Kamoer X2SR: Converting Vinyl Tubing to John Guest

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my new Kamoer X2SR water change system - however I was not satisfied with their use of 1/2” vinyl tubing to run the unit. This unit IMO is too flexible/bendable for such a purpose on a high end tank and I noticed problems with the initial setup in the vinyl tubing bending too much at the entrance to the tank - restricting the flow

IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0222.JPG
Because of this (and having to run the line through a wall a considerable distance from the tank) I decided to convert the cheap 1/2” ID vinyl tubing setup to high quality 1/2” ID LLDPE/Polyethylene tubing with push-fit fittings. As a note: The system is substantially more accurate with this new tubing vs the vinyl tubing!

Here’s how I did it:

The inlet/outlet feeds still have to be adapted to the Kamoer with vinyl tubing, so I cut 2-3” leaders of tubing, which connect to the X2SR pump barbs like normal.

IMG_0168.JPG
On the other end of the 1/2” tubing, I installed a John Guest 1/2” OD Stem x 3/8 ID Barb (Part PP251612W)

IMG_0169.JPG
Now the inlets/outlets can accommodate any 1/2” push-fit fitting, so I added JG 1/2” union connectors (Part PP0416W). From there, I can securely push-fit any standard 1/2” ID hard tubing (available at any HD/Lowes)

IMG_0223.JPG
The feeds then go through my utility room wall to the tank in the other room. I have an acrylic tank, so I drilled holes through the back of the sump area to securely anchor the lines (with corresponding 1/2" union elbows). If you were dealing with glass, you could easily just create a hook with union elbows to to over the top of the tank. You could obviously run the X2SR much closer to your tank and avoid long runs of tubing, but it is pretty loud (its pushing a lot of water compared to a normal dosing pump!) and I installed it in the other room with my water reservoirs to keep it quiet.

IMG_0221.JPG
The X2SR also has a built in ATO feature (using included float valves) that I installed. While Id prefer my optical ATO on my controller, the ATO integrated into the X2SR prevents RODI water from feeding to the tank while a water change is in progress. I directly plumbed a 1/4” LLDPE line from my 55g RODI barrel to the tank using the same methods, and the included ATO pump has no problem pushing the water about 15ft to the tank. Because it is directly attached to my RO barrel, I essentially never have to refill an ATO chamber again!

I am thrilled with the new system - the tank does automated daily water changes and ATO virtually silently, and I am already seeing an increase in system stability, cleanness and nitrate reduction!

If you are interested in refitting an X2SR using these methods, here are the primary parts I used:

John Guest Stem Barb Connector Polypro - 1/2 OD Stem x 3/8 ID Barb

John Guest Union Connector Polypro - 1/2

John Guest Locking Clip - 1/2

Last edited:
OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome writeup! One of these days I have to implement something similar on the ends of the dosing outputs as you did.
Thanks. Yeah my next attempt will be figuring out how to do it with a standard Kamoer dosing pump (like an X1) which might be a bit more difficult since they have a weird tubing diameter

louisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my new Kamoer X2SR water change system - however I was not satisfied with their use of 1/2” vinyl tubing to run the unit. This unit IMO is too flexible/bendable for such a purpose on a high end tank and I noticed problems with the initial setup in the vinyl tubing bending too much at the entrance to the tank - restricting the flow

IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0222.JPG
Because of this (and having to run the line through a wall a considerable distance from the tank) I decided to convert the cheap 1/2” ID vinyl tubing setup to high quality 1/2” ID LLDPE/Polyethylene tubing with push-fit fittings. As a note: The system is substantially more accurate with this new tubing vs the vinyl tubing!

Here’s how I did it:

The inlet/outlet feeds still have to be adapted to the Kamoer with vinyl tubing, so I cut 2-3” leaders of tubing, which connect to the X2SR pump barbs like normal.

IMG_0168.JPG
On the other end of the 1/2” tubing, I installed a John Guest 1/2” OD Stem x 3/8 ID Barb (Part PP251612W)

IMG_0169.JPG
Now the inlets/outlets can accommodate any 1/2” push-fit fitting, so I added JG 1/2” union connectors (Part PP0416W). From there, I can securely push-fit any standard 1/2” ID hard tubing (available at any HD/Lowes)

IMG_0223.JPG
The feeds then go through my utility room wall to the tank in the other room. I have an acrylic tank, so I drilled holes through the back of the sump area to securely anchor the lines (with corresponding 1/2" union elbows). If you were dealing with glass, you could easily just create a hook with union elbows to to over the top of the tank. You could obviously run the X2SR much closer to your tank and avoid long runs of tubing, but it is pretty loud (its pushing a lot of water compared to a normal dosing pump!) and I installed it in the other room with my water reservoirs to keep it quiet.

IMG_0221.JPG
The X2SR also has a built in ATO feature (using included float valves) that I installed. While Id prefer my optical ATO on my controller, the ATO integrated into the X2SR prevents RODI water from feeding to the tank while a water change is in progress. I directly plumbed a 1/4” LLDPE line from my 55g RODI barrel to the tank using the same methods, and the included ATO pump has no problem pushing the water about 15ft to the tank. Because it is directly attached to my RO barrel, I essentially never have to refill an ATO chamber again!

I am thrilled with the new system - the tank does automated daily water changes and ATO virtually silently, and I am already seeing an increase in system stability, cleanness and nitrate reduction!

If you are interested in refitting an X2SR using these methods, here are the primary parts I used:

John Guest Stem Barb Connector Polypro - 1/2 OD Stem x 3/8 ID Barb

John Guest Union Connector Polypro - 1/2

John Guest Locking Clip - 1/2
Are you pushing the water vertically at all. I can't get the little ATO pump to push of 1/4" tubing up one flight.

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the X2SR - installed yesterday.
It is an amazing bit of kit, I purchased 9.5mm ID tube 10m long to reach the tank under the house.
Small water change everyday. I like your solution for the hose.. I originally had 6mm line setup but it seemed to small.
Great writ up!

I use the Tunze ATO - so I remove old water from the sump chamber 1 - water in from DT and simultaneously add it to the return pump chamber from tank under the house. I have used a high level sensor in the return section from the X2SR.. not sure if it will stop the pump if it is triggered?

Man this thing can move some water quickly!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back