Keeping different kinds of damsel together?

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my beloved coral beauty a while ago, and I think it may finally be time for a replacement or two.. I've decided not to get another dwarf angel, since it would most likely not be able to live up to its predecessor. The CB was the most friendly fish I've ever had, always trying to hang out with the other fish, and although it went to sleep inside the rocks, I would find it chilling with the clown pair around their torch coral host every morning. If I was to push my luck and get a new one, it would probably turn out to be a coral munching tyrant..

My current tank is a peaceful shallow 32g that is 3 foot long, inhabited by two clowns and a coris wrasse that get along great. Im looking for an inhabitant that is reef-safe and rather peaceful. From what I gather the chrysiptera species are quite peaceful, and I like the looks of both the Starcki and Springier but have trouble choosing between the two.

So my question is, has anyone tried keeping different species of the chrysiptera damsels together, as singles? (in this case a Starcki and Springeri)
I suspect the size of the tank is a limiting factor, but would love to know if anyone has any experience with these?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starckis are quite big and assertive so the smaller springers will probably be bullied in that size of tank on its own. However if you kept a trio of springers it may work out better as the agression would be more distributed. It may work as just a singke springers but its a bit of a risk in that size of tank imo..

I have both separately, a starcki in my red sea reefer 350 and a trio of springers in my nano and i think theyd get along fine as the 4 of them when/if i decide to move them in together.
Both are very peaceful, just the starcki is quite assertive which would be my main concern as he probably wont tear fins as such but could bully into hiding so a trio would work better in that respect. This is all hyporthetical so dont take my word fully for it but just thought id answer as noone else seems to have insight

U

User1

View Badges
Several people here keep multiple damsels together in the chrysiptera family which is typically more peaceful. Starcki's are a bit larger.

Allens, Talbots, Tracy's, Azures, are all good choices. I tend to keep them in groups of 3 or 5 but understand you have a smaller area to work with. It can be done and they add a splash of color and speed.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are right in thinking your tank size is the limiting factor. The starcki are very similar to dwarf angels in my experience, ie they can be semi dominant in a smaller tank.
So I'd personally say go for the one you like the best and either get a single starcki, a pair or trio of springers or option 3 something else. My personal something else would be a pair of azure damsels. They have the colouring of the starcki, aren't very aggressive and you will more than likely see breeding behaviour. I have such a pair and they breed near constant but don't cause any issues for my other fish. Their little territory is about 2ft, hence why I'd only get two in your tank.
Alternatively allens damsels are great and you could have a group of them.

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starckis are quite big and assertive so the smaller springers will probably be bullied in that size of tank on its own. However if you kept a trio of springers it may work out better as the agression would be more distributed. It may work as just a singke springers but its a bit of a risk in that size of tank imo..

I have both separately, a starcki in my red sea reefer 350 and a trio of springers in my nano and i think theyd get along fine as the 4 of them when/if i decide to move them in together.
Both are very peaceful, just the starcki is quite assertive which would be my main concern as he probably wont tear fins as such but could bully into hiding so a trio would work better in that respect. This is all hyporthetical so dont take my word fully for it but just thought id answer as noone else seems to have insight

Several people here keep multiple damsels together in the chrysiptera family which is typically more peaceful. Starcki's are a bit larger.

Allens, Talbots, Tracy's, Azures, are all good choices. I tend to keep them in groups of 3 or 5 but understand you have a smaller area to work with. It can be done and they add a splash of color and speed.
I believe you are right in thinking your tank size is the limiting factor. The starcki are very similar to dwarf angels in my experience, ie they can be semi dominant in a smaller tank.
So I'd personally say go for the one you like the best and either get a single starcki, a pair or trio of springers or option 3 something else. My personal something else would be a pair of azure damsels. They have the colouring of the starcki, aren't very aggressive and you will more than likely see breeding behaviour. I have such a pair and they breed near constant but don't cause any issues for my other fish. Their little territory is about 2ft, hence why I'd only get two in your tank.
Alternatively allens damsels are great and you could have a group of them.

Thank you very much for the great inputs!

The azure damsels do look very intriguing as well, but Im really falling for the look of the Starcki. I think Im gonna go with 1 Starcki and 1 Springeri and hope for a bit of luck. Fortunately, I do have a frag tank in which I can place either of them in case of problems.

U

User1

View Badges
Thank you very much for the great inputs!

The azure damsels do look very intriguing as well, but Im really falling for the look of the Starcki. I think Im gonna go with 1 Starcki and 1 Springeri and hope for a bit of luck. Fortunately, I do have a frag tank in which I can place either of them in case of problems.

One other option is to take a quick look at the captive bred flame fin damsel (also known as Blue) that Pacific East Aquaculture has. Same fish but the captive bred has red on the fins. A bit more expensive than the blue but still in the easy going Damsel family.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other option is to take a quick look at the captive bred flame fin damsel (also known as Blue) that Pacific East Aquaculture has. Same fish but the captive bred has red on the fins. A bit more expensive than the blue but still in the easy going Damsel family.

Best of luck!

Wow that one looks amazing, way better than the wild one IMO? Unfortunately, I don't think they're available here in europe :( - if only they were!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back