OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phone pics of the plumbing. The middle down-piping with valve is for if/when I decide to add a media reactor. Still need to get the skimmer, and haven't decided if I'm going to go with a refugium or not. If I did it would be small and would be more for pods to hangout in safely and reproduce.

Arlo isn't impressed...

Old Wet side. Luckily I caught it before putting it in the tank. Ecotech was awesome as always and sent out a new wet side under warranty. I feel like this happened because I took it out of a tank a while ago and never rinsed it off in vinegar/freshwater, but maybe I'm wrong and it was like this before I even took it out. Make sure to check your powerheads periodically people!

The system now has water in it, finally! Dosing ammonia and added FritzZyme 9 as well as Microbacter7. Once the system stabilizes I'll add the 4 jordani females to their new forever home :)

Equipment so far:
RSR 525XL
Elite Aquatics custom rollermat sump
Clarisea SK-5000
Reef Octopus Varios 8
ATI Powermodule LED-T5 hybrid 48"
Ecotech MP40 x2
Ecotech MP10 x1
25w Aqua UV Sterilizer
GHL Doser 2.1
GHL Flow Sensor x2
Finnex 300w Heater x2
Inkbird Temperature Controller
~75 lbs Tropic Eden Reef Flakes sand

Still need to buy:
Nyos Quantum 160 protein skimmer
Reef Octopus Octopulse 4 powerhead x2
GHL Profilux4
GHL KH Director
GHL ION Director
GHL Doser 2.1 x2
Kessil H160 Tuna Flora LED Grow Light (maybe)
Small Media Reactor

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daaaannnnggggg it's such a clean setup and I love how the sump is looking!!! :D :D I'm sure Arlo is just unimpressed it has no fish and you're giving it so much attention :p haha

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the ION Director as I'm keen as to get one when they do finally trickle down to the Land Down Under haha

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daaaannnnggggg it's such a clean setup and I love how the sump is looking!!! :D :D I'm sure Arlo is just unimpressed it has no fish and you're giving it so much attention :p haha

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the ION Director as I'm keen as to get one when they do finally trickle down to the Land Down Under haha

It's not here in the states yet either. but just planning ahead!

Yeah Arlo thinks ALL attention should go to him! :rolleyes:

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not here in the states yet either. but just planning ahead!

Yeah Arlo thinks ALL attention should go to him! :rolleyes:
You'll still get it a month or two before us :( haha

Don't I know that feeling! Haha this is the look I get over a lack of attention!
20190520_155424.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arlo needs that PVC pipe... to be thrown away so he can get it for you.
He is gorgeous.

Clean plumbing that is.
And seeing your shopping list, you will need Christmas to come twice this year.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arlo needs that PVC pipe... to be thrown away so he can get it for you.
He is gorgeous.

Clean plumbing that is.
And seeing your shopping list, you will need Christmas to come twice this year.

Thanks Janci! He's great but also a big troublemaker. He's at the age where he's really starting to test out what he can get away with now o_O

Yes the shopping list is daunting for sure. Will have to really pinch some pennies!

Ursala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! I am looking at snagging a P4 myself. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow no update since May... Current FTS to make up for it?

Right after the system got wet there was a big Dino outbreak that I was able to get under control, however it's still somewhat present. I also seeded it with coraline bits taken from my 40 gallon, and I'm now seeing spots of coraline everywhere! success! Other types of algae are still beating it out at the moment, which is fine. The initial cleanup crew I added doesn't seem like it's keeping up so I may double the workers. Other than that I'm just letting things run their course.

In June I added the four flame wrasse, as well as a yellow tang. One of the flames was already dominant over the others in qt, but within a month of being in the display, he began the transition to male. Every week his reds and yellows seem to become more and more vibrant, and he has developed quite the personality. This is the first time I've had a wrasse transition, mainly due to always purchasing males. However, I think I may follow the strategy of OldNemo and mainly buy wrasse in their initial phase. It's very rewarding to see one transition, and the odds are more favorable that an initial phase wrasse is fairly young, meaning it more than likely will live longer than a super male (that's my thinking at least). Plus, initial phase are cheaper. I'm hoping the other three stay as females, but know it's probably only a matter of time before another begins transitioning.

Male: July

Male next to Female for comparison: July

I also added the Lunatus into the RSR from my 40gal. With all of the corals, frag racks and the drop in UV sterilizer, there was hardly any space for him to swim around. Now I'm sure he's much happier! I finally got some decent photos of him as well.

I've added three tester LPS/Zoa corals, along with a tiny rbta and all have been doing well for over a month now. I still need to purchase a skimmer, as well as another powerhead or two before I can feel confident transferring all of the contents from the 40gal to the RSR. With how busy I've been this summer it's been easy to just wait and let the tank mature further. No sense in rushing it if I don't have to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished getting the right cabinet setup and organized somewhat.

Since the apex is only temporary as I plan on purchasing a Profilux in the future, I haven't spent much time and effort organizing the wires on the other side of the wall. This will do for now
:)

Some new additions. Tiny little guys!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back