Keep going with just bare rock or add some live rock to my FO?

TraverseCity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a big advantage to having live rock vs bare rock?

For example, would some tiny creatures keep my sixline and other fish entertained because they can search for critters to eat?

I don’t see any other significant advantages to adding live rock to my tank.

I do however see some disadvantages in my inexperienced opinion. It seems there are so many pests that can cause problems, mainly algae.

So a big question is, could I avoid some types of nuisance algae or other growth if I don’t seed my bare rock? Of course I have the rust colored algae growing now and some lime green stuff starting (may be slime or coralline). Or will all the other nuisance algae’s pop up either way on my bare rock?

I have 100gal fish only tank with no special lighting, some wrasses, damsels, and some other and plan to add inverts like CBS, hermits, starfish, urchin, or other interesting easy inverts.
AD4FCAF6-B2C6-4821-BF43-D02EE3C07D81.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on who you ask really. Many people try for as sterile and controlled environments as possible. If you want to add some diversity I recommend checking out gulfliverock.com they have exactly what you're looking for.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock may bring in some pests to your tank. But it can bring in some nice stuff as well. Many start out reef tanks with dead rock and have no problems. Live rock just brings more biodiversity at the start. But, since your tank is already cycled, it should be building up a good bacterial population now.

To get the pods for your wrasses and other fish, you can always add them in yourself.

Your tank is progressing through the stages now...diatoms typically are the tan stuff you are seeing. Bright green is an algae that first shows up.

You can always add a piece or 2 of live rock too see if it helps your tank mature.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the scape and welcome btw!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without live rock your tank will have some ugly stages. The only way you will get coralline is if you introduce it to your tank via snails, frag plug, or something like that. I wouldn't add any live rock if you are not planning on a reef. If you would like to make it a reef later on, check out aquabiomics.com. Order some of there rubble when it comes in stock and dump it in your tank. You can also go to ispf.com and order some things from them. Worms would be nice. Your wrasses will help keep them in check. Either company will help build the bio diversity up in your tank that will make it easier to maintain.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will never keep all the pests out if you plan on introducing corals. Pests come in on the frags and multiply because they have no competition. Live rock will bring i some undesirables, but it will also bring in some very cool organisms, including beneficial bacteria that you won't get in a bottle. Eliminating pests is just part of the hobby. Also, algae will be a part of your life regardless.

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will never keep all the pests out if you plan on introducing corals. Pests come in on the frags and multiply because they have no competition. Live rock will bring i some undesirables, but it will also bring in some very cool organisms, including beneficial bacteria that you won't get in a bottle. Eliminating pests is just part of the hobby. Also, algae will be a part of your life regardless.
I agree I have tried both ways and prefer the benefits of live rock vs ugly stages of sterile tank maturing!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of what type of rock you use (Live/dry/DIY) it will all end up as "live" rock, it will just take a bit longer with dry or DIY. I've never bought liverock although I do change rocks from tank to tank to help spread the biodiversity. Hitchhikers come in regardless. They are just part of the fun.

OP
OP
T

TraverseCity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies and the advice!

To clarify one of my original questions- if you don’t bring actual LR or corals in, just inverts without shells such as shrimp and starfish, will you avoid any of the pest algae types, or will they somehow appear anyway through fish waste seeding them or something? So far I haven’t added anything that should introduce pest algae besides a small snail shell with heavy coralline. But maybe the pest algae types get in somehow anyway?

I’m not understanding any big concrete benefits- I know bringing in some actual LR would increase the diversity, but my understanding of how that will really make life easier is vague. The tank does fine as is, so if the real LR won’t give the fish some great feeding opportunities or some other concrete benefit, and keeping the LR away would help keep pest algae away, then it seems like it’s not worth it.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is like taxes. They come no matter what. Adding live rock way cut down on it but keeping good parameters and nutrient export are the biggest helpers.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Traverse City btw. My parents live in Thompsonville about a mile from Crystal mountain

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the various comments here:

1) Algae is inescapable ... you can manage it, but not avoid it altogether ... so don't let this be the reason you don't buy live rock

2) The benefits of live rock are that it will increase your biodiversity and accelerate the rate at which your tank matures (and thus, stabilizes)

3) Yes, you can seed some of these critters yourself (like Pods from places such as AlgaeBarn) ... but the live rock will bring more than just Pods.

I recently dealt with the same dilemma on my tank. For my 130 gal DT I ended up purchasing 120 pounds of dry rock, and then 20 pounds of live rock along with 3 jars of Pods to jump start biodiversity. Not sure if this was really necessary, but it seemed right at the time.

With a FOWLR you have more flexibility.

Bottom line - with where you are in your cycle now, I don't think there is a "wrong" answer at this point ... you will make out just fine either way.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One final thought ... coralline algae ... you are very unlikely to get far growing coralline without a decent starting stock to get it going. Yes, it is possible for a single snail shell to seed your tank ... but be prepared to wait a year.

In my view this is the biggest downside from dry rock ... it just takes way too long to see everything covered with a healthy growth of coralline (and no - the fake purple-painted stuff doesn't do it for me).

On the other hand, a decent chunk of live rock added to a bunch of dry rock will definitely go a long way to getting your tank covered in coralline within 6 months.

Shouldn't be the deciding factor, but thought it was worth mentioning.

OP
OP
T

TraverseCity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, you guys are awesome!

Jekyl, I know exactly where you’re talking about. I do quite a bit of activities nearby there including the daily grind by Crystal Lake. Your parents live in a nice part of the country!

I think I’ll probably add some live rock then if there isn’t a big downside and if pest algae will get in anyway. Maybe some pods as well. Is there anything specific I can do to help create edible creatures for the wrasses to hunt besides introduce pods?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back