Keeping Chaeto Alive prior to setting up tank

Soilworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So AlgaeBarn finally has Chaeto and Sea Lettuce back in stock and I want to get some for my tank. My tank won't be here for another few weeks however.

Can I keep the chaeto\sea lettuce alive in a bucket? I have a refugium light I can use. My live rock\sand gets here on Tuesday. I was thinking of adding some to the bucket and maybe dosing nitrates\phosphates? Is this possible? What should I dose?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So AlgaeBarn finally has Chaeto and Sea Lettuce back in stock and I want to get some for my tank. My tank won't be here for another few weeks however.

Can I keep the chaeto\sea lettuce alive in a bucket? I have a refugium light I can use. My live rock\sand gets here on Tuesday. I was thinking of adding some to the bucket and maybe dosing nitrates\phosphates? Is this possible? What should I dose?
It'll be fine in a bucket of salt water. Just change half the water each week and give it a good swish around.
Daylight inside will be fine, no need for extra light.

Just use tank water when you do a water change to refresh the bucket.

It's pretty much a weed.

I kept it like that for months.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially, most tank startups do not have enough nutrients to grow Chaeto. Because you are trying to grow nitrification bacteria, the Chaeto will compete for nutrients.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hi there! I would recommend to wait until you have your tank up and running and cycled. This allows you to have nutrients for it in your system and well as not giving you extra to worry about outside of your aquarium. :) We update our website every Friday with more availability - If you want to DM us your email we can also subscribe you to the chaeto and sea lettuce notifications.

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with waiting a couple months. Focus on your tank's cycle and getting the tank stable for your first fish or inverts. What's the rush?

Skipbacon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a large clump in a window with an air stone for three months with no issues.

wcroft987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with waiting like stated above, but, to help with part of your issue, would it be worth calling algae barn and asking if you could pay for an amount of algae now and hold on shipping? Never hurts to ask.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'd just wait. You can get a bucket, a heater, a light, and a cheap pump and put fish food in there but ehhhh it is more work that I'd like to do given that it will be available again.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back