OP
Coronus

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Discovered aefw early June in my frag system -- thankfully not my DT. Here is how it went with KCL.

I used Bayer for years, but grew tired of the work to safely handle the stuff. As said already, it is also a chore to see what pests if any are removed. I've also used melaleuca (tea tree oil) and it does OK getting them to release. The AEFW certainly don't like it, but they don't die even hours later.

Then at the suggestion of @shane backer I tried 2 tbls per gallon KCI and can tell you it kills AEFW. I dipped about 5 minutes under heavy basting with a powerhead. Left in the tub, aefw actually begin to come apart or shrivel. Pods are dead almost immediately.

The first dip revealed 30-40 large worms (1/4 to 1/2"). Each week there would be fewer and they would be smaller.

For the eggs, I either cut/remount or superglued over them.

It took me 8 weeks of weekly dipping to knock them pretty much out. I now dip once a month and haven't found anything since August. Interestingly, my AEFW had clear preferences for certain acros like my classic tricolor and raspberry milli. Adjacent frag/colonies they never seemed to touch.

As to harshness for coral of this dip, well I did lose a couple smaller frags like my Event Horizon milli and an Oregon tort but they were a bit compromised. My opinion would be that Bayer is more gentle and CoralRX is harsher than KCL.
The 2 tblsp per gallon, is that a stock solution you made to keep using?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 tblsp per gallon, is that a stock solution you made to keep using?

That is just the ratio I was using. I would actually mix 3 gallons at time in a rectangular tray. Then just drop the loaded frag rack in it and baste for about 3-4 minutes. I have 18 racks I think, so it is pretty time consuming.

Sometimes the water got so fouled with acro slime, debris and dying stuff I felt compelled to stop midway and create another batch. Just so I could get a better sense of which colonies/frags were under attack.

It takes a couple stiff IPAs to complete.

OP
OP
Coronus

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is just the ratio I was using. I would actually mix 3 gallons at time in a rectangular tray. Then just drop the loaded frag rack in it and baste for about 3-4 minutes. I have 18 racks I think, so it is pretty time consuming.

Sometimes the water got so fouled with acro slime, debris and dying stuff I felt compelled to stop midway and create another batch. Just so I could get a better sense of which colonies/frags were under attack.

It takes a couple stiff IPAs to complete.
I usually don’t use more than 4 cups of a dip solution at one time.
I could use the 2 tablespoons and make one gallon of dip solution and store it and then just use whatever I need whenever I’m dipping incoming Corals.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually don’t use more than 4 cups of a dip solution at one time.
I could use the 2 tablespoons and make one gallon of dip solution and store it and then just use whatever I need whenever I’m dipping incoming Corals.

That makes good sense to me. Keep a jug of solution around. When new corals come in, you float them in your sump to temp acclimate. At the same time, float a sealed container of dip to temp match and off you go.

In my situation, I had to dip +100 corals each weekend.

Laurens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant get bayer in my country so I am looking at polyplab primer. When you say it is a bit harsh on the corals, how did you notice it harmed the coral? Couldn't it be the aefw?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant get bayer in my country so I am looking at polyplab primer. When you say it is a bit harsh on the corals, how did you notice it harmed the coral? Couldn't it be the aefw?
I am not sure if you are replying to me or not, but I would not say KCl is harsh. To me, CoralRx is harsh but effective. The least harsh is Bayer but it is a pain to work with safely IMO.

Laurens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was (I cant quote for some reason). Thanks for the answer, I will buy freshly cut acro tips and dip them in primer before putting them in my tank.

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
1 tablespoon KCL per gallon will kill flatworms in 7 minutes. they literally just fall off you don't need a powerhead.. you can just watch them peel off. I like to use 2 tablespoon per gallon and have used 4 tablespoon per gallon and it still doesn't hurt the coral. the key to beating flatworms is beating the egg cycle. its all great that the KCL kills the flatworms in 7 minutes but it doesn't kill the eggs, so people get aggressive and dip all the corals but they don't kill the eggs so they then have flatworms again LOL. if you have AEFW and you want to beat it.. you have to CUT all the corals off the rocks and put them onto egg crates. then you just find a tupperware container or a huge plastic bin a storage bin will do.. then cut the egg crate the same size as the bin.. now just drop the whole egg crate into the bin so you are dipping all the corals at once.. this way you can literally dip all corals within 10 minutes. put the rack back into your tank and then do that 8 week in a row... that is the only way to beat them.. so for all of you that have AEFW and the corals are on your rocks.. the hardest part is cutting them off and doing this method.. now if you have crust on the rocks then you have to glue over the crust to kill that part of the coral on the rocks so you have no coral on the rocks once you cut them off. ..i know its sad to do since you worked so hard on the scape.. .. but this is the critical thing you gave to do to beat it.... its actually very easy to beat if you commit to this method...

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if you are replying to me or not, but I would not say KCl is harsh. To me, CoralRx is harsh but effective. The least harsh is Bayer but it is a pain to work with safely IMO.
Yeah, I don't find KCl harsh at all on the corals. I often forget my corals in the dip and remove them later... I've dipped corals for well over an hour without any ill effects.

Sure kills everything else though. Its sad when I find Acro crabs this way :(

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which KCL product do you use? Any links would be great. Thanks.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used potassium permanganate in my entire 135 gallon aquarium when it was fresh water. Didnt kill my fish or my plants. I left it in the water for 5-10 minutes. Befire neutralizing it with h202 which is hydrogen peroxide. Itll neutralize Potassium permanganate immediatly.

Im exoerimenting with PP niw in dipping my favia currently dealing with sort if infection. Spot dabbing it with hand sanitizer and q tios aka alcohol. Worked so PP should maybe work in theory because it is a disinfectant. You use it in home house filters btw.

I do know PP immediatly killed amphipods and brittle stars. And its been used to kill ich in fresh water. So i dont see why it wouldnt work in salt water.

Unfirtunatly my entire tank well half ny lps are dealing with this infection.. and if this favia recovers from the PP dip i am going to consider putting this into my entire reef tank to try and stop this infection.. removing all my inverts of course before hand

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discovered aefw early June in my frag system -- thankfully not my DT. Here is how it went with KCL.

I used Bayer for years, but grew tired of the work to safely handle the stuff. As said already, it is also a chore to see what pests if any are removed. I've also used melaleuca (tea tree oil) and it does OK getting them to release. The AEFW certainly don't like it, but they don't die even hours later.

Then at the suggestion of @shane backer I tried 2 tbls per gallon KCI and can tell you it kills AEFW. I dipped about 5 minutes under heavy basting with a powerhead. Left in the tub, aefw actually begin to come apart or shrivel. Pods are dead almost immediately.

The first dip revealed 30-40 large worms (1/4 to 1/2"). Each week there would be fewer and they would be smaller.

For the eggs, I either cut/remount or superglued over them.

It took me 8 weeks of weekly dipping to knock them pretty much out. I now dip once a month and haven't found anything since August. Interestingly, my AEFW had clear preferences for certain acros like my classic tricolor and raspberry milli. Adjacent frag/colonies they never seemed to touch.

As to harshness for coral of this dip, well I did lose a couple smaller frags like my Event Horizon milli and an Oregon tort but they were a bit compromised. My opinion would be that Bayer is more gentle and CoralRX is harsher than KCL.

1 tablespoon KCL per gallon will kill flatworms in 7 minutes. they literally just fall off you don't need a powerhead.. you can just watch them peel off. I like to use 2 tablespoon per gallon and have used 4 tablespoon per gallon and it still doesn't hurt the coral. the key to beating flatworms is beating the egg cycle. its all great that the KCL kills the flatworms in 7 minutes but it doesn't kill the eggs, so people get aggressive and dip all the corals but they don't kill the eggs so they then have flatworms again LOL. if you have AEFW and you want to beat it.. you have to CUT all the corals off the rocks and put them onto egg crates. then you just find a tupperware container or a huge plastic bin a storage bin will do.. then cut the egg crate the same size as the bin.. now just drop the whole egg crate into the bin so you are dipping all the corals at once.. this way you can literally dip all corals within 10 minutes. put the rack back into your tank and then do that 8 week in a row... that is the only way to beat them.. so for all of you that have AEFW and the corals are on your rocks.. the hardest part is cutting them off and doing this method.. now if you have crust on the rocks then you have to glue over the crust to kill that part of the coral on the rocks so you have no coral on the rocks once you cut them off. ..i know its sad to do since you worked so hard on the scape.. .. but this is the critical thing you gave to do to beat it.... its actually very easy to beat if you commit to this method...
So my guess is this dip will be effective against red and black bugs? I've never had either thankfully but also don't want them. @ScottB I've used melafix as well. I wonder if KCl would be better for things other than AEFW?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back