Kalkwasser Dosing

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re not cycled, you likely don’t need it because nothing is using up your alk and cal, but coraline algae will use it up as it starts to grow.

You absolutely need a alkalinity test so you know where you’re at. If you mix your kalk solution too strong, alkalinity will go up. If your evaporation rate increases, your alkalinity will go up. This is why you need to test you alkalinity each time before you make a new batch of kalk solution. If your tank alkalinity went up since your last batch, mix it up a little weaker and visa Versa

I’m always surprised when people say that kalk couldn’t keep up with demand. I ran it out of my ATO for years with a tank full of SPS and it did the job.

It’s easy and nearly free compared to the alternatives. Here’s my old tank grown purely on Kalk:

0F7069A0-B004-4A1D-927F-1CB82D4C1F59.jpeg
02552324-2F70-4D83-B485-6D6F9D471EFC.jpeg

OP
OP
angus34081

angus34081

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re not cycled, you likely don’t need it because nothing is using up your alk and cal, but coraline algae will use it up as it starts to grow.

You absolutely need a alkalinity test so you know where you’re at. If you mix your kalk solution too strong, alkalinity will go up. If your evaporation rate increases, your alkalinity will go up. This is why you need to test you alkalinity each time before you make a new batch of kalk solution. If your tank alkalinity went up since your last batch, mix it up a little weaker and visa Versa

I’m always surprised when people say that kalk couldn’t keep up with demand. I ran it out of my ATO for years with a tank full of SPS and it did the job.

It’s easy and nearly free compared to the alternatives. Here’s my old tank grown purely on Kalk:

That’s the goal right there

ReeferPat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, I’m not using anywhere near the saturation point for kalkwasser and it seems so much easier and cheaper than the alternatives. ATO with kalkwasser was easily my best addition to the tank so far.:)

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclosure....I use a calcium reactor on my current tank, mostly to see if I would get better growth or color. I’m not really seeing a difference and the up front cost of a cal RX is literally about 100X the investment of a simple bag of pickling lime.

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using a dosing pump on my DIY Kalk reactor (Kamoer x1, $59.99) as I find that I can control the dosing much better.

10F1FFA4-15B5-4DF7-B690-614B60887D3D.jpeg

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's nice saw, only on kalk alone? myself I got a doser to dose cal from red sea cause it contains strontium too, not solely relying on kalk. on top of that I manually dose traces every week. are you doing anything for trace? or water changes

ReeferPat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclosure....I use a calcium reactor on my current tank, mostly to see if I would get better growth or color. I’m not really seeing a difference and the up front cost of a cal RX is literally about 100X the investment of a simple bag of pickling lime.
Ironically, I just got ICP results and I’m low on strontium. Will be dosing manually in addition to kalkwasser.:)

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I elevated my pump off the bottom of my ATO 5 gallon bucket so it doesn't come into contact with settled sediment,

every few weeks I refill it with water, throw in some fresh kalk and stir it up. and then clean the bucket out every month or so. works like a charm

How do you have your pump supported off the bottom?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back