Kalk dosing, Ozone or Trident? what should I add to the tank?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky enough a won some BRS points!
so am thinking what piece of gear to add to the tank.

tank info:
~RS 650P will be LPS dom. with some softies and SPS
~tank is still young at around 4? months old
~I will be setting up AWC (soon I hope) of about 1.5-2 gal per day using IO or IORC salt mix.
~my ATO res. will be in the basement making kalk dosing a bit harder, as it would need to pull water up from there.
~ I have BRS mini reactor with carbon GFO, a bit under skimming, a UV set for algae control ( for now) and a fuge with the GRO will coming online soon.

I am thinking long term with this next thing i add. I know each do completely different things and have there pros and cons.
what I am looking for:
stability I travel a bit and once a year leave the tank for 3-4 weeks.

1st option is the avast kalk stirrer with a dosing pump. I have never dose alk and calk. to any of my reefs. do I need it for this one IDK? with AWC I might not but then again I could not hurt.

2nd is a Ozone generator mainly for N&P removal and water clarity as i add more fish the wast will build up.

3rd is a trident. needed NO would it be cool sure i guess as long as it works I dont test a tons anyway and if I get the # then i would have to manually dose as I spent the $ on the fancy test kit. lol

so IDK what would you do?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do #1. But you can only do it if your calcium and alkalinity get depleted. Kalk will add both. When your sps are growing along with coralline algae, your AWC almost certainly won’t keep up with calcium and alkalinity demand and the kalk stirrer will help.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd vote for getting the trident, but I'm probably biased because I just set one up on my tank a few days ago and so far I absolutely love the thing.

The kalk stirrer may be a good option if you ultimately plan on using kalk to replace alk/cal. An AWC alone will not be enough to keep them at the levels you want for very long.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd vote for getting the trident, but I'm probably biased because I just set one up on my tank a few days ago and so far I absolutely love the thing.

The kalk stirrer may be a good option if you ultimately plan on using kalk to replace alk/cal. An AWC alone will not be enough to keep them at the levels you want for very long.
that is what I am thinking to. the trident would be nice to know the levels but then I still have to do something about it.

I was thinking Kalk might be the right solution for alk/cal. for me. I think it might be the easiest solution apart from an all in one solution like all for one.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is what I am thinking to. the trident would be nice to know the levels but then I still have to do something about it.
From what I understand you don't necessarily have to do anything about it. I haven't set mine up yet but I believe if you get a dos also you can set it to automatically change your dosing amount to keep your alk/cal levels consistent.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand you don't necessarily have to do anything about it. I haven't set mine up yet but I believe if you get a dos also you can set it to automatically change your dosing amount to keep your alk/cal levels consistent.

yeah I would need the trident + DOS + 2 part or something to dose= $$$

I think I am leaning towards the kalk or tropic marin all for one. more research is needed ;Bookworm

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I am leaning towards the kalk or tropic marin all for one. more research is needed ;Bookworm
You are correct and the dos isn't cheap at $300 new or you can find them used closer to $200. The only cheap part of it is the 2 part, it is incredibly cheap if you are willing to mix your own. Also for the trident don't forget that you would have to keep buying their reagents at around $200 a year if you test the minimum amount of times per day. The cost of the reagents is the reason it took me about a year to finally decide to get an apex/dos/trident.

IME diy 2 part is much, much cheaper than TM All For Reef would be, but kalk is cheap also.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky enough a won some BRS points!
so am thinking what piece of gear to add to the tank.

tank info:
~RS 650P will be LPS dom. with some softies and SPS
~tank is still young at around 4? months old
~I will be setting up AWC (soon I hope) of about 1.5-2 gal per day using IO or IORC salt mix.
~my ATO res. will be in the basement making kalk dosing a bit harder, as it would need to pull water up from there.
~ I have BRS mini reactor with carbon GFO, a bit under skimming, a UV set for algae control ( for now) and a fuge with the GRO will coming online soon.

I am thinking long term with this next thing i add. I know each do completely different things and have there pros and cons.
what I am looking for:
stability I travel a bit and once a year leave the tank for 3-4 weeks.

1st option is the avast kalk stirrer with a dosing pump. I have never dose alk and calk. to any of my reefs. do I need it for this one IDK? with AWC I might not but then again I could not hurt.

2nd is a Ozone generator mainly for N&P removal and water clarity as i add more fish the wast will build up.

3rd is a trident. needed NO would it be cool sure i guess as long as it works I dont test a tons anyway and if I get the # then i would have to manually dose as I spent the $ on the fancy test kit. lol

so IDK what would you do?
You can get a trident and buy a cheap doser for kalk. One monitors the tank. The other helps grow corals by increasing PH. I think growing corals is slightly more important

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kalk over all for reef AFR is just 2-part combined in one solution.

Back