Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other option would be to not use RO tubing for dosing lines.

They sell dosing line that is 1/4" OD, like RO tubing so that it works in all your push in john guest type fittings on your dosing containers while it has a 1/8" (3mm) ID, so it still fits over your dosing pump barbs/nozzles. One dosing line, no adapters/fittings needed.

They even sell it at Home Depot, a 20 foot roll is about $4. it only comes clear though, no colors.

1/8" ID 1/4" OD Clear PVC Vinyl Dosing Tubing

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have the one that I found when I posted this thread, which went inside a barbed fitting which I don’t especially like.

So I just started looking at them again and I just ordered some 3/16 to 1/8 barbed reducers from Amazon. I don’t know if it is the right size or not but it was said to work from a user on this thread so I’ll try it out.

If you want to wait until June 2 -June 6 (the delivery date) I will let you know if they worked for me.
Yes do let us know how it works out.

They sell dosing line that is 1/4" OD, like RO tubing so that it works in all your push in john guest type fittings on your dosing containers while it has a 1/8" (3mm) ID, so it still fits over your dosing pump barbs/nozzles. One dosing line, no adapters/fittings needed.

They even sell it at Home Depot, a 20 foot roll is about $4. it only comes clear though, no colors.

This sounds ideal, I'll check it out.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If rodi tubing doesn’t fit on the barb why would the same dimension vinyl tubing work?
Also, I try to avoid using vinyl tubing when I easily can because there are reports that certain types can leech tin into the water.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I got home I checked, and the only fitting that it includes is the one the goes from the head to the provided 3mm ID tubing. I tried seeing if a 1/4 tube would fit over that fitting instead of the supplied tubing and the fitting is too small.
When I look for barbed fittings they’re not mixed with one side being metric and the other being standard.
Of course @CoralVue uses some really obscure impossible to find tubing with these pumps (I looked forever trying to find it with no luck) - I ended up taking the little piece of tubing that’s included in the bag and jam it into a larger standard size tubing (these are silicone, a little easier) then snip of the end to make it fit tight.

A ghetto rig adapter of sorts

970A0E59-F1ED-42EF-BA35-64184BF9DD2E.jpeg 41B4521B-42CD-4B70-887C-B78DB2B4533C.jpeg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If rodi tubing doesn’t fit on the barb why would the same dimension vinyl tubing work?
Also, I try to avoid using vinyl tubing when I easily can because there are reports that certain types can leech tin into the water.
It's not the same dimensionally. Different ID's. They have the same 1/4" OD, but their ID's are different.
This dosing tube has a smaller ID than RO tubing, so it fits on the smaller barbs, where RO tubing doesn't (reliably)
This tubing has 1/8" or 3mm ID, where RO tubing has an ID a little over 4mm.

Just need to recalibrate your dosing pump if changing dosing line ID.

I was not aware of the tin issue with vinyl tubing though... interesting.

looks like I need to throw a chunk of this tubing into a container of RODI for a while and then send that off along with my next ICP test. I'm thinking that would confirm whether or not it's leaching any tin or not.

FYI. you can find this same vinyl tubing with either a 3mm/1/8" ID and they also make it with 4mm/.170" ID, which is very close to RO tubing. All with 1/4" OD, so it works in the push in fittings like RODI tubing. Just pick the one that fits on your particular doser nozzles and you are all set.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the same dimensionally. Different ID's. They have the same 1/4" OD, but their ID's are different.
This dosing tube has a smaller ID than RO tubing, so it fits on the smaller barbs, where RO tubing doesn't (reliably)
This tubing has 1/8" or 3mm ID, where RO tubing has an ID a little over 4mm.

Just need to recalibrate your dosing pump if changing dosing line ID.

I was not aware of the tin issue with vinyl tubing though... interesting.

looks like I need to throw a chunk of this tubing into a container of RODI for a while and then send that off along with my next ICP test. I'm thinking that would confirm whether or not it's leaching any tin or not.

FYI. you can find this same vinyl tubing with either a 3mm/1/8" ID and they also make it with 4mm/.170" ID, which is very close to RO tubing. All with 1/4" OD, so it works in the push in fittings like RODI tubing. Just pick the one that fits on your particular doser nozzles and you are all set.
For many years I have thought the id of rodi tubing was 1/8(.125”) and after reading your post I just looked online and it seems that it is actually either .142” or .170” (I am seeing both listed on different websites.

As for the tin leeching, I have never had it happen personally and I’ve just read about it. I do use some vinyl tubing in my system for long runs through my ceilings for my AWC but at the time I didn’t know about the possibility of tin leeching. My icp test never came back with elevated tin so mine didn’t seem to do it, or it’s old enough that anything that was going to leech out already did. I just try to avoid it now when possible.

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have the one that I found when I posted this thread, which went inside a barbed fitting which I don’t especially like.

So I just started looking at them again and I just ordered some 3/16 to 1/8 barbed reducers from Amazon. I don’t know if it is the right size or not but it was said to work from a user on this thread so I’ll try it out.

If you want to wait until June 2 -June 6 (the delivery date) I will let you know if they worked for me.
Sorry for reviving this, but did you end up testing the reducers? My x1 didn't come with the plastic barbs and I'm having trouble finding a solution.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for reviving this, but did you end up testing the reducers? My x1 didn't come with the plastic barbs and I'm having trouble finding a solution.
I dont remember if the reducers I bought off Amazon ended up working. When I get home this evening I will look at the pumps and see if that is what I have on them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back