Kamoer's own cheaper alternative to Kamoer FX-STP dosing pump

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kamoer FX-STP is kind of famous already. I was browsing Kamoer's stuff and found that they have many other dosing pumps as well.

This is one of its I found. only $76 free ship to US.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kam...boratory-and-Drip-irrigation/32914401872.html

It lacks the FX-STP's lcd display and set to exact l/min. But measuring l/min should be easy enough, and the flow won't need to constantly change once dial down.

What do you guys think about this?

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like it's a continuous duty pump like the fx stp

It's a continuous dosing pump. There is no timer or dosing amount config, just runs when power is connected. Don't really see it's much difference from FX-STP besides less control feature and cheaper build.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a continuous dosing pump. There is no timer or dosing amount config, just runs when power is connected. Don't really see it's much difference from FX-STP besides less control feature and cheaper build.

Plenty of pumps have no control options and run when power is applied but are not rated for continuous duty. The expectation is to use them with some kind of external timer or control system. If it doesn’t specifically say it’s for continuous use I would assume it isn’t.

Lighthouze08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at AliExpress and also found the cheaper Kamoer pump

http://www.kamoer.com/Products/showproduct.php?id=292&lang=en

I’m also wondering if it’s continuous duty. Kamoer’s webpage doesn’t specify but then their page for the FX-STP doesn’t say it’s for continuous duty either.

I don’t need the digital display and ml/min information for running a sulfur denitrator since I will dial it in based on ORP.

Would be great if this pump would work since it’s about 1/3 the cost of the FX-STP model.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You surly can use it on a ca reactor, but it does have to run all day everyday. You don’t want no/leave flow from the ca reactor. You can turn co2 off during non light hours, but otherwise water is pumping through always.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree it’s meant to run all day, hence being continuous duty. But is it continuous duty? I haven’t found this information anywhere. Are you using this pump?

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe it is meant to be used continuously. You will have to change the head more frequently than the stp, so it may end up costing the same eventually.

Agree it’s meant to run all day, hence being continuous duty. But is it continuous duty? I haven’t found this information anywhere. Are you using this pump?

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe it is meant to be used continuously. You will have to change the head more frequently than the stp, so it may end up costing the same eventually.

Those heads will be pretty cheap to replace. Even if replacing one per half a year, it would take years to get it over the cost of STP, way pass its designed life span.

Honestly, I think it's more likely than not that cheaper one is as durable as FX-STP, just with less functionality. Kamoers just don't market it to the western market for aquarium use because they knew they can sell the more expensive one just as good. If they also market the cheaper one it will undercut their own higher end model. It's more like a marketing stun to the western / aquarium market. In their Chinese website there is no mention about durability or continuous-duty of FX-STP at all.

soeminpaing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those heads will be pretty cheap to replace. Even if replacing one per half a year, it would take years to get it over the cost of STP, way pass its designed life span.

Honestly, I think it's more likely than not that cheaper one is as durable as FX-STP, just with less functionality. Kamoers just don't market it to the western market for aquarium use because they knew they can sell the more expensive one just as good. If they also market the cheaper one it will undercut their own higher end model. It's more like a marketing stun to the western / aquarium market. In their Chinese website there is no mention about durability or continuous-duty of FX-STP at all.
If you look at the cost of the pumps from regular dosing pump to stepper motor pump you probably already figure out the price differences is due to the cost of the stepper motor. Regular peristalsis pump cost around 20$ and their working hour is really poor like a few hundred hours. You will probably be replacing the motor monthly I think. Anyway if you go with the cheaper route, please keep us updated on how it turn out.

eliceatek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kam...lgo_pvid=b68d02d3-04d9-47ca-b9a3-18ce2bdbc8c0
plus this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kam...lgo_pvid=d69c6c3f-231a-4789-89c9-3a6cc68cc28c

you'll have the same thing as the kamoer fx-stp without the screen. I've been using this setup on my calcium reactor continuously for over a month now.

or you can get the motor and roller through CoralVue, and the control board through kamoer.

How has this been working for you?

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as well. 2 parts for less than $100 or 1/3 of the cost of a full one. As long as it can be set properly, I don't need a screen or a knob that likely won't get turned.

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anyone know much about this? Can it be used for continuous use?​

Kamoer KXP100​

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back