Kalkwasser Dosing

angus34081

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone put Kalkwasser directly in their ATO and dose this way? Is this recommended as a way around buying a dosing pump (temporarily at least)?

ReeferPat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using an ATO and kalkwasser around two months ago. Only stir it once for 30 seconds or so and then put a lid on it. It will lose potency if you keep stirring (a kalkwasser stirrer is different than ATO. Also, make sure your pump is at least an inch off the bottom of the ATO reservoir. The bottom sludge is called a kalk slurry and is too potent. I made sure to test Alk daily to zero in on exact dosing needs. Alk has been stable at 8.9 for several weeks and PH has been stable at 8.3. Suddenly I am seeing daily growth in my sps. Everything was growing much slower before.

OP
OP
angus34081

angus34081

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using an ATO and kalkwasser around two months ago. Only stir it once for 30 seconds or so and then put a lid on it. It will lose potency if you keep stirring (a kalkwasser stirrer is different than ATO. Also, make sure your pump is at least an inch off the bottom of the ATO reservoir. The bottom sludge is called a kalk slurry and is too potent. I made sure to test Alk daily to zero in on exact dosing needs. Alk has been stable at 8.9 for several weeks and PH has been stable at 8.3. Suddenly I am seeing daily growth in my sps. Everything was growing much slower before.
Awesome, thanks

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to worry about it settling? And Just Kalkwasseror a combination kal, strontium and mag?

You don't have to worry about it settling out.

As for the straight or with mg, strontium that is going to depend on your salt mix. Is the salt on the higher end for mag, then no need to add more with the kalk. If it's on the low end, then maybe get kalk + mag if you're not doing frequent water changes.

Just make sure you clean your ato pump every month or so. Kalk is hard on pumps and can cause premature failure if the pump isn't maintained. I clean mine once a month, nothing crazy.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to worry about it settling out.

As for the straight or with mg, strontium that is going to depend on your salt mix. Is the salt on the higher end for mag, then no need to add more with the kalk. If it's on the low end, then maybe get kalk + mag if you're not doing frequent water changes.

Just make sure you clean your ato pump every month or so. Kalk is hard on pumps and can cause premature failure if the pump isn't maintained. I clean mine once a month, nothing crazy.

I haven't touched my ato pump in years. Just need to make sure lines aren't clogged that's it

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even think you can clean the cheap $10 dosing pump I use. Basically throw it away when it fails in 5 years

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I elevated my pump off the bottom of my ATO 5 gallon bucket so it doesn't come into contact with settled sediment,

every few weeks I refill it with water, throw in some fresh kalk and stir it up. and then clean the bucket out every month or so. works like a charm

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will settle out on the bottom. You want to pump up only the clear liquid.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back