Kalk Reactors, Stirrers & Dosers: How do you add Kalk to your reef?

What method or equipment do you use to dose Kalk in your reef aquarium?

• Dosing Pump and bucket

Votes: 90 24.3%
  • Magnetic Mixing Reactor

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Kalk Stirrer

Votes: 84 22.7%
  • Do Not Add Kalk

Votes: 150 40.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 28 7.6%

• Total voters

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never again will I use kalk in an ATO for all the reasons mentioned above and the dummy ideas I get to increase the kalk going into the display through the ATO.
You should not stir it if it is in the ATO - the powder that's not in dilution should be in the bottom. I used two containers and let the powder set at least on day before using it - and of cause - the inlet for the ATO pump must be at least around 2" above the bottom.

Sincerely Lasse

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my old tank, I put it in the ATO. I know that's inconsistent since it depends on evaporation rate, so for this tank I'm considering a reactor/stirrer. That'll also help cut down on pump wear and tear; don't even know what kalk would do to a dosing pump.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing pump and 10g tank used as a resevior.

Although, Devin at Reefdudes posted a video for a DIY kalk reactor that would work, and free up lots of room in my stand

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a kaemor dosing pump and bought a glass home brew jug off of Amazon that works perfect for it.

Attachments

• AAF022B5-0F16-41DD-9784-B6F8557C9489.jpeg
    AAF022B5-0F16-41DD-9784-B6F8557C9489.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 585690C0-0D0D-4928-9FE4-2FC51DF5B768.jpeg
    585690C0-0D0D-4928-9FE4-2FC51DF5B768.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 121

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is not a stirrer also depended on the evaporation rate in some way. You can´t dose more than the evaporation rate.

Sincerely Lasse
Stirrers, if I understand them correctly, are just an adjunct to a doser. You use the doser head to push RODI into the stirrer, and an equal amount of kalkwasser is pushed out into the tank. The difference between a stirrer and a bucket is that the stirrer has a consistent concentration and there's less wear on your dosing tubes/pump.

ATO is different since you're just always dosing however much is evaporated and your mechanism of control is the concentration at which you mix it. But one day might be hot with the windows open and much more will evaporate than on a rainy day when the windows are closed.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not stir it if it is in the ATO - the powder that's not in dilution should be in the bottom. I used two containers and let the powder set at least on day before using it
Kalk requires a 24hr period to settle before using?

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out as many with it in ATO (inconsistent at best)
moved to dosing Kalk three years ago, and then added 2 part
now I’m only two part and wish I was back just doing Kalk.
considering going back but this time with a stirrer.
My tank consistently evaporates 1-2 gallons per day and I’ve calculated that it will take about 500 ml/day Kalk so I’ve got plenty of room to go.
My little LPS tank is Kalk only on a doser and is currently consuming 325 ml/day. I think a lot of it is the coralline I’ve neglected to clean off the back glass

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is not a stirrer also depended on the evaporation rate in some way. You can´t dose more than the evaporation rate.

Sincerely Lasse
As long as you are pushing less Kalk through the stirrer than is evaporating each day it should work fine with your top-off system. The top off system will just not have to work as hard.

hlaalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started Kalk via top off water. I’ve done a lot of browsing on Kalk stirrers but they seem incredibly overpriced.

Any reasonable ones people recommend? I’d like to get something that my ATO pump can feed into, then go into the tank. Would be nice to save the ATO pump from damage, and keep the fresh water tank clean.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to add an Avast Kalk stirrer to one of my tanks. I have a CA reactor that isn't able to keep up with my Alk and CA demands so going to use the Kalk to handle what the CA reactor can't. The positive impact on PH will be an added +.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other
If the nutrients are out of balance, nitrate is building up, one can use BADES columns . Calcium is added, alk is stabilized and nitrate is exported.
No special hardware is needed.

Last edited:

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an IceCap KW reactor. It clogs at least once a week and so I had to retrofit it to work like the Avast Marine Works does.

Because I’ve managed to take a break from work I’ll share a bit more detail for those as bored as I am:

For the retrofit I just put a small piece of tubing on the inside end of the outlet with just enough tubing going below reactor water level. I then hooked up a DOS to add fresh RODI and remove (dose) KW concentrate at the same rates. Same tube diameter, sadly, but works significantly better than without the retrofit. If I can find and plumb (without breaking) the fittings to go from 1/4 to 5/8ths like AMW, I will.

Just as with other dosing, I didn’t/ won’t start using KW until pH is stable with super predictable ups and downs. The longer the tank ages the more stable. For my first tank, this took about 8 months. For the new build, it looks like about a month (different cycle method).

Once added, the KW has boosted and maintained alk/ca and bonus pH to stable levels for a long time without much issues. Its the reason I still plan on transferring this piece of equipment.

Last edited:

Fishboy-1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing with Kalkwasser is an effective way to add calcium and alkalinity to your reef tank. There are several different ways and pieces of equipment that we can add kalk to our reef aquariums. So how do you do it and what method do you prefer? Let's talk about it!

1. What method or equipment do you use to dose Kalk in your reef aquarium?

2. Have you tried other methods but didn't find them as successful for you?

1629214692613.png
I have a 600 gal reef. I use a Kalk Reactor to keep PH high then also a calcium reactor to stabilize my alkalinity and calcium etc.

bromdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only two ways to safely add kalk. Both should be done with a peristaltic pump that can continuously dose or add vary small amounts frequently, independent of ATO. Both need to add less kalk water than evaporate. The first is Randy’s way. This does however require mixing a large volume of kalk and requires significant space unless you want to mix small amounts very frequently. The other is with a kalk reactor.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with kalk back in the late 80s early 90s. Did 3 part, cal reactors ect. On my current 1200gal system, I'm dosing a combo of tropic marin all for reef and kalkwasser. I picked up an avast marine kalk stirrer, to install, just need to pick up a doser now for it.
Kalk in the ato, with a gravity fed ato, tops of about 5gal a day of the mix and 70ml of afr keeps my cal/alk rock solid. Mag I need to dose additional to on a monthly basis but will be running a seperate dose head for it as soon as my next 3lb can comes in.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully saturate my ATO water in addition to running a calcium reactor on my 75g SPS tank. I don't care if dosing kalkwasser via ATO is inconsistent because it's primarily used to keep the ph elevated.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was using kalk I looked at several methods of delivery and at that point in time BRS did a video on using kalk thru you're a to container and it was efficient, got the job done and didn't add to my space nor cost me any more money. Its as they say, when in a time of need you're way will find you. Now I'm using the red sea pro system and no longer use that product

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back