Keeping copepods

luapinicap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I want to set up an area to cultivate and harvest copepods and wanted to get some ideas of people who have done it before, to make sure I’m on the right track or missing something.
I currently have a 40 g breeder for a sump and do not have a refugium. I plan to put a hang on the back breeder box on the side of my sump and fill it with either netting or a loofa for the pods to live and breed in. I want to dose that box phyto and hope the pods either spill over into the sump or shake the loofa out in the tank when it looks populated. I have a manifold where I can run a line into the box to keep water moving. I do plan on growing my own phyto for food.

I guess my question is, would this set up work efficiently or should I try to grow pods in a stand alone setup?

Thank you!

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I want to set up an area to cultivate and harvest copepods and wanted to get some ideas of people who have done it before, to make sure I’m on the right track or missing something.
I currently have a 40 g breeder for a sump and do not have a refugium. I plan to put a hang on the back breeder box on the side of my sump and fill it with either netting or a loofa for the pods to live and breed in. I want to dose that box phyto and hope the pods either spill over into the sump or shake the loofa out in the tank when it looks populated. I have a manifold where I can run a line into the box to keep water moving. I do plan on growing my own phyto for food.

I guess my question is, would this set up work efficiently or should I try to grow pods in a stand alone setup?

Thank you!
I prefer this:

It hv good information about culturing them. Some people gets them through live rocks and I hv heard they come on their own in old tanks but don't know reality behind it.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refugium is not needed for copepods or amphipods for that matter . Just some crushed rock rubble in your sump is the preferred method I use and recommend

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back