kalkwasser mix cloudy

heliguy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i mixed some kent kalkwasser mix in a 5 gallon buket per directions and after a day a film was on the top but the water is very cloudy yet.i thought it was suppose to clear up in 8-10 hours but a day later it is still cloudy.please help anyone kinda new to dosing this stuff.:sad::sad::sad:

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there is to much calcium in the water it will precipitate and cover every thing...if that ever happens to your tank....do a water change...it happens to the tank when to much kalk water is added to the tank at once.

nkelr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no expirience on my end, but try sticking a powerhead in the bucket to keep it mixing

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no expirience on my end, but try sticking a powerhead in the bucket to keep it mixing

NO NO NO NO!!!! don't do that. You want to let it mix up then let things settle out. What I use to do when I mixed kalk was put the kalk in the bucket I was using then add the water. When the water was added that was what would do the mixing for me!

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here is what you do;
Mix several teaspoons into a 5, and let it settle for a day. Make sure you put it on an elevated surface to let it settle, this way it doesn't get stirred back up moving it. You can do this next to the tank if you want to dose it directly in, or in a convenient location to transfer to another container. A scum like residue will rise to the top, and the undissolved calcium will settle out. You want the clear water in between. I have an airline syphon rigged to pull from about 3" from the bottom. This water is really high pH (11.0-12.0), so it must be dripped in over a long period of time. Also be VERY careful not to overdose, a precipitation event will probably crash your tank. LMK if you have any more questions.:wink:

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somthing is wrong. Start over with 1/2 the kalk you used the first time, fresh RO/DI, and dont move the bucket at all when its settled, it stirs up very easily. I also use a cup to skim the surface, using surface tension.

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask the same thing that custom did. is it really cloudy or just a film on the top? it can trick you with a very thin film sometimes.

cubsare1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you must have a bad product, get some pickling lime and try again. Mine clears up in about 2 hrs total.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back