Keep blue…or go black? Video and opinions needed.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank.

I really think black would look so much nicer. I feel like the colors of the corals will come out. In my opinion the coloration of the corals feels washed out because of the highly saturated blue background.

So why don’t I go black? Because my mom said she thinks it looks so much nicer the way it is now. She said it looks like a reef ocean.

Im honestly torn between the 2. I will attach pictures of tanks which I think looks SO nice.

Does coralline algae even look nice on a blue background? I thought about letting it encrust, but it just looked so dirty and had an ugly shade in my opinion against the blue.

I need as many opinions. Oh, and since I have no access to the back wall, I will have custom black acrylic sheets made (I think I might need to make it in 3 pieces because it won’t fit as a full piece. I will place the acrylic slabs from the inside and they will be removable.

A7FB20A2-F7A2-4A20-8902-C1157E9D8083.jpeg
34BC5B0B-2C3D-4FD3-A0EB-2B0E6EF24623.jpeg
EDFA6029-A7A7-4F43-9918-958921B9F5BD.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO- leave it blue. Your back wall (unless because you're a bit OCD) - will get covered with darker stuff, and Coraline. Additionally - the other tanks you're showing have huge colonies - which will completely cover up the back anyway. Thats a nice tank. Don't change it IMO

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is black. After seeing yours, I wish it was blue. Looks “brighter” and gives a sense of the ocean past the reef like in real life. Leave it. It looks cool. You could add more rock and that would “hide” some of it.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think blue looks better but mine is black to help hide equipment. Either way I hate corraline growing on the back glass. I scrape it frequently.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really glad I got these responses because I don’t think the black would have looked nice with bright blue creases shining behind them. :)

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank.

I really think black would look so much nicer. I feel like the colors of the corals will come out. In my opinion the coloration of the corals feels washed out because of the highly saturated blue background.

So why don’t I go black? Because my mom said she thinks it looks so much nicer the way it is now. She said it looks like a reef ocean.

Im honestly torn between the 2. I will attach pictures of tanks which I think looks SO nice.

Does coralline algae even look nice on a blue background? I thought about letting it encrust, but it just looked so dirty and had an ugly shade in my opinion against the blue.

I need as many opinions. Oh, and since I have no access to the back wall, I will have custom black acrylic sheets made (I think I might need to make it in 3 pieces because it won’t fit as a full piece. I will place the acrylic slabs from the inside and they will be removable.

A7FB20A2-F7A2-4A20-8902-C1157E9D8083.jpeg
34BC5B0B-2C3D-4FD3-A0EB-2B0E6EF24623.jpeg
EDFA6029-A7A7-4F43-9918-958921B9F5BD.jpeg

Home Depot Behr paint ask for wet cement. Gray (Like battleship grey) Makes UV amazing at night and cuts down on fish fighting themselves in the glass reflection. Water based so if you don't like you can scrape off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back