kalc solution directly out of the reactor and have the reactor siphon water out of the R/O tank as a means of replenishment?

R/O Tank => K1 Reactor => Dosing pump => Tank

Just looking for a way to get the saturated Kalk solution out of the reactor and up 3' to the top of my tank.

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about purchasing an Avast Marine K1 Kalk reactor for my Innovative Marine 50g Lagoon AIO tank.

I already have a BRS 1.1ml/min dosing pump and a 15 gallon tank for R/O water/ATO and plan to house the K1 under my tank, inside the cabinet.

It seems that a typical application fir the K1 is to put the the dosing pump between the R/O Topoff tank and the K1 reactor. This forces fresh water from the R/O tank into the K1 and then the Kalk solution appaers to leave the reactor by gravity, out the side port of the reactor. The issue is that although this seems to be ideal for a tank with a sump, My AIO tank does not have a sump, so the output will need to go up about three feet above the top of the K1, and into the tank.

I believe the top of the K1 reactor is NOT water or air tight and just sits on top of the reactor, so using the traditiponal method, the reactor would just over flow (Would it not?)

Is it possible to have the BRS dosing pump suck the kalc solution directly out of the reactor and have the reactor siphon water out of the R/O tank as a means of replenishment?

R/O Tank => K1 Reactor => Dosing pump => Tank

Just looking for a way to get the saturated Kalk solution out of the reactor and up 3' to the top of my tank.
Yeah the reactor would overflow due to the top of the K1 is not air tight the lid does just sit on top. You could use a dosing pump but they are subject to fail just like any other equipment the push method from a pump in your ato or to your RO reservoir is the best method imo.

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the reactor would overflow due to the top of the K1 is not air tight the lid does just sit on top. You could use a dosing pump but they are subject to fail just like any other equipment the push method from a pump in your ato or to your RO reservoir is the best method imo.
OK, thank your that input as I thought that was the case. Going to need to figure out a way to get the saturation up 3' to the tank (I should have gone with a sump s an AIO v;0)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top of the K1 will need to be level, or just slightly above, the top of the AIO. It will flood if below and siphon to much into the tank if much higher. Using a small diameter tube on the output to suction out of the K1 will be prone to clogging. Do you have space behind the tank? It's not a bad looking piece of equipment so it could sit to the side of the tank at tank level.

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top of the K1 will need to be level, or just slightly above, the top of the AIO. It will flood if below and siphon to much into the tank if much higher. Using a small diameter tube on the output to suction out of the K1 will be prone to clogging. Do you have space behind the tank? It's not a bad looking piece of equipment so it could sit to the side of the tank at tank level.
Yeah... Space is a bit limited, but making some sort of a structure to place the K1 on top of, is NOT out of the question. (It's just going to be a bit of a pain)

Then again.... Dosing from a covered 5 gallon bucket of kalk isn't out of the question either ;0) I might just have to go with the 5 gallon method (KISS)

RamonV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... Space is a bit limited, but making some sort of a structure to place the K1 on top of, is NOT out of the question. (It's just going to be a bit of a pain)

Then again.... Dosing from a covered 5 gallon bucket of kalk isn't out of the question either ;0) I might just have to go with the 5 gallon method (KISS)
Any update on this ? I’m in the same scenario at the moment with the same tank and k1 stirrer

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back