Kalk in 32 gallon ATO system, fact check my plan

Mtbrider85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi- Currently my tank is consuming 260 ml/day of 2 part, and Im debating running kalk through my garage stored ATO system(Brute 32 gallon) to help offset the consumption of 2 part. I have a couple questions.

1) I live in SW. Florida and the garage gets very hot, any issues with high temps and kalk? water temps will hit mid 90's.

2) My 32 gallon brute has a direct hookup to my RODI via a float valve to keep it full of water at all times. Can I dump into the brute can more than 1.5 tbs/gallon of Kalk given the water is constantly getting topped off from RODI?

For reference: My display tank pulls water from garage via liter-meter pump/neptune apex ATO sensors. I estimate it uses at least 1.5 gallons a day in evaporated water(100 gallon rimless tank). My plan was to put some logic in APEX to only run XXX amount of time on the ATO pump so I do not overdose tank with kalk water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think this will work, mathematically.

You do not say which two part, but if it's my DIY, then 260 ml per day (each part) is about the same as 3.2 gallons of saturated limewater (kalkwasser) per day.

heat in the garage is OK, but will reduce the potency of the limewater somewhat.

OP
OP
Mtbrider85

Mtbrider85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy! I use the BRS which I assume is your recipe. I use 260 ml/day for each part. I’m not trying to replace my 2 part, just reduce the amount I have to dose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy! I use the BRS which I assume is your recipe. I use 260 ml/day for each part. I’m not trying to replace my 2 part, just reduce the amount I have to dose.

OK, then you should be able to accomplish that. :)

The constant mixing and addition complicates things. Solids on the bottom won't dissolve well without stirring, and stirring will prevent it from settling and may hasten Co2 entry.

I always made it batch wise.

Back