Keep THESE TWO THINGS out of your tank for a better reef? True or False?

How often are your hands in the tank?

• Every Day

Votes: 171 22.9%
  • Few Days A Week

Votes: 266 35.6%
  • Once A Week

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Every Few Weeks

Votes: 77 10.3%
  • Monthly Or Longer

Votes: 38 5.1%
  • Literally Never

Votes: 12 1.6%

• Total voters

Taipan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the solution? Wear gloves? Schedule tank time before zinc cream?
Let my son suffer a skin condition and have a thriving tank.
Nar Jokes.
I will more than likely wear gloves or will wash my hands way more than I currently am. I used tongs for most of my tank work, but some stuff needs my hands.

Either or, It was an invisible time bomb waiting to happen that is normally something I'd not test for.

ICP All the way kids. Every 3 months minimum.

ABRADOLOVIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we've heard it said that we should keep our hands out of our reef tank as much as possible. To me it's always been a tongue in cheek type of thing but lately, more than ever, I'm finding out that this may be better advice than what I once previously thought! About a year ago I kinda lost my passion for my reef tank. I was doing the bare minimal tasks to keep the coral and fish healthy and quit buying anything new. Equipment would stop working correctly and instead of replacing it I just started reefing more "old school." Also during this time I quit putting my hands in the tank and since then my tank has really started to blossom from what it was. I quit worrying about the occasional aiptasia and algae patch and for the most part the issues corrected themselves or stayed at bay. Has the success of my tank as of late been in part or mostly because I've kept my hands out of the tank? Might just be a fluke but let's talk about it!

1. Are you a believer that keeping your hands out of your aquarium is a good practice?

2. How often are your hands in the tank?

image via @Nash
24f14428f78b5c9d3e6feaea48c5fe65.jpg
No, I see nothing wrong with having to put your hands in the tank. I would have never got in the aquarium hobby, if I didn't like getting hands on and wet. I make sure hands are clean and no lotions. I run activated carbon, hopefully that helps. 30+ years in the hobby, hands in and out of the tanks, probably a couple times a week (only when needed)...so far so good.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I try very hard to make a mental list of what needs to be done inside the tank and only put my hand in once a week. Even then, I scrub down my hand and arm ER style, before the plunge. I keep a spray bottle with 50/50 water and vinegar under the tank with a big towel. I spray with that and only use the towel that is washed along with my filter socks in fresh no soap water in the washing machine. I’ve seen what can happen when lotion/antibacterial soap/chemicals/paint residue get into a reef system and it is not good.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let my son suffer a skin condition and have a thriving tank.
Nar Jokes.
I will more than likely wear gloves or will wash my hands way more than I currently am. I used tongs for most of my tank work, but some stuff needs my hands.

Either or, It was an invisible time bomb waiting to happen that is normally something I'd not test for.

ICP All the way kids. Every 3 months minimum.
Hahaha.

If it makes you feel better, my tank is deficient in zinc. Maybe hand me some of that cream! :p

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Are you a believer that keeping your hands out of your aquarium is a good practice?
Yes. Seems that anything one can do to avoid accidental contamination of the tank is good. Given the amount of issues I've been having lately; I think that even more.

Just like I believe junk food is bad for me, but I eat it anyway... my hands are in the tank way more than I feel they should be. I do have over the shoulder gloves, feeder tubes, sand stirrers and long tweezers to help minimize my direct skin exposure in the tank as much as possible. That said, I do not do a good job always using them.

When the tank is doing great, my hands are in there way less... when it is crashing or their are other emergency type issues... precautions kind of go out the door.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I do because I work with various chemicals during day

Rarely if ever and if I do, i use aquarium tongs, grabbers and gloves as shown below

gloves.jpg
gloves.jpg

Last edited:

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes
2. A few times per week.

If it something quick and I can reach in up to my wrist, I'll just go barehanded. Beyond that, I use veterinarian OBGYN gloves [LINK]. I use a thin cotton glove first, then the OBGYN glove with a Nitrile surgical over that to prevent punctures. The cotton glove makes it easier to get the OB glove off. I can get in/out of this in about 30 seconds now.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically my gloves are in the tank, not my hands.

My hands are never in the tank, my gloves are in there every other day.

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. NO, with the caveat that you only clean your hands with non-toxic soap and wrinse them off ALL THE WAY.
I only use unscented Dr. Bronner's soap. There's nothing in there that could hurt aquatic life except for the soap itself.

2. Almost every day

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we've heard it said that we should keep our hands out of our reef tank as much as possible. To me it's always been a tongue in cheek type of thing but lately, more than ever, I'm finding out that this may be better advice than what I once previously thought! About a year ago I kinda lost my passion for my reef tank. I was doing the bare minimal tasks to keep the coral and fish healthy and quit buying anything new. Equipment would stop working correctly and instead of replacing it I just started reefing more "old school." Also during this time I quit putting my hands in the tank and since then my tank has really started to blossom from what it was. I quit worrying about the occasional aiptasia and algae patch and for the most part the issues corrected themselves or stayed at bay. Has the success of my tank as of late been in part or mostly because I've kept my hands out of the tank? Might just be a fluke but let's talk about it!

image via @Nash
Hey bro,

Sorry, but it sounds like you changed you methods in so many different ways that there's no way to attribute the improvements to any one thing. It does raise several interesting questions, though, hands in or out of tank being one of them.

lonelyfloat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image via @Nash
1. Yes.
2. My hands are currently in my tank about once to twice a day because bristleworms keep irritating the underside of my clam and I have to turn over the clam and brush the bristleworms off of it.

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use veterinarian OBGYN gloves [LINK]. I use a thin cotton glove first, then the OBGYN glove with a Nitrile surgical over that to prevent punctures.

I knew these had to be available somewhere. I'll be giving this a try.

My limited Google-foo to date would always pull up the more common elbow length rubber gloves. They are fine, exept when I need a little extra dexterity and/or have to reach all the way down to the sandbed with my hands. that is pretty much shoulder level and the rubber gloves I have only go a little ways past the elbow.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hand is in the tank daily, usually multiple times, for one reason or another.
...and I don't ever wear gloves,,, just rinse well first with tap water.

After reading through this, now I'm scared -- maybe I should be more careful (for the tank's sake, I mean)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back