View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters seem to be back in line.

Po4: p.12
No3: 17
Alk: 8.0

Will likely increase kalk stirrer dosage just a bit and eventually turn AFR doser back on. Great to see that the corals are all still doing well even with the much lower alk levels.

BS Super Rainbow
52999820360_47865842f2_o.jpeg

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going pretty well, all things considered. Added a few new fish that successfully made it through qt and have a couple more in it currently.

Currently in display
Black Tang (boss of tank)
Tomini Tang
Powder Blue Tang (New addition)
Salifin Tang (New addition)
Chaoti Wrasse
Watanabei Angel mated pair
Mystery wrasse (New addition)
Pintail Wrasse (New addition)
Eight Line Flasher Female (New Addition)

In QT
IMG_2336.jpeg

Tiny yellow and the exquisite will go in the frag tank.

I’ve been doing a bit of maintenance, and took advantage of the somewhat warm December weather (45 degrees) to pressure wash my saltwater mixing bin. Couldn’t get all of it off but better than nothing.

Before
IMG_2291.png

After
IMG_2307.jpeg

I also decided to take the UV offline for a few reasons:
1. I’ve been reading more on how running one 24/7 might not be so good as it kills both the good and bad.
2. I have no clue what the flow is going through it so there’s a good chance it wasn’t doing much to begin with.
3. The way I plumbed it in added a ton of unnecessary 90 degree turns in my return plumbing. Taking it off has drastically reduced this.
4. I can always add it in temporarily with it’s own pump (and flow meter I have lying around) if need be.

The one con to taking it offline however is that my water got yellow fast… so it was definitely keeping the water clear at the very least. I’ve been looking into ozone but it seems both too expensive and a bit sketchy.

What I REALLY need to do is figure out how to get these cords off the ground behind my sump. Any ideas??
IMG_2370.jpeg

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received this guy from AquaSD circa 2019. The picture on their site looked insane however the piece I received looked nothing like it (go figure). I will say that AquaSD made things right when I reached out about it.

Fast forward to when I was moving things into the new tank and the way I repositioned the rocks in this tank completely shaded out this colony. I was going to leave it and just let them (likely) wither away as they were grown onto the rock and it would be tough to break off, but in the end I decided to do it. And I’m glad I did because It’s been in the frag tank for six+ months and has colored up insanely well.
IMG_2404_jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up using this to elevate my cords from the ground thanks to a recommendation by a local reefer. Works perfect and stretches both behind my sump and tank.
Sidewinder

Now to fix this mess.
IMG_2386.jpeg

Innovative Marine said they don't usually sell just the stand shelves so I asked for exact measurements of them and will be ordering some custom cut starboard shelves, which these electrical cords will be placed on. this should free up a bunch of space and make the area safe.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought HDPE sheets would be stiff (shows how much I know) and it most certainly is not. Received my custom cut plastic sheet and it bends way too much to be used as a shelf. Maybe if I went with 1/2” instead of 1/8” it would work… dumb mistake but oh well.

Went to Home Depot to grab some melamine MDF board but the only one they had was 3/4”. Ended up going with a plain 1/2” MDF board and putting the 1/8” HDPE over it.

IMG_2525.jpeg

Really happy with how clean and safe it made things under the tank. I also tried to tidy up the cords a bit as well, which I had mild success with.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue light special torch pic. It’s been tough to get the flow right for both the sps and euphyllia but I think I’ve got it as close as it’s going to get for now.
IMG_2576_jpg.jpeg

One of these days I’ll bring back out the dslr. Maybe once the sps have grown a bit!

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used an inkbird temp controller for years with great success. However since switching to 2 300w Finnex heaters, I’ve experienced some issues.

The major issue was a scary one a year or so ago when I walked into the room and smelt something burning. Turned out to be the outlet the inkbird was plugged into on the profilux. Luckily no fire but a close call. Fried that outlet so I purchased a new inkbird and placed it in a new outlet (still on the profilux).

No fire scares since, but the male connector on the powercord is still abnormally warm to the touch which sketches me out. 600w should be totaling fine for one outlet as GHL states “Maximum current in total / per socket: 15A / 15A”, and I’ve seen other threads where people have similar issues with their inkbird controllers.

This got me looking into alternative options, and I found aqualogic which is essentially a Janco temp controller that’s been waterproofed.
IMG_2640.jpeg

People claim it’s extremely reliable so I’m excited to set it and forget it. But I’ve always wondered, do people use their temp controllers as the primary control and the controllable outlets as the secondary or vice versa? My whole time in this hobby I’ve used the outlets as my primary, but wondering what others use?

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more (mostly) new nubs. Tough to go from colonies back to frags but it will hopefully be fun to watch them grow out once more. Or so I keep telling myself.

Will try to get some fish photos soon

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!!! What a journey! Can't believe I have never seen this thread before. First tank was beautiful and the second tank just as sexy.

I never seen a BC Three Oranges...beautiful. Did it make it into the IM tank?

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never seen a BC Three Oranges...beautiful. Did it make it into the IM tank?
It unfortunately RTN’d during the move. Was one of my favorites. I picked up another milli in Florida when I was last there that looks very similar to it so hopefully that one will grow and color up soon.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back