Keeping aquarium resolutions: How do you plan to stay on track?

How do you plan to keep your New Year's aquarium resolutions?

• Make a list

Votes: 36 17.4%
  • Stay consistent

Votes: 103 49.8%
  • Be accountable

Votes: 45 21.7%
  • Set a goal with a reward

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • There is little chance of staying on track

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Not going to happen, I don’t do resolutions

Votes: 55 26.6%

• Total voters

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has replied to my Ghost Busters "Get em" plan. I have worked many years as a public employee and sadly that plan is the first one we pull off the shelf as a society, but anyway:

Your list of answers seems helpful:
The Question was

HOW DO YOU PLAN TO KEEP YOUR NEW YEAR'S AQUARIUM RESOLUTIONS?​

• Make a list​

I think lists are important but without a time for completion, and a priority for an orderly completion of the dream list that folks hope to employ can quickly overwhelm a normal, busy person when they see the amount of work they have cut out for themselves in the next year. Never-the-less, a plan that itemizes a list of simple step by step efforts can help keep a person on track if they are ok with not getting to the last step before they move onto the next task. Confusion and complications may quickly destroy a list of plans that lacks realistic goals and detailed steps to get there.
  • Stay consistent​

• This "consistency" isn't the magic bullet for most folk who already live in a pattern of reef keeping that is presumably different than the one they want to move into, hence the "resolution."

• Be accountable​

Same basic issue as "Staying Consistent." Also, if you don't want to be "accountable*" for your reef then not keeping tabs on expenses, time, money, and that sort of thing is how you want to operate normally.
  • Set a goal with a reward​

Most people consistently do this, but not according to the original plan and being accountable. Example: Goal 1 is to get the cycle finished and the tank stable for delicate live stock. Execution: New Reefer sets up a dry rock tank and add's a bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only. The next day the reefer goes to a LFS and finds a perfect pair of cuddly Star Spangled HalfBreed Clownfishes which they purchase along with the Elegance coral that the fishes were "Hosting." One week later they open a dialogue on the best website on the internet, (Reef2Reef- you may have heard of it) and after they read the responses to their questions they go back to the LFS and buy an API test kit. We don't have problems with goal and reward execution, it's the planning where the reefer needs assistance, ime.
  • There is little chance of staying on track​

As a reminder, the original question was, " How do you plan to keep your New Years Resolutions?" I voted "For" this option since I think most people don't have a plan, and I certainly don't have one either at this point. Maybe I'll make one. I'm gonna consider it, thank you.
  • And on staying on track, I believe you can't stay on track unless you have a track plan. I've never seen a RailRoad that didn't have any track for a train to ride on. Staying consistent, being accountable, and goal setting are the backward steps for making a plan. The First step is Goals and Objectives, then being consistent and accountable
  • Not going to happen, I don’t do resolutions​

Not much to say about this except that some people are very successful executing life without a plan. It works fine but the destination is uncertain since there isn't any track to ride on.
*Accountable and accountablility seems to have lost all meaning for society lately. I think that was planned to take us on a ride upon the RailRoad that we are moving down as a society. That's another thread.

I have a simple plan to quit smoking that I have used many times to stop. Don't buy anymore. Happy New Year folks!
Actually I smiled at your Ghostbuster's reference. Sorry I didn't comment.

I voted that I don't do resolutions but my tank is 6 years old and in a happy state of maturity. This was my 4th tank and meant to be my last. I don't have anything that needs done or bought for it at this point so what would I write on the list.

I serviced tank accounts for a lfs for 5-6 years. I set this tank up with the KISS principle. That way it's not overly rigorous to stay consistent. Lastly I am consistent because I know that is the foundation to tank longevity.

For accountability, I located my tank right inside my front door between my living room and dining room. If it looks bad there is no escaping it. My boss at the lfs taught me this and it works.

Being my 4th reef tank, and learning from the prior 3 what size and dimensions suit me, what animals I like to keep, how much maintenance I want and can do (I am in my 6th decade so this is now a consideration, LOL) and the maturity this tank has reached, that is all the goal and reward I need.

I used to get restless when my prior tanks were running well and becoming mature. Giving my own state of maturity, that is not so much a problem for me now. I can be content to just enjoy the fruits of my labor. It's a good place and I highly recommend it to all reef keepers.
IMG_20221230_152837288.jpg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I smiled at your Ghostbuster's reference. Sorry I didn't comment.

I voted that I don't do resolutions but my tank is 6 years old and in a happy state of maturity. This was my 4th tank and meant to be my last. I don't have anything that needs done or bought for it at this point so what would I write on the list.

I serviced tank accounts for a lfs for 5-6 years. I set this tank up with the KISS principle. That way it's not overly rigorous to stay consistent. Lastly I am consistent because I know that is the foundation to tank longevity.

For accountability, I located my tank right inside my front door between my living room and dining room. If it looks bad there is no escaping it. My boss at the lfs taught me this and it works.

Being my 4th reef tank, and learning from the prior 3 what size and dimensions suit me, what animals I like to keep, how much maintenance I want and can do (I am in my 6th decade so this is now a consideration, LOL) and the maturity this tank has reached, that is all the goal and reward I need.

I used to get restless when my prior tanks were running well and becoming mature. Giving my own state of maturity, that is not so much a problem for me now. I can be content to just enjoy the fruits of my labor. It's a good place and I highly recommend it to all reef keepers.
IMG_20221230_152837288.jpg
Thank you. I suspect that only us mature folk on here saw the original Ghost Busters when it first came out. It probably didn't have the same impact upon them as it did for us back then. :)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I suspect that only us mature folk on here saw the original Ghost Busters when it first came out. It probably didn't have the same impact upon them as it did for us back then. :)
So true but I still laugh when one of them (can't remember which one) could help himself from thinking about the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man!

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to simply perform water changes more regularly. I don't want to muck with the tank too much lately since it's finally maturing

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1: start a journal to keep track of when I things since I do it manually
2: Keep up with cleaning and add some more CUC , especially sand sifters like cukes
3: keep taking daily photos for a photographic record
4: keep an SPS other than Stylo or Poci alive
5: I voted make a list, well several actually. I’ve already made a list of corals that were in the tank last fall and it’s time to amend it. Also, keep consistent with daily tasks as already mentioned and third I’m going to treat myself to either a centerpiece fish or coral , maybe both.
I've been keeping extensive notes in my Apex Fusion since I started my reef 6 months ago. Apex hardware malfunction>new Apex>All notes LOST! Technology is great, until it's NOT!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back