Kalkwasser dosing shut off with high phtrol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SORRY WHAT THE BEST WAY TO SETUP A KALK REACTOR

I am ATOing with kalkwasser during the 12 hours the lights ore off or dim. I use a centrifugal pump to add the kalkwasser to my sump from a 20 gallon tank. I first set up the pH-value 1 as shown below:

upload_2017-4-4_12-37-37.png

I set the nominal value to 8.2, since I don't want to exceed 8.2 at night. I use "pulse variable" for the "operation mode controller" so that I add kalk in short pulses (up to 13 seconds). Pause time is 8 minutes. The variable pulse is shorter (1 or 2 seconds) when pH is close to 8.2 and is longer (up to 13 seconds) when far below 8.2

Next I set my timer in the next post.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timer #3 is set up as shown below so kalk is only added from 9:30 PM until 9:30 AM:

upload_2017-4-4_12-49-16.png

Next, I used programmable logic to have both the pH and timer control the kalk addition event.

upload_2017-4-4_12-48-53.png

reef fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Bob Stohrer AM USE A GEO REEF KALK REACOT THERE A PUMP ON IT HOW LONG DO RUN IT FOR AND IF THE TANK NEED RO WATER HOW DO YOU RUN IT AND NOT GO IN THE KALK IF PH IS TO HIGH SORRY FOR THE STUPID QUESTION AM LOST

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next, I set Socket #5 (the outlet that my pump is plugged into) Function to Programmable Logic 3 as shown below.

upload_2017-4-4_13-14-8.png

That's it! Does it make sense?

There are some safeguards you may want to employ to prevent an accidental kalk "dump" in the event of a failed pH probe or a stuck relay. The OP sent me some Ideas, which I'll post shortly.

Bob

upload_2017-4-4_13-13-7.png

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bob Stohrer AM USE A GEO REEF KALK REACOT THERE A PUMP ON IT HOW LONG DO RUN IT FOR AND IF THE TANK NEED RO WATER HOW DO YOU RUN IT AND NOT GO IN THE KALK IF PH IS TO HIGH SORRY FOR THE STUPID QUESTION AM LOST

The example I showed above, will stop kalk addition if the pH gets to 8.2 or higher. For my system (380 gallons), running the ATO/kalkwasser pump about 13 seconds every 8 minutes over 12 hours at night was just about right. I determined those times by trial and error.

I only use kalkwasser for ATO. My pH never goes above 8.15 at night when dosing kalk. If you need to add RO due to pH too high, then you would need to set up level sensors and use RO with a pump plugged into a different socket.

I plan to incorporate level sensors and the ATO function with kalkwasser when my level sensors finally arrive (back-ordered). I can't help you with the ATO and level sensor examples now since I have not done that yet. It should be simple. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Need to drop off line for a bit - work, work, work!

Bob

reef fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK SO I NEED ADD TO ADD A PUMP TO THE ATO ONE FOR NIGHT WITH THE KALK AND ON WITH OUT THE KALK AND FOR THE OTHER TIMES OF THE DAY ???

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I would do. It keeps things simple and a small pump is only $20. However, I don't know the details of the Geo kalk reactor, so I don't know how to add RO and/or kalk with a single pump with the Geo.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalkwasser as my sole source of ATO. There are a few threads on the topic. A number of other posters do the same as I.

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a point to be considered.. make sure your ph probe isn't immediately downstream of your kalk input, as the local ph can give a false high reading and turn your kalk top up off...

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post isn't really about GHL controllers but general kalk safety. Kalk overdose has always been my biggest fear, hence I designed a few safeties into my system that may help, i didn't want my ATO container and kalkstirrer directly connected as this can lead to huge amounts of kalk being added into tank if something goes wrong with a pump. What I did was to have a second smaller tank just 5L as an intermediate tank, one dosing pump pumps from my ATO into the Int tank small amounts of RO 4 times a day. My main dosing pump then pumps from this Int tank to the Stirrer on my dosing schedule. I dose 24/7 so iworked out how much to pump into 2nd tank 4times a day to keep it from overflowing or running dry. This way it limits the amount that can be dosed in a given time that I set and even if it goes wrong and continually doses at 5L at 15ml/min 4L max won't do anything nasty to the tank.. for something to really go wrong both of my dosing pumps need to fail in the on position, and now I have the added safety of ph cutout as well, maybe you can take a few ideas to help you.

Jgarcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I’m teally late to this party lol.
New to the hobby and looking how to set up a controller for my dosing.
A. Use a small sicca pump “90gph” and valved back to only let the kalk drip in. And use the ph prob off my apex system to tell the pump to turn on or off within my desired range.

B. Use the dos doser from the apex brand to do the same thing. But no valve to throttle it back since I can program that.

Both of which will draw ato water.
Also thought maybe a back up prob to have as redundancy to turn off if that prob reaches a high ph “higher than first prob”
Like I mentioned tho I have a Neptune apex system I will be using.
Any recommendations?
Thank you

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I’m teally late to this party lol.
New to the hobby and looking how to set up a controller for my dosing.
A. Use a small sicca pump “90gph” and valved back to only let the kalk drip in. And use the ph prob off my apex system to tell the pump to turn on or off within my desired range.

B. Use the dos doser from the apex brand to do the same thing. But no valve to throttle it back since I can program that.

Both of which will draw ato water.
Also thought maybe a back up prob to have as redundancy to turn off if that prob reaches a high ph “higher than first prob”
Like I mentioned tho I have a Neptune apex system I will be using.
Any recommendations?
Thank you
Hi, This is the GHL forum, you may have more success asking this question in the Apex forum as they are the experts with that brand.

Back