Kalk stirrer input tube

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the proper length of the input tube on the stirrer - Is the tube supposed to extend nearly to the bottom of the reactor near the stirrer, or should it be cut off so that it doesn't go down into the kalk slurry? I'll admit, I cut mine off when I assembled my reactor, but I have been wondering lately if I should not have done that, and may be making my reactor less efficient! Thanks in advance!

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine installed is about 2-3inches from the bottom. I did not cut it and have been wondering if it’s to short.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tube what provides water to the stirrir? If so, you want it at the bottom so the fresh water goes through the slurry and becomes saturated before it rises. If the fresh water enters at the top of the reactor because you cut the tube, and also exits at the top, I don’t think it will become saturated.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the proper length of the input tube on the stirrer - Is the tube supposed to extend nearly to the bottom of the reactor near the stirrer, or should it be cut off so that it doesn't go down into the kalk slurry? I'll admit, I cut mine off when I assembled my reactor, but I have been wondering lately if I should not have done that, and may be making my reactor less efficient! Thanks in advance!

Stock length is 15". It needs to be low if you are using a slower flow pump like a peristaltic. For a faster pump having it shorter is no biggie. You can extend the tube you cut off by getting a short length of 1/4" ID tubing and slide it over the rigid tube. We also sell replacements.

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock length is 15". It needs to be low if you are using a slower flow pump like a peristaltic. For a faster pump having it shorter is no biggie. You can extend the tube you cut off by getting a short length of 1/4" ID tubing and slide it over the rigid tube. We also sell replacements.

I’m using a Tunze Osmolator, which stirs up the kalk slurry quite a bit when it kicks on. I may extend the tube a couple of inches and see how it affects the function of the reactor. Thanks for the reply, and for a great product!! I’ve turned several friends on to Avast products, and they’re all as pleased as I am!

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are good with Ozmolator and a shorter tube. It just needs to get water down to the lower part of the stirrer, the fresh water displaces the saturated kalk solution, it is not meant to stir it, the stir bar does that :)

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are good with Ozmolator and a shorter tube. It just needs to get water down to the lower part of the stirrer, the fresh water displaces the saturated kalk solution, it is not meant to stir it, the stir bar does that :)
Currently, I am using the small tunze pump to pump my makeup RO water back into my sump to make up for evaporation. It is controlled by an Apex Optical sensor. I have just ordered your Avast Kalk Stirrer reactor. I plan on running the RO makeup water directly into my new Avast Kalk Reactor. So does your Avast Kalk reactor have a provision to have this makeup RO water enter the reactor from the bottom where the stirrer is located? I was under the impression that this enters normally from the top lid.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I am using the small tunze pump to pump my makeup RO water back into my sump to make up for evaporation. It is controlled by an Apex Optical sensor. I have just ordered your Avast Kalk Stirrer reactor. I plan on running the RO makeup water directly into my new Avast Kalk Reactor. So does your Avast Kalk reactor have a provision to have this makeup RO water enter the reactor from the bottom where the stirrer is located? I was under the impression that this enters normally from the top lid.

It enters through the lid and then there is a small rigid tube that connects to the underside of the lid with a john guest bulkhead that takes the water lower in the chamber. In this thread we are calling it the input tube :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back