Keeping group of powder browns or clown tang ?!?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Always wanted a large group of yellow tangs for the new 270 that's just coming online but with current prices - fuhgeddaboudit

So powder browns and clowns seems to be cheap now and I'm thinking say a group of 7. I know clowns tend to be aggressive and PBs are ick magnets but I'm hoping in a group...

Possible?!?

I swear I have not smoked anything before asking this question.

Please LMK so I have an idea which way I'm going.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are going to be a problem in a 270. They are just so mean - 95% of them - Not only will they turn on each other but they will got after anything else in the tank.

Powder Browns are less tempermental. I have to say having done this for a long long time I don't think I have ever seen a tank with a school of Powder Browns.

If you are looking for a working fish (tangs that eat algae), then a pack of Scopas could be even less expensive and be of more utility. If you are looking for the Acanthurus tangs, I think before I got a pack of Powder Browns, I would try a collection of - Powder Blue, Achilles, Gold Rim, Powder Brown. If these were all sourced small at the same time you would most likely end up with the same amount of schooling you would get with all the Powder Browns.

Be aware that the schooling in a 270g isn't going to occur like you imagine. The fish will be all over the tank. In my 400g I had 9 yellows, 3 Purples, Black, Gem, Achilles, Powder Blue and Chevron. And this was action and color all over the tank. But at sunrise and before the lights turn on at 4pm - I shut off all the pumps for 90mins (except Return). I run a high flow tank. Without the heavy flow in the tank the tangs all got together in a pack and moved across the reef picking at algae.

That really is a sight to see.

Dave B

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a bad idea.

Powder browns are one of the most aggressive tangs. They don’t like competition.

Maybe it might work out well because you’ll have 7 (not sure), but I know from personal experience that the powder tangs hate each other.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Clowns are going to be a problem in a 270. They are just so mean - 95% of them - Not only will they turn on each other but they will got after anything else in the tank.

Powder Browns are less tempermental. I have to say having done this for a long long time I don't think I have ever seen a tank with a school of Powder Browns.

If you are looking for a working fish (tangs that eat algae), then a pack of Scopas could be even less expensive and be of more utility. If you are looking for the Acanthurus tangs, I think before I got a pack of Powder Browns, I would try a collection of - Powder Blue, Achilles, Gold Rim, Powder Brown. If these were all sourced small at the same time you would most likely end up with the same amount of schooling you would get with all the Powder Browns.

Be aware that the schooling in a 270g isn't going to occur like you imagine. The fish will be all over the tank. In my 400g I had 9 yellows, 3 Purples, Black, Gem, Achilles, Powder Blue and Chevron. And this was action and color all over the tank. But at sunrise and before the lights turn on at 4pm - I shut off all the pumps for 90mins (except Return). I run a high flow tank. Without the heavy flow in the tank the tangs all got together in a pack and moved across the reef picking at algae.

That really is a sight to see.

Dave B

Really appreciate your reply!

Re clowns; I was hoping a group would behave differently but I see what you mean, they'd probably go one by one eliminating the weakest - one at a time.

Re Powder Brown, I haven't either but hoped somebody would chime in.

Definitely looking for working fish but at the same time don't want anything drab, scopas are just too plain I feel. One or two I feel is ok but a group of 7 brown fish, not sure anymore.

Everybody does one of this, one of that, one of that. I really wanted to try a group of the same species and not a collection of one/each. Achiles is also out of budget, I tend not to spend that much per fish. Perhaps a mix of Powder Blue and Powder Brown...but then we're back to original question.

The group that moved across your tank picking at algae must have been a really nice sight for sure. I love that behavior and witnessed it many times while snorkeling.

Either way, thanks for chiming in.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That sounds like a bad idea.

Powder browns are one of the most aggressive tangs. They don’t like competition.

Maybe it might work out well because you’ll have 7 (not sure), but I know from personal experience that the powder tangs hate each other.

Hoping someone can chime in that has kept them in a group. I'm hoping that the fact that they are in a group might change their behavior.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back