Kavo11's Red Sea Reefer 250 - My FIRST tank ever!

OP
OP
Kavo11

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that you have the stand & tank next to a heater/AC vent may cause a problem, over heating or over cooling. May want to reconsider location.
Great point @Clarke. I was wondering about this. My hope is that since the vent can be fully closed, any heat or AC blasting out should be highly minimized. My brother has kept a FW tank of his for years directly over this vent and never had an issue. Granted FW is much less finicky from my understanding vs SW, but I'm hoping keeping it closed will resolve any worries. I may invest in a cover/build a cover too that diverts all air in the other direction.

OP
OP
Kavo11

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll throw another option for a skimmer. I have the Reef Octopus 150sss and it works great. It’s a ‘little’ on the noisy side, but I am running a DC pump so there isn’t any noise other than the skimmer.
I was checking the reef octopus out on BRS and it has great reviews! It's now a top contender for sure. I'm hoping to make a decision on skimmer/light(s) by New Year's day to place my order. I'll update the thread as soon as I place any orders to keep everyone up to date and gather opinions/insight.

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 350. With a bubble mag curve 5 love this skimmer. And I had a lot of different ones in my past.

OP
OP
Kavo11

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield how can I go about getting one of your return pump splitters? I saw @pelphreys video and need one for my 250!

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Kavo11

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update!

More supplies have been ordered and finally showed up today. That includes:

• 2x 20lb Caribsea Special Grade Arag-Alive! live reef sand
  • 45lb BRS Pukani dry live rock
  • 1x Kessil AP700
  • 2x Kessil A series mounting arm
  • 1x Sicce Synchra Silent 4.0 (951GPH)
  • 1 x Red Sea Coral Pro Salt 175G
  • 1x 50ft python
  • 1x Marine Pure biofilter media plate 8x8x1
I also went to my local home depot and picked up a Brute 44g container which I'll be using to cure my pukani. I'm thinking I'll go with the bleach method as BRS seemed to have great results and it'll be less of a headache than dealing with an acid cure. The smaller bits in the bag will most likely be placed in the sump as extra surface area for bacteria to grow. Aquascaping should be a blast. Just need to get the darn cure out of the way first before the fun begins! These big pieces should give me the freedom to carve them up and create interesting caves (so I hope!).

We're currently trying to decide which RO/DI system to buy. Dad and I are thinking we'll go with a Spectra Pure system, but we'll be making a phone call to them first before deciding which unit to get. I plan to stop by Petco tomorrow to pick up a 20G long to use as my QT tank. Might grab a 10G too to use as my coral QT tank. I feel like we're making decent progress here, but still lots to go before we'll be up and running. I need to order my Cobalt Neotherm heaters (2x 150w for redundancy) and controller for those. I was going to go Eheim Jager, but the more I read the more I want the Cobalts. I'll most likely go with the Hanna checkers for perameters, still more research to do there as well. Still need powerheads, will probably upgrade the ATO as well with a Tunze. The list goes on and on and the wallet gets lighter and lighter!

Anyways, let's get to the fun part. PICS!!!!!
IMG_4579.jpeg
IMG_4584.jpeg
IMG_4585.jpeg
IMG_4586.jpeg
IMG_4587.jpeg

OP
OP
Kavo11

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's update: I picked up a 20g long from Petco as part of their $1/g sale to use as my fish QT. My brother should have a 10g laying around somewhere he says that I can use for my coral QT tank. Also ordered a bunch of other stuff but I think I'll wait til it arrives next week before spilling the beans.

I also started my BRS pukani cure today. I decided to go with the bleach method as BRS had great results with it compared to acid cure and standard cure. Figured it was the best since its safer than messing with acid. I managed to cover all 45lb easily with 20g water and 2g bleach (10:1 ratio). I plan to let it sit for a solid week at least. Then I'll rinse the bleach out as best as possible and refill the 44g brute container with RODI and dechlorinator to ensure all the remaining bleach is neutralized.
IMG_4608.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kavo11, Welcome to the Salty Side!!! I have a RSR 250 too!!! A word of advice: get silent equipment!! Although my build is in our shop and not home, the Skimz skimmer with AC pump is LOUD!! You might want to reconsider the Sicce return pump, I have the very same model and although it isn't loud, it's audible. Everyone advertises silent equipment nowadays. B-)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A note on your RODI system, I have a spectrapure and LOVE it! Although to be honest at the end of the day BRS and spectrapure as well as most other RODI systems are only as good as the filters inside of them. I run a dual RO in series, 4 stage from spectrapure with a BRS upgrade kit. Have 250 TDS coming in, 2 after dual RO and 0 after single DI. Quality filters are key and as for a skimmer, I have a lifereef skimmer and although it's the only skimmer I've ever used. After tons of review readings and research it's A one of the easiest to tune in (according to other owners, although being a beginner it was pretty easy as well), B replacement parts you could honestly build yourself and C, It will take ANY pump you want. If one dies, just swap it for another, doesn't matter what brand as long as it puts out the right GPH. Worth atleast a look I think, they are a little pricier than most but the smallest one he makes is rated for quite a larger system so if you ever decide to upgrade your tank, you don't need a new skimmer to go with it... I guess the only issue would be the size, it's not the smallest but if it fits in your sump it would have my vote FWIW.

OP
OP
Kavo11

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kavo11, Welcome to the Salty Side!!! I have a RSR 250 too!!! A word of advice: get silent equipment!! Although my build is in our shop and not home, the Skimz skimmer with AC pump is LOUD!! You might want to reconsider the Sicce return pump, I have the very same model and although it isn't loud, it's audible. Everyone advertises silent equipment nowadays. B-)
@powers2001 I hope the Sicce isn't that loud, after all the put silent right in the name lol I'm honestly not too worried about it given my tank location. It's in between the kitchen and living room where a TV is almost always on or music so it shouldn't drive us crazy!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 I hope the Sicce isn't that loud, after all the put silent right in the name lol I'm honestly not too worried about it given my tank location. It's in between the kitchen and living room where a TV is almost always on or music so it shouldn't drive us crazy!
I had my Synchra Silent 4.0 with the green stock hose on, then switched to silicone hose from BRS and it helped with noise. I'm replacing it with a COR 15. I let the water in my ATO reservoir go dry then my Sicce went dry several times and darn near ruined it. It puts out a lot less more flow that it used to. The COR is on pre-order and won't be here til late Feb.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reefer 250! Welcome to the club! Can’t wait to see how it shapes up... same tank, so many possibilities!

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jr'Reef ! Especially when it's your 1st tank ever!!!

My best advice and I'm sure you know this by now but just in case, do not use regular tap water to start the tank or regular tap water to refill the evaporated water. That will save you a lot of avoidable headaches

OP
OP
Kavo11

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice and I'm sure you know this by now but just in case, do not use regular tap water to start the tank or regular tap water to refill the evaporated water. That will save you a lot of avoidable headaches
Very wise words! I have a 5 stage RODI system sitting in my living room just waiting to be setup.

OP
OP
Kavo11

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More goodies have arrived! Pics of course, but here's what I got.
  • Tunze Osmolator 3155
  • Spectrapure MaxCap 90GPD RODI system
  • BRS Refractometer
  • Hanna Instruments dKH digital tester
  • RedSea Calcium Pro test kit
  • Brightwell Aquatics Erase-CL dechlorinator
The dechlorinator will ensure I get all remaining bleach out from my Pukani rock. The pukani has been sitting in 10:1 bleach mixture for 2 weeks now.

Dad and I have decided to hard plumb the entire sump area (return, drain and emergency drain). This idea started with just hard plumbing the return, but we figured why not do the others as well to maintain a uniform look. The main purpose for hard plumbing will be to add a manifold so we can install multiple valves. Thus allowing us to run multiple items (carbon reactor, GFO reactor, maybe even biopellets) off of one pump instead of having multiple pumps. Speaking of pumps, we decided the Sicce Synchra Silent 4.o isn't going to cut it. Between the added flow requirements for the manifold as well as the various reactors, we've chosen to return the Sicce and get the Reef Octopus Vario-S 8 DC pump (2700GPH). This pump will provide us with more than enough flow for this tank. Assuming I ever decide to upgrade the tank, this pump should be more than sufficient for my next size up. Plus it comes with the benefit of supposedly being much quieter than the Sicce AND it's APEX ready. Still deciding if I want to shell out the cash for the APEX from day 1 or wait a bit to add it, we'll see.

We're hoping to place a BRS order today for the pump along with all necessary components to hard plumb the sump area. I'll keep everyone in suspense of the hard plumbing design and PVC color choice! Enough talk though, pic time.

IMG_4652.jpeg

IMG_4651.jpeg

IMG_4655.jpeg

IMG_4654.jpeg

IMG_4653.jpeg

IMG_4657.jpeg

OP
OP
Kavo11

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the long delay in posting. Since last time, lots of goodies arrived and progress has been made! Dad and I decided to switch out the Sicce Synchra Silent 4.0 for a Reef Octopus Varios8. We decided to hard plumb the tank so it made sense to get a powerful DC pump that can be dialed back, but will have definitely have enough flow. I decided the Reef Octopus 150sss would be a perfect skimmer for the setup. It fits well in the sump and should be able to handle a heavy bioload in this 65g tank. Decided to go with Salifert for the PH and MG tests and also got a TDS meter for redundancy to periodically check the RODI unit. For hard plumbing, we went with blue schedule 40 PVC tubing as well as grey schedule 80 fittings all from BRS. I have to give my dad credit here as he captained the plumbing job with me as the assistant. We hard plumbed a manifold with 3 valves. As of now, we have 2 aquamaxx reactors, one for carbon and one for GFO. We may turn the stock ATO into a refugium. If so, we'll use the extra valve to run that or possibly an algae reactor. I think the plumbing turned out excellent overall.

I'm very happy with my final aquascape. If anyone wants to see the progress pics of the initial idea to where I ended up with the design, let me know and I'll add those pics too. I didn't use any glue or rods, the pukani holds together well how it's placed. I hope my gut is right on that!

Tomorrow seems like a big day for our tank progression! I'm making RODI tonight and should be filling the tank up sometime tomorrow to begin it's cycle barring no unforeseen issues. I'm stoked!

IMG_4871.jpeg

IMG_4872.jpeg

IMG_4873.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%

Back