Keeping bristle worms in DT - Yea or Nay?

Killingtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was only a matter of time before having to face this hitchhiker. I got him with a coral frag. After a good dip, he jumped out. I have him held hostage in his own container until I make up my mind about his future. That's where I need your help. After reading several conflicting views on the value of this guy I'm no closer to a decision.

What's your thoughts? Would you purposely put/keep a bristle worm in your display tank?

MrKlumZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Negative, unless i do not have a choice (hitchhiked). Why deal with the possibility of this and that. When you can have a guaranteed non issue without it. Plenty of goodies out there to have instead.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bristle worms are your best friend and one of the very best at cleaning up detritus. This whole notion that they are bad and should be avoided at all costs, is utterly ridiculous. Also, I hate to break the news to everyone, but you'll have bristle worms in your tank regardless of all the steps you take to prevent them from entering.
When dipping corals, you can certainly discard the ones that didn't make it through the dipping process, as you're trying to get rid of actual pests (and not bristle worms). But to view bristle worms as pests, is completely irrational. I get that they can cause problems if touched and for some, they can have a severe reaction to the bristles. So for those that have to work in the tank, wear gloves (as you should). Bristle worms are not the enemy of a reef tank, but one of the best helpers. Don't be a bristle hater, be a bristle lover!
Cheers!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms are your best friend and one of the very best at cleaning up detritus. This whole notion that they are bad and should be avoided at all costs, is utterly ridiculous. Also, I hate to break the news to everyone, but you'll have bristle worms in your tank regardless of all the steps you take to prevent them from entering.
When dipping corals, you can certainly discard the ones that didn't make it through the dipping process, as you're trying to get rid of actual pests (and not bristle worms). But to view bristle worms as pests, is completely irrational. I get that they can cause problems if touched and for some, they can have a severe reaction to the bristles. So for those that have to work in the tank, wear gloves (as you should). Bristle worms are not the enemy of a reef tank, but one of the best helpers. Don't be a bristle hater, be a bristle lover!
Cheers!
This +1000

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of bristle worms in my tank and they have never caused any kind of problem. I have recently seen businesses selling them so I figure I'm sitting on a goldmine. Now if my wrasse would just stop eating my profits away.

Dastardly things. Just waiting for you to put your hand in the tank to strike. One grabbed my cat but I saved him.
I keep a club by the tank just in case.
If it gets to where your bristleworms have an insatiable desire to eat a cat I have one I could sacrifice to keep yours safe. Just let me know I'm pretty close to you. LOL.

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I try to keep them out . My logic is I don't want anything in my tank that I didn't put there. But on the flip side I know they will eventually make it in. Not much help sorry

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had more. Good detritivores, interesting in their own right and part of the wonderful diversity of the reef. If you feel you have too many at some time in the future, just trap some or feed less.

OP
OP
Killingtime

Killingtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOL! I know, I know. But hear me out.

I've been lurking on these forums for a long time before I signed up. After all the reading I've done, the one constant I've come to find is that everyone makes mistakes. But with our hobby, the mistakes, albeit most of the time costly, add to challenge and enjoyment of it. I'm not talking about losing livestock because that can be outright heartbreaking. But the perplexity of trying to keep a bit of the ocean in my living room is what has drawn me in.

So, with all that being said. I know that even if I end up regretting putting a possible pest in my tank on purpose...I'll learn from it and hopefully not have to come back here and tell my tale of having to wrestle a Godzilla-sized bristle worm out of my tank.

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are great. The only issue is so does my Dusky Wrasse.. I'm sure I still have some but when ever the wrasse sees them they get tossed up into the water and devoured in no time.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great free CuC. I added an arrow crab to keep the numbers in check.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know they are beneficial for the aquarium but hated getting stung when thinning chaeto or other tank maintenance. Got a Melanurus wrasse and they were gone! Don’t regret the decision.

OP
OP
Killingtime

Killingtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know they are beneficial for the aquarium but hated getting stung when thinning chaeto or other tank maintenance. Got a Melanurus wrasse and they were gone! Don’t regret the decision.
Yep, I've already gotten my first sting. I picked up a rock and laid my finger right across him. After picking out about a hundred bristles with tweezers, no ill effects, no irritation or anything. Maybe I got lucky and just barely got hit but I'll be sure to be more careful in the future.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back