Kalk Reactor - need ideas to build one.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 400 gallon tank (550 total volume) and determined to use Kalk only for the first year or as far as it takes me. I just can't get over the prices for some of these Kalk stirs and I will need something alot bigger. I would really prefer a 4 -5 gallon Kalk stir that can do easily 7 gallons per day. The Icecap one caught my eye but its over $450. I will be adding a large frag tank so thats another factor in why i want to build something for under $200 that fits my needs.

I asked my engineer cousin to help advice and wondering if anyone has build a good Kalk stir. Not the one that has a magnet stirr (which is great for smaller tanks),

L

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Avast K1 is rated a 7 gallons per day and the K2 14 gallons

kiet_kat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built one similar Icecap's Design using a magnetic stirrer

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the K1 DIY for $170. We will see how easy it is to put together and works but I don't think I could put together something similar for similar cost by sourcing my own parts and the amount of time spend doing it.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you looked into a kalk slurry mix? Some experienced reefers use the method of saturated kalk.

corey

kiet_kat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you looked into a kalk slurry mix? Some experienced reefers use the method of saturated kalk.

corey

I've been dosing slurry for a few months. Probably more growth on the SPS during that time than the entire time I've started the tank which is almost a year now. But could also be that it matured a lot more too so I cant confirm for sure.

kiet_kat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my Icecap Stirrer to pull slurry through the port that normally feeds RODI. Few issues I've had so far is that a lot settles at the bottom of the sump so I had to add an extra powerhead in the sump. Another issue is that I'm using a Jebao doser and it ended up clogging and the tubing eventually popped off and ended up dosing on the floor. Has happened twice so far.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your ratio of kalk? Can you share a picture of your setup?

corey
I used my Icecap Stirrer to pull slurry through the port that normally feeds RODI. Few issues I've had so far is that a lot settles at the bottom of the sump so I had to add an extra powerhead in the sump. Another issue is that I'm using a Jebao doser and it ended up clogging and the tubing eventually popped off and ended up dosing on the floor. Has happened twice so far.

Back