K1 Kalk Stirrer Clogging - Prevents ATO from Working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

balix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this and it did not work, still back siphon. I had to use a Tee and added another hose and stretched it high so that my pump couldn’t push that far and forces all the water into the kalk reactor . I hung the secondary hose off the tee into the overflow of my display tank just in case but has access to air to break the siphon.

kevin.st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an issue for sure. I had to cut a small hole in the white tubing within the reactor to stop the back siphon. It does the trick, but I lose some of the flow to the bottom of the reactor where all kalk is sitting.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my k1 for about 5 years. My Tunze feeds the stirrer from the Rodi res. I have a hose attached to the fitting on the end of the stirrer and ends 1 inch below water line in sump. The k1 always overflows when the ATO kicks on. I tried the hose above water line also. Still overflows. I put a valve between ATO and stirring, but it still overflows just slower.

Any help @AVAST Marine

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say your output is clogged or your pump is too strong. Definitely can’t have the output under water because it gravity feeds. The output has to be higher and in a slope down to the sump so the water isn’t restricted.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this and it did not work, still back siphon. I had to use a Tee and added another hose and stretched it high so that my pump couldn’t push that far and forces all the water into the kalk reactor . I hung the secondary hose off the tee into the overflow of my display tank just in case but has access to air to break the siphon.

This is a great method, we diagram it in the manual for our diaphragm pump. I think if we add the diagrams to the kalk stirrer manual it will help clear some confusion.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an issue for sure. I had to cut a small hole in the white tubing within the reactor to stop the back siphon. It does the trick, but I lose some of the flow to the bottom of the reactor where all kalk is sitting.

This is a great way to break the siphon too! There doesn't need to be much flow down by the kalk since the motor is doing the "stirring". The water flow is simply displacing saturated kalkwasser to the top of the reactor.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my k1 for about 5 years. My Tunze feeds the stirrer from the Rodi res. I have a hose attached to the fitting on the end of the stirrer and ends 1 inch below water line in sump. The k1 always overflows when the ATO kicks on. I tried the hose above water line also. Still overflows. I put a valve between ATO and stirring, but it still overflows just slower.

Any help @AVAST Marine

Under the water line is not a good idea. A couple inches above is where it should be.

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This ^

^
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1512.JPG

Last edited:

babybull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve integrated the kalk stirrer with my Tunze Osmolator, so my best bet is the check valve it seems. Either way, I think I’ve found a solution, and I’m a huge fan of Avast products! I’ll always recommend you guys!
Could you send me a picture of what you did? I used a tee but the pump puts more water out of it than through the reactor.

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you send me a picture of what you did? I used a tee but the pump puts more water out of it than through the reactor.

I am currently out of town, but I can take a picture of what I’m currently doing. I stopped running all of my ATO through the reactor, and now dose with my Apex and an Aqualifter pump.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back