Keeping Chaeto Alive - Supplementation?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nutrition' started by dmw913, Sep 25, 2017.

1. mcarroll

mcarroll moved on R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Mmmm.....salty!

(I did not know that!)

sfin52 and saltyfilmfolks like this.

2. SteadyC

SteadyC Active Member

Bunnee911 and dmw913 like this.
  3. SteadyC

SteadyC Active Member

Some testing by bulkreefsupply shows that chaeto can be effective at reducing nutrients.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...fugium-light-testing-taken-to-the-next-level/

4. silvernblackr35

silvernblackr35 Active Member

My thought is if it takes more effort such as dosing nitrates or feeding extra than just good lighting and flow to keep chaeto alive then you probably are doing something right with your husbandry practices and nutrient removal, well done. You might want to skip chaeto altogether. I've never had problems growing it but once it does reach a certain size it needs to be thinned out or it becomes a thick mat and will start to die at the core and basically just grows itself to death or becomes a detritus trap, giving it a good amount of flow seems to help it from balling up as much.

I could see dosing to keep an algae where you can use as a food source for your fish like graciliaria or ulva, but dosing nutrients to grow an algae thats purpose is to soak up those nutrients seems counterproductive.

5. Forsaken77

Forsaken77 Valuable Member

I read that Manganese helps Chaeto. Maybe your reactor is too big for your setup?

Also when you use an algae reactor you should try to slowly pull out other nutrient reducers, like gfo. You end up starving the algae.

6. scott the coral assassin

scott the coral assassin Member Build Thread Contributor

Just wanted to let everyone know this is great information thanks, I have been Growing macros in my sump recently. I have had hair algae growing in my display and tried many fixes but the only thing that seems to work for me is the macros. No more hair algae in the display. The question I have is do you guys leave the fuge lights on 24/7 or put on a timer?

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  7. scott the coral assassin

scott the coral assassin Member Build Thread Contributor

Also I have no problem with low nutrient levels because I have a heavy bio load.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  8. Scott.h

Scott.h Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Add daily a small amount of N and P to keep those detectable. Keep the algae harvested to a small amount if needed. That's what I do in my (would be) undetectable nutrient system. 1/.010 keeps everything going fine. The algae give off carbohydrates that are beneficial to the corals, although not necessarily needed.

9. 7hogwarts

7hogwarts Active Member R2R Supporter

I use to have a difficult time getting Chaeto to grow. I tried lots of different lights. finally I decided to try a LED light (from Ebay $65) designed for hydroponics. I now throw out chaeto every couple weeks.

And fwiw, don't flush Chaeto down the toilet. It tends to clog the toilet up.

Bunnee911, dmw913 and MrWheelock like this.
  10. PopaSmurph

PopaSmurph Member

I know my aqua clear 20 fuge isn't comparable to some of your setups but in my opinion my best growth happens after i dispose 2/3 of my cheato every two weeks. Its literary a brick when i take it out. I thin it out an stuff it back in and poof another brick in two weeks. My nutrients are low so I figured there is enough in my case to keep a small amount booming. I feed a half cube pe mysis a day in my 30g if anyone is wondering. But if your having trouble keeping cheato alive why not try throwing out half so it doesn't out compete itself for nutrients and just lives off of what the tank produces instead of dosing p&n that you want to get absorbed eventually. Bigger cheato isn't always better cheato.

11. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Many run a reverse cycle from the DT to keep the overall ph more stable.

12. reefluvrr

reefluvrr Member

Can anyone help explain or direct me to find info how algae is also help feeding our corals? Thanks!!

13. reaper0268

reaper0268 Member

Since adding iron and manganese my chaeto stopped melting and started growing

Whysohigh and Bunnee911 like this.
  14. captainsmitty

captainsmitty Active Member

they have been out of stock for a while now

15. Bob Escher

Bob Escher Bye bye freshwater R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I run 2ML a day of NoPox nothing else keep my fuge light on 18 hours a day nitrates and phosphates are under or at .2 always and I throw a handful of cheato out every week

16. Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel Well-Known Member

I do the same weekly. My iron dose is vanishingly low though. I dose 0.15ml of Fe+Mn a week. I noticed a difference in how lush and green the cheato is almost immediately. Recommended dose per manufacturer is 5ml a week but Randy Holmes Farley helped me figure out how much to add to appox NSW levels of Fe. My Fe supplement bottle will last forever haha

Bunnee911 likes this.
  17. scurvy dawg

scurvy dawg Active Member

I just bought some from LiveAquaria.com, it's hidden in the live food section. Came nice and clean and green. Was pretty cheap too.

Bunnee911 likes this.
  18. WSC

WSC Member

I pulled all of the Cheato out if my tank over a year ago. Tired of it spreading from my fuge to DT. Put it in a cylindrical vase with tank water in my sun porch a year ago. Gave it a glass lid to control evaporation. Still maintaining itself. May be an option for keeping a seed going or a Cheato QT. Temp has ranged from 60f to 90f.

19. JasPR

JasPR Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but if we grow Chaeto to export excess nutrient and the Chaeto won't grow lush because we have such low nutrient levels-- Isn't THAT a good sign?? And a statement that what is not needed will go away ( the opposite of " if you built it, they will come")

20. Scott.h

Scott.h Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

The non scientific explanation is that the algae (as well as corals) collect and absorb food from the water with their skin. They also release this film back into the water of excess, which can be reused by all for food through the excess that was released prior.

reefluvrr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted