OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am beginning my war against digitate hydroids. They have been multiplying in my tank like crazy. I can’t really cut back feeding because of my anthias. My diamond goby doesn’t help since he stirs up the substrate which releases organics. Skimming and mechanical is not keeping the floating particulates down. This equals a formula for ideal hydroid environment.

I did some research and came across fenbendazole as a solution to eradicate hydroids. Dosage is low, but it will still kill some softies, snails, and some other inverts, but overall no effect on anything else. Will need aggressive chemical filtration and water changes after 24-30 hours to remove meds and continue to clean the water for 3 months before reintroducing GSP, Xenia, or snails.

So far everything looks good. Bummer since the tank was doing so well until these hydroids started taking off and irritating my corals, causing tissue recession and slower growth. Hopefully this solves the issue fast!

Die hydroids!!!

73AD6C6B-B61A-448D-9161-95057C1D1D4D.jpeg

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any update on this tank? I really enjoyed following your build as I also have a Nuvo 20 and am planning to upgrade to a Reefer 250.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am beginning my war against digitate hydroids. They have been multiplying in my tank like crazy. I can’t really cut back feeding because of my anthias. My diamond goby doesn’t help since he stirs up the substrate which releases organics. Skimming and mechanical is not keeping the floating particulates down. This equals a formula for ideal hydroid environment.

I did some research and came across fenbendazole as a solution to eradicate hydroids. Dosage is low, but it will still kill some softies, snails, and some other inverts, but overall no effect on anything else. Will need aggressive chemical filtration and water changes after 24-30 hours to remove meds and continue to clean the water for 3 months before reintroducing GSP, Xenia, or snails.

So far everything looks good. Bummer since the tank was doing so well until these hydroids started taking off and irritating my corals, causing tissue recession and slower growth. Hopefully this solves the issue fast!

Die hydroids!!!

73AD6C6B-B61A-448D-9161-95057C1D1D4D.jpeg
@kartrsu how's the battle with the hydroids?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back