Katie's seahorse tank build

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use a new blade and hole it at about a 45 degree angle to the glass. Don't drag it did to side. It you think that's really all a magnet scraper is. I haven't had issues before. Scratches normally come from picking up sand.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the surface is wet also while you scrape and change the blade as it dulls. You will still need a solvent for the limewater stain to help. Been there done that.... it may not all come off but can get better so it'll be less noticeable.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how the test run on the sump went. Minus my smear and the seahorse stencil fail,
20170403_143556.jpg
i love how it turned out. Sorry the angle is weird i did it on the short end so had a hard time getting an angle for the camera. The peach paint i used for the coral will glow under actinics.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today i got one coat of paint on the inside of the doors and taped up the part of the canopy i missed. I hope to finish painting the stand and canopy tomorrow. I need to go buy a razor. All i have here are box cutters.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to finish up painting the stand and canopy and got the doors back on the stand. Razor isn't doing much for me. Apparently i suck at it. However, when its wet you can barely see the stain so i think it will be ok.

I started painting the tank. I want to leave 24 hours between layers or having to touch it so it will be awhile.

I think i will be going with the hob cs100dx with aqualifter pump and jebao dct4000 or 6000 pump. I plan to order those once the tank is finished, so hopefully in the next week or so. No pics this time. Hopefully full tank shot in the next update.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited. Looks like the overflow and return pump will be delivered tomorrow. May get water in the tank this weekend and be able to start looking into scaping :)

Still need to find a protein skimmer and chiller though. Any suggestions on my sump setup. It only has the 2 compartments. The overflow goes into a filter sock which is in the main compartment (there were 2 socks but the overflow only has one so I removed the 2nd one to use while the 1st is being washed) and then a smaller 2nd compartment. I assume the return will go in the 2nd compartment. Does the protein skimmer go in the 1st or last compartment? I think the chiller has a pump in the sump which sends water to the chiller and then a return hose back to the sump? Does that sound right?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited. Looks like the overflow and return pump will be delivered tomorrow. May get water in the tank this weekend and be able to start looking into scaping :)

Still need to find a protein skimmer and chiller though. Any suggestions on my sump setup. It only has the 2 compartments. The overflow goes into a filter sock which is in the main compartment (there were 2 socks but the overflow only has one so I removed the 2nd one to use while the 1st is being washed) and then a smaller 2nd compartment. I assume the return will go in the 2nd compartment. Does the protein skimmer go in the 1st or last compartment? I think the chiller has a pump in the sump which sends water to the chiller and then a return hose back to the sump? Does that sound right?
I am excited for you! I would put the protein skimmer in the drain chamber to hopefully cut down on micro bubbles.
My chiller is set up like you say yours is. I have my pump for the chiller in the drain chamber also but the chillers output goes into the return chamber. That way the cooled water is heading directly for the display.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY got the plumbing done. Now I just need to make enough water to do a test run to make sure I don't have any leaks and get the return pump dialed in.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY got the plumbing done. Now I just need to make enough water to do a test run to make sure I don't have any leaks and get the return pump dialed in.
Flipping the switch to turn on the return pump is always an anxious moment, ha ha!

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait to see you up and running. Loving my poinies even though it has been a learning curve almost every step of the way.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back