Keep THESE TWO THINGS out of your tank for a better reef? True or False?

How often are your hands in the tank?

• Every Day

Votes: 171 22.9%
  • Few Days A Week

Votes: 266 35.6%
  • Once A Week

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Every Few Weeks

Votes: 77 10.3%
  • Monthly Or Longer

Votes: 38 5.1%
  • Literally Never

Votes: 12 1.6%

• Total voters

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have taken the ? (too) literally....
Literally never was my answer... but, I was thinking... bare hands. Big no! no! So, I have some industrial/ fisherman/vet gloves... that are reusable, safe plastic, etc. I love them! They go up to my shoulder, and will keep your sleeve from getting wet! So, good!
I learned early. Being female (maybe, true for everyone) and healthcare... I wash my hands and put on lotion, constantly. Soap residue, cleaning sprays (bleach, alcohol, vinegar, windex) or perfume lotion and a reef tank don’t mix. With my gloves! .... Everyday, to every other day, is how I often I touch “inside” my reef tank. I stir my sand, a little section at a time and “dust off” the rock and corals/ same idea as what people use the turkey baster thing for. Point is... I always use gloves, even when I think my hands are clean.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 3-4 weeks on average but have gone 6-8 weeks. But I never put my hands in the tank without my first putting on my yellow up to the shoulder gloves. One - don't want to contaminate the tank and Two - don't want the tank to contaminate me.

I do put my acrylic sand bed stirring rod almost daily and I have my Tunze grabbers for snail saving.

This right here. I can't remember the last time I had my bare hands in the tank. I pretty much always wear gloves to protect myself and the tank.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, which gloves to people recommend, for those that use them?
I use Atlas 26 inch long gloves, small or medium (bright yellow ones) ... off Amazon for about $15. I’m short, so they go all the way up, to my shoulder/under arm. They keep my shirt/sleeve dry. Only complaint... they have a hole up top/probably, to hang to dry. I fill the little whole with my glue gun, so it doesn’t leak into the glove. If your aren’t a super short (5’3 girl/person,) it may not be an issue. When I go in my tank... between the stand and depth of the tank, I need a step stool and have to stick my whole arm in (to touch the substrate.) Short people problems. Lol
I love these gloves... they are small fitting. I’m sure they come in larger sizes, too. :)

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank here so trying to batch things I need to do. Tank is 25 deep and I'm short, so I can't even reach the bottom lol's. I rake the sand bed 2-3 times a week with a long handled tool, same with cleaning the glass and back. Have tunze long for the 3 sides, and the long handle tool with foam attachment for the back wall (1 time per week for that). Right now have 2 corals to move. Putting it off as 1 will be difficult to get too and place.

I use gloves if handling the palys and don't use lotions on my hands often in case I need to go into the water.
I just saw this, I put (previously) on here a response regarding, being a short person. I totally understand, I’ve fallen into my tank twice, now.lol
Live and learn, I guess...
anyway,
I love my gloves.... Atlas / medium/ yellow 26 inch long gloves/approximately, $15 on Amazon. WALMART sells them, too. But, they cost too much/IMO. Like I said, (previously) ... fill in, little hole, at top, with a glue gun/so, it doesn’t leak and fill with water. Then, they work perfectly. It doesn’t wet your shirt, or sleeve. Hope it helps! :)

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Atlas 26 inch long gloves, small or medium (bright yellow ones) ... off Amazon for about $15. I’m short, so they go all the way up, to my shoulder/under arm. They keep my shirt/sleeve dry. Only complaint... they have a hole up top/probably, to hang to dry. I fill the little whole with my glue gun, so it doesn’t leak into the glove. If your aren’t a super short (5’3 girl/person,) it may not be an issue. When I go in my tank... between the stand and depth of the tank, I need a step stool and have to stick my whole arm in (to touch the substrate.) Short people problems. Lol
I love these gloves... they are small fitting. I’m sure they come in larger sizes, too. :)
Geez... full on chemical warfare gloves! Just kidding. Thanks for the tip.

nicksreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very rarely but for other reason than i dont seem to need to! what are you all doing in there :p

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this, I put (previously) on here a response regarding, being a short person. I totally understand, I’ve fallen into my tank twice, now.lol
Live and learn, I guess...
anyway,
I love my gloves.... Atlas / medium/ yellow 26 inch long gloves/approximately, $15 on Amazon. WALMART sells them, too. But, they cost too much/IMO. Like I said, (previously) ... fill in, little hole, at top, with a glue gun/so, it doesn’t leak and fill with water. Then, they work perfectly. It doesn’t wet your shirt, or sleeve. Hope it helps! :)
I'll look for those! You have 3" on me lol's. My tank and stand are 60" so I need the taller step stool and yeah, need to not fall in lol's.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look for those! You have 3" on me lol's. My tank and stand are 60" so I need the taller step stool and yeah, need to not fall in lol's.
I didn’t think anyone (other than toddlers) were shorter than me! jk ... I get the short jokes all the time, and my son is 6’3. I don’t know how that’s (scientifically) possible. But, he’s the anomaly. Not me! Lol
I still can’t reach behind/over the rock... if anything falls midway, backside of the tank... if tongs can’t get it, it will have to stay there! As far as the gloves... I love them... if you don’t “need” them for being short, it’s overkill. They just don’t understand... lol
I love my reef tank, but I don’t want to go to scuba diving in it, or smell like it. For $15, they hold up pretty well. I reuse them, daily. I spray them down with vinegar/ ro water and let air dry ... every couple of weeks. I forgot to say... the gloves have an elastic cuff at the top of the glove that does great, keeping water out. The others I’ve seen, don’t have that feature. Also, they fit... they aren’t so oversized that I can’t use my hands/feel my fingers. Things that require fine motor skills... ex: picking up or placing a coral frag, glueing something down, putting on a nori clip, etc. Definitely, made daily maintenance, easier. Happy reefing! :eek:)

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t think anyone (other than toddlers) were shorter than me! jk ... I get the short jokes all the time, and my son is 6’3. I don’t know how that’s (scientifically) possible. But, he’s the anomaly. Not me! Lol
I still can’t reach behind/over the rock... if anything falls midway, backside of the tank... if tongs can’t get it, it will have to stay there! As far as the gloves... I love them... if you don’t “need” them for being short, it’s overkill. They just don’t understand... lol
I love my reef tank, but I don’t want to go to scuba diving in it, or smell like it. For $15, they hold up pretty well. I reuse them, daily. I spray them down with vinegar/ ro water and let air dry ... every couple of weeks. I forgot to say... the gloves have an elastic cuff at the top of the glove that does great, keeping water out. The others I’ve seen, don’t have that feature. Also, they fit... they aren’t so oversized that I can’t use my hands/feel my fingers. Things that require fine motor skills... ex: picking up or placing a coral frag, glueing something down, putting on a nori clip, etc. Definitely, made daily maintenance, easier. Happy reefing! :eek:)
So they are good for picking up corals or gluing or not? I don't mind getting wet. I've lost one coral that fell behind my center rock. I have another I need to move and reglue. Not looking forward to trying to do that one as it is a paly down low lol's. I have all sorts of tongs! And cleaners for the back wall...

casey012293

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I rarely have my bare hands in the tank EVER. We have disposable veterinary (cow insemination) gloves that allow us to go nearly shoulder deep with no skin contact. I highly recommend.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter feeds the fish frozen by hand most days. My cleaner shrimp will eat out of her hand regularly. And shockingly enough my yellow tang will let her “pet” his side lightly on occasion. I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it with my own eyes. She told me once that the tang would let her pet it. And I figured she touch it while feeding in accident and counted that as a pet. But I kid you not when she is feeding him he will present his side and hold still for about 20seconds let her softly touch his side. The tang takes a few bites then swims off. It’s the craziest thing. Never with me only my daughter

This is as close as I ever got to getting a picture of it. This is right after she feed him.

7CDD2EC1-FEE0-4227-92AC-73D82B81A25E.jpeg
Very cool.. I have been nervous to let my kids put hands in the tank, I guess I need to relax a bit. My girls usually help me feed with the turkey baster. If they could pet the fish they might get a little more interested in daily feeding.

I do not like going in the tank, and sometimes get my wife to do it. We are both very horrible at washing up before diving in.

I recently added a carbon reactor, and my BTA seems really pleased. I wonder if it is because of all the chemicals we put in with our hands.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew these had to be available somewhere. I'll be giving this a try.

My limited Google-foo to date would always pull up the more common elbow length rubber gloves. They are fine, exept when I need a little extra dexterity and/or have to reach all the way down to the sandbed with my hands. that is pretty much shoulder level and the rubber gloves I have only go a little ways past the elbow.
Cattle birthing gloves also, super cheap at local Tractor supply. Benefits of having horses too I guess lol.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have those yellow industrial chemical gloves to my shoulder too. Unfortunately, I am even shorter and trying to get into my tank I have to get some of my upper torso involved. I guess I need a hazmat suit. :) I love them for doing rocks and such though. Not anything fine motor type though, too clumsy.
I have the disposable long sleeves also, but they rip so easily. Only good for quick in and out stuff.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a "gentleman's farm" and have oil, gas, herbicide, goat poop and who knows what else on my hands on any given day.

So I have a collection of long forceps, clamps, pokers, and surgical gloves to try to keep and and all of the aforementioned from becoming an oil slick.

MUTiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Every few days.

2. I have contemplated this question. As a physician and surgeon I am washing my hands all day long and using hand sanitizer ad nauseam . This practice has increased even more so with COVID-19. My hands are “clean”, but chemical riddled. I’m sure this is not good for my reef.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will change, but put them in every day when feeding. Have to submerse the dry food, and grind up my seaweed so it will sink. I wash my hands very well, and rinse, and dry them well. No detrimental effects after years

Mystery Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my hands all up in the tank. Cleaning, feeding and adjusting equipment. I don’t think putting my hands physically in the tank is a problem. I think the adage is meant to direct you toward making subtle changes over time to get to your goal, especially when adding livestock. The biome and chemistry of our tanks can be fragile.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand the topic to be.. You mean "Leave it alone" as much as possible.. not necessarily "Keep your hand out".. In that respect, I voted once a week. I do my water changes once per week and generally have no other contact with the tanks beyond feeding or replacing a knocked off frag.

Back