Katie's seahorse tank build

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 6 miniature ones but thinking of adding same as yours. They're so cool how they swim. I have 60 gallon tank where I'm keeping ponies and some other docile fish. Plumbed with my 210 g using same sump. Love em

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 6 miniature ones but thinking of adding same as yours. They're so cool how they swim. I have 60 gallon tank where I'm keeping ponies and some other docile fish. Plumbed with my 210 g using same sump. Love em
I don't want to discourage you but keeping ponies in a tank plumbed to a larger reef tank can be risky to ponies. Seahorses do best in temperatures below 75°F and very few reef tanks are run that cool. Also seahorses are at risk from pathogens carried by the wild caught fish in the reef.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shes right you know

So ReeferDave01 you have a seahorse tank but no seahorse tank thread with pictures??????????????????????? Slacker

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
352797508b5475a5f70b9a1a5f3d63d8.jpg

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I haven't been updating lately. Sadly I'm still trying to fill the thing with water. The RODI is sooooo slow and until last night I could only run when I was sitting right there because I have flooded the floor multiple times (my husband is not a fan). Last night I finally figured out a way to move the "waste" water directly to a drain with no help from me. I still only run it when I'm home but I can run it much longer now. Lugging the water upstairs from the basement sucks though. I think the tank is about halfway full. Hopefully I can finally do a leak test of the plumbing this weekend!

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dumped a couple gallons on the floor doing a water change. Dang aquariums.

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked up my RODI unit outside to water hose in back yard. Rodi goes into 20 gallon bucket and waste goes into my swimming pool

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I haven't been updating lately. Sadly I'm still trying to fill the thing with water. The RODI is sooooo slow and until last night I could only run when I was sitting right there because I have flooded the floor multiple times (my husband is not a fan). Last night I finally figured out a way to move the "waste" water directly to a drain with no help from me. I still only run it when I'm home but I can run it much longer now. Lugging the water upstairs from the basement sucks though. I think the tank is about halfway full. Hopefully I can finally do a leak test of the plumbing this weekend!
Any updates?

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on water. My DI cartridge died on me and I had to order a new one. Just got it the other day so starting to make more water again. It's taking forever! So far I have not reflooded the basement, so that is good :)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on water. My DI cartridge died on me and I had to order a new one. Just got it the other day so starting to make more water again. It's taking forever! So far I have not reflooded the basement, so that is good :)
:) I also make water in my basement and even though I have a handy drain for the waste water and a large brute can, I have been known to overfill it a time or two or three. Shhhh, don't tell any one. Usually it only gets the concrete wet near the brute can but it has gone as far as the carpet. Thats what box fans are for, right?

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my problem was the waste water. I don't have a drain handy so had to keep an eye on it. I ended up running a siphon hose from the can to the bathroom around the corner. I just have to hope nobody trips or accidentally pulls it out of the tub. I haven't overflowed the good water yet.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak test in progress! So far just a couple connections. I think i fixed by tightening the bracket thingies. It is very noisy splashing into the sump. Anything i can do to muffle that?

20170523_174645.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad the leaks seem to be fixed. Can you run your sump higher, or add a connecting pipe to make the drain a little longer so that it is under water? Or is it already under water and all the churning water is making the splashing noise?
My first thought was a filter sponge on the end of the drain might dampen the splashing noise but then you will have to wash it out twice a week to make sure no mysis going over the overflow gets caught in it and fueling bad bacteria. Let me think on it a bit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back