Kalk Dosing with PMUP and Kalk Stirrer/reactor and a Neptune DOS

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the sales right now, i am thinking about dosing kalk to help with pH.

My house CO2 is the issue and I have added outside air, CO2 scrubber, and new thermostats that cycles the air and adds fresh to the house. All of this helped and my pH is very stable between 7.91 to 7.94 depending on the time of day. I know this pH is ok but trying to get to and maintain around 8.2

I am using a Neptune atk and my ATO source is brute trash can on the other side of the basement. I ran 1/4 tubing when I finished the basement. I should ran more lines but that is a different topic and yes I’m kicking myself....

option one.

i set up a kalk reservoir and use a neptune dos to added kalk throughout the day and program shut points as a safety measure. using randy’s calculations on other posts, it looks like I need to at 1200ml a day to raise ph to 8.25 and I would also need to readjust my 2part addition as well.

option two

i add a y and two solenoids and a few check valves. I was thinking the pmup would supply rodi water to the kalk stirrer/reactor and then the Neptune dos would control what is pulled from the reactor to the tank sump. There are a ton of questions with options two. But my bestest one is with the pmup suppling rodi to reacted which in theory would be pressurized and then the Dos running. Or would it be possible to open the soliniod and have the dos just pull from the ATO reservoir to supply rodi to the kalk stirrer and control the amount. The programming would be interesting as i only have one 1/4 line back to the ATO reservoir

obviously option one would be easy but I am trying to avoid the second reservoir and dealing with making kalk.

thoughts anyone.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that any pH boost numbers I gave are assuming immediate addition and pH effect. Hours later after aeration the pH may be back where it started. Spread out the addition and the boost will be much lower as the tank pulls in CO2 all along.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best way to run kalk get a single head peralastic pump program Apex to turn on 2 min every hour then hook up to a gravity fed kalk stirer reactor. This way no clog or service pump and less chance to over dose kalk like ATO

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
randy,
Note that any pH boost numbers I gave are assuming immediate addition and pH effect. Hours later after aeration the pH may be back where it started. Spread out the addition and the boost will be much lower as the tank pulls in CO2 all along.

Randy,

thanks for your reply

Based on your posts I have read and if my math is correct, I need to add roughly .42 gal (1590ml) of kalk water to raise my pH by .2-.3. I estimated my total water volume at 100g. I have a reefer 525 with 2” sand bottom and say 120pounds of rock. Your post listed 1.25g would increase the pH by .6-.7. I am going with option one and going to set up a kalk reservoir and set up a Neptune DOS to add 1590ml acrosss a 24hr period. I will monitor my pH and ALK and make adjustments as needed. Does this sound like a good plan? If I am completely off base let me..... not trying to chase ph just raise it a bit.

i would just use kalk with my ATO like I did years ago but my evaporation rate is a lot higher and changes throughout the year in northern VA. Plus with a DOS I figured I would have more control.

also, option two was vetoed by the long blonde haired admiral (aka wife). So no kalk reactor for me LOL. I even tried to explain the golden ticket from saltwateraquarium lol

randy, I am also a Navy Diver and would like to send you one of our command coins for all your help.

thanks jay

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to run kalk get a single head peralastic pump program Apex to turn on 2 min every hour then hook up to a gravity fed kalk stirer reactor. This way no clog or service pump and less chance to over dose kalk like ATO
I am planning on using a Neptune DOS and a 5gal kalk reservoir.

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thinking about your post. So even if I spread out the dose.... am I actually going to raise pH or I am just basically replacing my 2 part with kalk and not helping my pH. If that is the case, do you have any other ideas to raise my pH? The only thing I haven’t tied would be an air stone with outside air as a source.

my frustration if setting in lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
randy,

Randy,

thanks for your reply

Based on your posts I have read and if my math is correct, I need to add roughly .42 gal (1590ml) of kalk water to raise my pH by .2-.3. I estimated my total water volume at 100g. I have a reefer 525 with 2” sand bottom and say 120pounds of rock. Your post listed 1.25g would increase the pH by .6-.7. I am going with option one and going to set up a kalk reservoir and set up a Neptune DOS to add 1590ml acrosss a 24hr period. I will monitor my pH and ALK and make adjustments as needed. Does this sound like a good plan? If I am completely off base let me..... not trying to chase ph just raise it a bit.

i would just use kalk with my ATO like I did years ago but my evaporation rate is a lot higher and changes throughout the year in northern VA. Plus with a DOS I figured I would have more control.

also, option two was vetoed by the long blonde haired admiral (aka wife). So no kalk reactor for me LOL. I even tried to explain the golden ticket from saltwateraquarium lol

randy, I am also a Navy Diver and would like to send you one of our command coins for all your help.

thanks jay

sounds like a fine plan. Make adjustments based on tank alk, not pH since alk may get too high if you target a specific pH. pH is unlikely to get too high if the tank is well aerated.

I greatly appreciate the coin offer, but there’s no need. I like helping folks. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking about your post. So even if I spread out the dose.... am I actually going to raise pH or I am just basically replacing my 2 part with kalk and not helping my pH. If that is the case, do you have any other ideas to raise my pH? The only thing I haven’t tied would be an air stone with outside air as a source.

my frustration if setting in lol

pH will be higher than with a two part unless you diy with a special high pH two part using sodium hydroxide for alk. How much higher it will be depends on the home air and extent of tank aeration.

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH will be higher than with a two part unless you diy with a special high pH two part using sodium hydroxide for alk. How much higher it will be depends on the home air and extent of tank aeration.

thanks randy... right now I’m using ESV 2 part. my ALK stays around 8.3 to 8.4.

The DOS and Kalk show tomorrow. I should have it set up in a few days. I update this post later in the week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks randy... right now I’m using ESV 2 part. my ALK stays around 8.3 to 8.4.

The DOS and Kalk show tomorrow. I should have it set up in a few days. I update this post later in the week.

sounds good!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would save the Dos for something else and just use another pmup
I have a remote 30 gallon trash can for top off and to dose 1 gallon of water daily thru my avast kalk stirrer
Using a Dos is fine just an expensive way to do it in my opinion

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would save the Dos for something else and just use another pmup
I have a remote 30 gallon trash can for top off and to dose 1 gallon of water daily thru my avast kalk stirrer
Using a Dos is fine just an expensive way to do it in my opinion
Hello
I am also waiting for my apex, and avast marine k1 stirrer to arrive along with a pmup pump which is what I’m planning to use to feed the stirrer. How has this worked out for you so far and are you using an apex to control the pmup pump?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I am also waiting for my apex, and avast marine k1 stirrer to arrive along with a pmup pump which is what I’m planning to use to feed the stirrer. How has this worked out for you so far and are you using an apex to control the pmup pump?
Fine it just works
The tube gets clogged every once in awhile but I just clean it out
I dose 12 seconds every hour that Is one gallon on my set up

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update...

Dosing 1000ml of kalk across a 24hr period and roughly 15-20ml of 2 part which is controlled by a DOS and trident although I readjusted the dosage since I am adding kalk.

ALK 8.2
Cal 430
ph 7.88 currently but at the end of the photo period yesterday it was at 8.04 which is the first time I have been over 8. I am guessing the kalk addition is helping
NO3 4
PO4 0 (Although I ordered some Seachem phosphorus but haven’t added any yet)

i still have room to increase my dose of Kalk as my ATO added 1.5 gallons.

Randy,

thoughts on increasing my kalk dose to 1500ml?

I also are my doseage amounts to high? I only ask because I have no coralline algea growing and other fish I don’t have two BTAs (i know it might seem early for them as my tank is only three months old but they are from my last tank and doing fine) and one green turbo leather.

its. Reefee 525.

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds god.

Just make sure the alk doesn't rise too much. :)
I am holding around 8.0 dKH and I adisted my 2 part dose aswell. Taking things slow. Although today my pH via the probe is 7.96. But all my test kits say 8.2.

planning on calling Neptune to see if there is an offset. I re calibrated the probe twice today and both times I was low in regards to the 7 and 10 test solutions

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am holding around 8.0 dKH and I adisted my 2 part dose aswell. Taking things slow. Although today my pH via the probe is 7.96. But all my test kits say 8.2.

planning on calling Neptune to see if there is an offset. I re calibrated the probe twice today and both times I was low in regards to the 7 and 10 test solutions

after calibration it did not read the calibration fluids correctly?

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after calibration it did not read the calibration fluids correctly?

nope they were both low by.03 to .04
I read somewhere I might have stray currents and should add a grounding wire. I haven’t researched that yet.

i still think it’s related to my house overall. Just frustrating when every chemical test clearly shows 8.2 (redsea, Salifert, and my neighbors API)

I already switched my prode for the same issue.

I would think Neptune would have an offset we can set but I haven’t heard back yet

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back