Kalkwasser tubing, containers, etc

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is kalkwasser doesn't work well with certain materials.

For tubing, I have the Neptune Dos and the tubing that comes with it. I also have RO tubing.

For a container, will a standard gallon jug work (think of a jug from the grocery store such as poland spring, Kroger, etc)? Or should I switch to something acrylic? Glass?

I have a nano tank (20g) so storing large quantities isn't a need.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a nano i would just use a soda or water bottle. I have never had an issue. It your concerned just select a thicker one like used for vitamin water and other drunks.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a nano i would just use a soda or water bottle. I have never had an issue. It your concerned just select a thicker one like used for vitamin water and other drunks.
Ok thanks, is tubing any concern? Perhaps I'm paranoid of the stories with hydroxides breaking down materials

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water bottle of kalk won’t last 1 day with most 20 gallon tanks. You need to dose a decent amount to raise levels.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water bottle of kalk won’t last 1 day with most 20 gallon tanks. You need to dose a decent amount to raise levels.
My tank consumes .3 to .5 dkh per
Guess it depends on the water bottle. According to the calculator Randy provides, I need about 150 ml.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank consumes .3 to .5 dkh per

Guess it depends on the water bottle. According to the calculator Randy provides, I need about 150 ml.
Just saying, filling a water bottle with kalk every couple days kind of defeats the purpose of a dosing pump.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I use a water bottle as my kalk reactor and pump through it 35000 ml a day from a 10 gallon ro/di container. A bit different of a set up than yours.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I use a water bottle as my kalk reactor and pump through it 35000 ml a day from a 10 gallon ro/di container. A bit different of a set up than yours.
I was not aware you were using it as a reactor. What is stirring the kalk?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the water flowing through it under pressure. It goes in the bottom via rigid air line tubing and out the top. Its not super saturated, but it works for my needs at this point. I dose 350ml 10 times hourly during the night.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid polycarbonate. It will degrade to the point of eventually failing.

What about r.o tube? And r.o connectors?

Screenshot_20221219_183409_Google.jpg

Back