Keep Maxspect Gyre XF230's or change to EcoTech MP10wQD?

Keep the Maxspect Gyre XF230's or go with EcoTech MP10wQD'S

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that measures 36" wide x 12" depth x 16" height. I have a 2" sand bed for gobies. For flow I have a pair of Maxspect Gyre XF230's on it currently. The gyre's are way too much flow on any mode other than 20% alternating gyre mode. I've been thinking about going to 2, 3 or even 4 EcoTech MP10wQD. What do you guys think? I really just want more varied flow than I can get with the gyre's. Not to say that they are bad. If my tank was larger and I could vary the flow pattern more I'd really rather have the gyres.

Stick with the gyre's or go to the MP10wQD's?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ignitros this is a toughy. I've run all you listed.

I really like all of them. I have started to notice after a years use that one of my 230's is getting on my nerves a bit in L.T.C. mode and slightly hear one of them ramping up and then decreasing but not the other. It's not terrible but I do hear it.

I might take it apart and do a good vinegar soak to see if it cleans it up a bit. Argh.

Let us know what you decide to do, please.

OP
OP
Ignitros

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ignitros this is a toughy. I've run all you listed.

I really like all of them. I have started to notice after a years use that one of my 230's is getting on my nerves a bit in L.T.C. mode and slightly hear one of them ramping up and then decreasing but not the other

Let us know what you decide to do, please.

I would love to use the preset 24 hour modes but the minimum flow is 40% on those modes. My tank would look like a snow globe at 40% unfortunately. That my main issue. I'll just use them on the larger tank that I'm planning if I opt to switch. I just wish the gyre 1k was able to link up and use two like the XF series.

OP
OP
Ignitros

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Have you considered using only one XF instead of two? Keep one to swap out to make maintenance easier and quicker? That is what I currently do with my 250's. With a single unit you can increase the flow or swap paddles so they push water forward and reverse and run the OGC pattern.

New tanks struggle with multiple gyres I think because there isn't anything really there to break up the flow. As corals mature over time you will need to revisit the settings and make some changes. LTC seems to work well with pairs of gyres, OGC with a single unit and Forward/Reverse paddles, short pulse works well with 2 units to help break up the center. Other than that you can mount the gyres differently vertical / horizontal and again change flow.

Anyway something to think about if you haven't already.

OP
OP
Ignitros

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saf1 ... Yeah. I already tried changing locations and positions. Unfortunately any setting above 20% on even a single unit blows sand everywhere. It literally looks like a sand storm.

U

User1

View Badges
@saf1 ... Yeah. I already tried changing locations and positions. Unfortunately any setting above 20% on even a single unit blows sand everywhere. It literally looks like a sand storm.

Ok. Sounds like you tried everything, bummer. I know they can be a bit much. Like I noted I had a similar issue after a new tank migration. In fact I still do so am only running a single unit now for a similar reason. I may even take out the remaining one if I add a 2nd return pump. This way I can move my Sea Swirls and have each powered by a dedicated pump for redundancy and maybe try the random flow generator nozzles. Since my tank is only 54" wide but 30" tall and 30" deep I may end up with better coverage.

Flow is a tough nut to crack for sure. Apologies I don't have more :(

OP
OP
Ignitros

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all good. I think I'll keep the gyres for now and maybe get the syna-g controller to maybe try building a fully custom schedule staying under 20% flow. It's only another $40 to try it out and worst case scenario I can always spend more money and get the MP10wQD'S and a reeflink.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back