Kalkwasser in soft coral tank

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..... will slowly raise your Alkalinity to dangerous level over 13dKH.

.Bc softies don't absorb much Calcium carbonate

if you have this deep desire to dose bc "its the thing to do" bc more is better, right? (eyeroll), then dose All4Reef in 1/3 amounts

Leave the Kalk for crisper pickles when canning

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestion of adding Kalkwasser into Soft coral tank? Good or bad?
Just, no.
If your Alk is dropping, increase the frequency of water changes. Stability is the key, but soft coral does not build a skeleton, so alk/calcium consumption is not a factor.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to see if you ned to add Kalk or anything for that matter, is to do a normal water change. Then test your parameters, then wait a week and test again before your water change, note the difference.That will be your usage. Then do your water change again, test again, that will be your replenishment. That will help you decide the method you need to use. Kalk maybe overkill, but, let's say you have tons of coraline algae growing then you may have to supplement.

OP
OP
V

vinvinaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your quick responses and suggestions! This is in fact a "hypothetical" question as I am still planning for my new tank. I added Kalk before for my old tank, and to be honest nothing significant happened. I am thinking whether I need Kalk reactor (probably DIY one). It seems this is not necessary if my target is to have majority softie / few LPS.

Back